• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
financial I guess.

They have an Academy team (funded by RA) which beat NSW last week.

I assume their focus is on that.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
financial I guess.

They have an Academy team (funded by RA) which beat NSW last week.

I assume their focus is on that.

I think you are right although it isnt an academy team. RugbyWA held trials last month to select this team and invited schools and club players from which their current team is picked. Rugby WA have aligned themselves with the national "Schools and u18's" program which receives funding from the ARU and feeds through to national "Schools and u18" selection in October. The schoolboy champs being held in Sydney this week no longer receive funding.

The WA team have a mixture of club and schoolboy players in it and play 3-4 games over the next month or so.

I spoke to a parent of one of the team members - he basically said RugbyWA have thrown their lot in with the national program and the schools are on board.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Max Plath scores 2 tries in Qld's win in the semis of the national rugby championship. Qld 1 play NSW 1 in the final on Saturday.
From twitter.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Spot on Reg , would love to know how many Academy lads are fronting up for NSW 1&2 .

Great to see the lads from Qld that probably wouldn’t have got a look performing well and taking the chance they have been given, as mentioned by a few , keep casting the net and you never know what you might find .

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
66438596_392402964968188_5194641804959416320_n.png

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep , the starting 13.

He played for WA at the U16 National Champs at TSS in 2017 and made the Australian U16 Merit team, was offered spots in a few schools over here after that.

Great to see he has picked up where he left off in WA.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Terrace experience seemed to be a bit of a cluster f*£k. By the end he was living on his own, not something I'd want a schoolboy to be doing. Unless you have boarding facilities schools need to keep kids at home so have to recruit locally.