• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
As per previous - NSW Schools selection is not the only criteria to make GEN BLUE.

It is entirely possible that he didn't have a spot in GEN BLUE prior (but i still think he did if it is the same kid we are talking about). But regardless - if not - the GEN BLUE selectors may have seen he missed NSW Schools selection and invited him into Academy. He gets in via the green dotted line.

This shows the new system working and picking up these talented kids regardless of selection omissions by whatever association.

Correct that's what i said from the start. I have a boy in a 1st team so am very familiar with the talent pool and the process both at club and schools. I'm more concerned with the power struggles between selectors, where one group deemed a kid not good enough (schools) yet the other (NSW selectors) see potential. The selection process can have a big impact as boys look to transition into colts etc. These boys are being offered scholarship and opportunities based on their performance. Will be interested to see if there is collaboration from both sides to achieve the best result for the team and the individuals. Really there are alot of boys with equal ability in same positions.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
As per previous - NSW Schools selection is not the only criteria to make GEN BLUE.

It is entirely possible that he didn't have a spot in GEN BLUE prior (but i still think he did if it is the same kid we are talking about). But regardless - if not - the GEN BLUE selectors may have seen he missed NSW Schools selection and invited him into Academy. He gets in via the green dotted line.

This shows the new system working and picking up these talented kids regardless of selection omissions by whatever association.

Gary , the kid was stitched up ranked 4th best in his position and therefore missed the schools selection for NSW1 and NSW2.

Quite simply he was added after the fact that he missed selection, not prior.

The boy was available for NSW schools and missed out , can't be explained any clearer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct that's what i said from the start. I have a boy in a 1st team so am very familiar with the talent pool and the process both at club and schools. I'm more concerned with the power struggles between selectors, where one group deemed a kid not good enough (schools) yet the other (NSW selectors) see potential. The selection process can have a big impact as boys look to transition into colts etc. These boys are being offered scholarship and opportunities based on their performance. Will be interested to see if there is collaboration from both sides to achieve the best result for the team and the individuals. Really there are alot of boys with equal ability in same positions.

From what I understand this is the basically the whole genesis behind the reintroduction of Academies and RA's withdrawal of funding from Aust Schools - a dissatisfaction around talent ID. You only have to look through some of the baabaa / combined states teams of late (and even players who missed out) to see there have been some pretty big gaps in talent IT at schools.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
what - wait! there were rankings ?

Gary , the kid was stitched up ranked 4th best in his position and therefore missed the schools selection for NSW1 and NSW2.

Quite simply he was added after the fact that he missed selection, not prior.

The boy was available for NSW schools and missed out , can't be explained any clearer.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes the rankings system has always been around to pick teams.

Players are ranked early in the season also to pick the GPS teams.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Suggestions for the Under 18 2019 team?
1. Zane Nongor
3. Harry Vella*
7. William Roach* (selected but didn’t play due to injury)
8. George Gibson
10. Carter Gordon*
12. Reesjan Pasitoa*
13. JoJo Fifita / Mayson Hill
14. Josh Flook
15. John Connolly*

*capped

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Suggestions for the Under 18 2019 team?
1. Zane Nongor
3. Harry Vella*
7. William Roach* (selected but didn’t play due to injury)
8. George Gibson
10. Carter Gordon*
12. Reesjan Pasitoa*
13. JoJo Fifita / Mayson Hill
14. Josh Flook
15. John Connolly*

*capped

Also for consideration:

Hugh Bokenham - NSW (as a lock)
Papillon Sevele - NSW (Uni Colts 1 as a No.8)
Joe Brial & Daniel Botha - NSW (both in the mix)
Jude Gibbs - NSW (as a 10)
Nick Chan - NSW (as a centre)
Dan O'Brien - NSW (as a centre / winger)
Tolu Koula - NSW (outside back)
Kaeo Weekes - NSW (outside back)
Lachlan Albert - NSW (halfback)

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Also for consideration:

Hugh Bokenham - NSW (as a lock)
Papillon Sevele - NSW (Uni Colts 1 as a No.8)
Joe Brial & Daniel Botha - NSW (both in the mix)
Jude Gibbs - NSW (as a 10)
Nick Chan - NSW (as a centre)
Dan O'Brien - NSW (as a centre / winger)
Tolu Koula - NSW (outside back)
Kaeo Weekes - NSW (outside back)
Lachlan Albert - NSW (halfback)
Was Albert in the team last year?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Under 18 Academy Schedule - anyone know whether the game in September for QLD is at Ballymore or Nudgee?
The NSW Waratah site say Boondall.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
original draw had it as Ballymore assume as lead in to the Brisbane City v NSW Country NRC game

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If it does end up being at Nudgee , it will be nice for the non NC lads to play on Ross Oval in front of a supportive crowd. :)