• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian U/19 v. England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If the team (the NSW contingent) is not picked on Colts form then it won't do too well either.

Spewn - in your opinion, which form age eligible Colts players from Sydney missed out on selection in the team that played on Monday?

Iluv

I had them written down on a card but could have had written both the Oz Schools game and Oz A game dtes down wrongly - even the time of today's game is different to what I had. I checked yesterday but could have misread it as I would have been loathe to contradict what you said yesterday.

Mind you I tried to make a phone call on my TV remote control a couple of weeks ago - it could have been another senior moment.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Spewn - in your opinion, which form age eligible Colts players from Sydney missed out on selection in the team that played on Monday?

The problem I have is that the names in the programme each week do not correspond to the players. I do not think Holloway, Connor or Killingworth have been good. Killingworth's been injured, Connor has no presence and Holloway has been workmanlike. In terms of forwards, I have enjoyed the backrow of Eastwood, Manly and Easts, particularly when the reserve flanker comes on. The manly 7 is listed as Mitch Daniel and the 8 as Jordy Reid. If those two guys are the ones with long hair then they should have been considered if the right age. The big manly prop(white), Gillespie at Eastwood, George Kent and Kyle Shewan, and the Waringah props have impressed. The Uni hooker, Latu, and the Easts hooker, Fainga'a. Chris Ingate for Uni. Jesse Harris at although carrying some condition. Carmichael at Gordon. I could name more but the point is that the selection was not based on colts form. it was just renaming the same players from last year.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The problem I have is that the names in the programme each week do not correspond to the players. I do not think Holloway, Connor or Killingworth have been good. Killingworth's been injured, Connor has no presence and Holloway has been workmanlike. In terms of forwards, I have enjoyed the backrow of Eastwood, Manly and Easts, particularly when the reserve flanker comes on. The manly 7 is listed as Mitch Daniel and the 8 as Jordy Reid. If those two guys are the ones with long hair then they should have been considered if the right age. The big manly prop(white), Gillespie at Eastwood, George Kent and Kyle Shewan, and the Waringah props have impressed. The Uni hooker, Latu, and the Easts hooker, Fainga'a. Chris Ingate for Uni. Jesse Harris at although carrying some condition. Carmichael at Gordon. I could name more but the point is that the selection was not based on colts form. it was just renaming the same players from last year.

Unfortunately Spewn is correct. Agenda based selections get you into schoolboys sides, followed by 19s and then 20s. By the time these guys get to 23 half of them will be upset that they didn't get trades because alot cant play. The key performers of all colts teams were never going to be looked at. Some maybe but the majority, I dont think so.

T

tranquility

Is the skipper of this side, going to be tall enough to play lock at senior level? He sounds like a gooden, and I suppose he could still have potential at 6 if he is not tall, and good enough of course.

W

waves

Well said spewn thinking about selection there are still alot of boys yet to have been given a crack. I still thought the side put on the paddock should have done the job, Many changes in my thought to Aus u19s to next year's Aus u20s.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is the skipper of this side, going to be tall enough to play lock at senior level? He sounds like a gooden, and I suppose he could still have potential at 6 if he is not tall, and good enough of course.

He'll be good enough to be a Super player down the track I reckon, very skilful at the lineout and around the park and a hard young player. Still only 18 and 198 cms though he needs to put on a bit of pork at 108 kgs. Is a regular 1st grader now for Wests.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

His DOB is 23/9/92; so he turns 19 next month. He was 103kgs at school last year (part of that Hills SHS pack that weighed more than the Tahs) and was listed at 108 kgs at the beginning of this season; so could have put on a bit of pork since then - all the better. Probably more important is that he has a bit of dog in him to go with the skill. I don't know the lad but I have heard those favourable comments about him before and that he is a natural leader.

Not yet 19, he could get taller, but there is a bit of neck in that height, though who knows what his reach is?

T

tranquility

ha ha, i find it so funny when you talk about neck length and wingspan...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - folks talk about height and sometimes quibble about a lock's height difference of 3-4 centimetres with great seriousness, when it can be a bunk comparison.

If a taller player has a long neck and a shorter one a shorter neck, their shoulders (read arm sockets) could start at the same level - yet we crow about the taller guy.

Then if the taller one with the long neck also has short arms, and the the shorter guy, long arms, you could find that shorty can actually reach up higher.

Further, if short neck has a good vertical jump he could be more easily lifted than long neck who is a pot plant, because the lifting effort starts higher off the ground. Then you have to take into account the skill of catching the ball and especially catching it at full stretch even over the opponent's side of the line of touch. And then you have to think if the bloke can have soft hands, or one soft hand, with arms at full stretch, like an elite slips fielder going for a wide, high catch.

I imagine that the guys with the clipboards at super outfits get potential lineout jumpers to raise their arms and measure how high they can reach up standing still. They would also measure their vertical jump as NFL guys do for their wide receivers and corner backs and safeties. Then they would measure the other stuff which is done with their eye and not with a tape.

Yeah - sometimes 3-4 cms in a 2nd rower's height can be neither here nor there.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Discussion on this game and any further discussion on the England team should made in the relevant thread in the Schools forum. (There is already discussion about the England team on the Australian Schools team thread).QUOTE]

LG,

Why is that forum closed to comments?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some careless moderator must have accidentally closed it. Don't worry - I, fearless Lee Grant, have re-opened it for the rugby masses.

Any suggestions that I was the careless moderator may be completely accurate but cannot be proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.