• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian U/19 v. England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The fellows who watch Colts would have a better idea that me.

It's strange that the ARU had the wrong birth dates at one time, but they were a lot better than the IRB with their listings in 2010. One third of the Oz U/20 birth dates were wrong.

D

Doc

The Brisbane u19 side in full. Some of these guys would be a real show for an Oz 19s. Alot of prem players. And a few who trained with the u20s such as Ready, O'Hare etc

O'Hare is possibly one of the more underrated players getting around. His elevation to prem grade first year out of school was most likely due to playing at a very weak club, but he is an exceptional talent. He spent his school years in the same backrow as Gill so was overshadowed a little bit.

1. Elijah Palupe
2. Andrew Ready
3. Michael Bermingham
4. Mitch Carpenter
5. Sam Reiser
6. Gerard O’Hare
7. Michael Richards
8. Luke Beauchamp ©
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake Milne
11. James Klassen
12. Steven Hunt
13. Con Foley
14. Walter Petaia
15. Mitch Felsman

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Gerard O'Hare is one of the hardest hitting players I've come across. Has played two seasons of premier grade and probably deserves to come into contention. Same goes for Mitch Felsman, very quick and a great finisher (and Goal Kicker).
Obviously I can't compare against other states, but these two QLD guys should be selected.

Btw Stollberg is gone for the season reports tell me

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Colts corner in rugby news this week had the form players of the colts comp this year, you would assume some of them would be eligible for the U19s squad.
http://rugbynews.org/sport/rugbynews.nsf/RugbyAdminNews/BED94D13BBA775B9CA2578C2000CFF87/$FILE/RN11%20Issue%2013_final%20for%20web.pdf

D

downer

Impact players listed in Colts Report in Rugby News - surely some of these were born in 1992?

Eastwood: Kyle Shewin, George Kent, Blake Sutton
Manly: Maile Hingano and "organized forward pack"
Uni: Matt Armour, Chris Ingate, Tom Lamont
Randwick: Zeb Holmes-Baer, Mark Bannon, Tom Connor
West Harbour: Sam Muller and "physical forward pack"
Warringah: Tim Donlan, Chris Arnold
Gordon: Gordon Broome, Henry Carmichael, Mark O'Dare
Southern Districts: Jed Holloway, Marcus Carbone, Waldo Wessels
Northern Suburbs: Hugh Sinclair, Joey McElhone, Josh Calcagno
Parramatta: Nick blacklock, Dan Tully
Eastern Suburbs: Lachie Pigott, Michael Brown, Josh McCormack, Charlie Clifton, Will Fay

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
These fellows from the list of impact players in the Sydney Colts comp are still at school. When they used to play U/19 rep games they never used schoolboys because some of them could be 2 years younger. Therefore I wouldn't expect them to play in an U/19 team now and they have enough rugby distractions from their studies anyway.

Gordon Broome
Waldo Wessels
Josh Calcagno

These fellows were school reps last year when they would have had to be Under 18; so are clearly U/19 now:

George Kent
Maile Hingano
Chris Ingate
Tom Connor
Tim Donlan
Jed Holloway
Will Fay
Sam Muller
Mark Bannon
Josh McCormack

There would have been a few I missed, no doubt.

Add to them the fellows who have been graded such as Apo and Cummins and you would be able to come up with a decent NSW U/19 team.

Then add the Qlders and lads from outside the state that other folks know more about than NSW people do, put Gill as the captain, and Bob is your Uncle.

The trouble with a 2011 U/19 team for a one-off match is that they wouldn't have a warm-up game.

I'd like to see the U/19 system come back because it would help to select the Oz U/20 team for the following year. A home and away Tri Series NSW v Qld v Combined States would be good. Just one round would be better than nothing.

No schoolboys should be used.

[PS - the 3 current schoolboys mentioned have a hard edge to their play. It may be in hindsight, but it underwrites the opinion that Colts rugby makes men out of boys.]

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Does anybody know how 8. Waita Setu and the smallish 2. Joe O'Reagan are playing - also 11/14/15 Lindsay Crook in Canberra and utility Jason Seage?

Lee

Waita Setu is playing league for the Brisbane Broncos U20s and O'Reagan union for Norths Colts. Heard he was playing OK in a new-look team.

U

Upright

Lee as always you are on the money. The three you have missed are the three I mentioned initially Sutton (10 - Eastwood) McCaffery (7- Eastwood) and Carmichael (10/12 - Gordon) All three finished school in 2009 as Under 17's and all three played 1sts Colts in 2010, while their peers (your second group) were still at school. McCaffery has done well in Woodies 1st grade this year while Sutton and Carmichael have been stand outs in Colts. Also like the look of the Manly winger Arnold, another one who finished school in 2009, but is still under 19. Need to include these lads not just the ones who have school based CV's. Pity about Miller and Killingworth being injured both promising.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought Lachy McCaffery was the older brother of the Miles who is in this age group? Mind you Miles is playing 2nd grade for the woodies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Miles is the younger brother of Lachie and he has started in 1st Grade already this year when Alcock hasn't been available for the Woodies. Cheeky young bugger and doesn't get fazed playing against his seniors. Is in the Tahs amateur Academy and played some good games for the Junior Tahs too. A bit Gill-like. Would be perfect for an U/19 team.

Not to the point but people may say that Gill shouldn't play in this game but I think it would be perfect for his development as a leader. I'd even give him a quasi coaching role in getting the backrow singing off the same song sheet.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is David Hickey 19? Solid effort to crack into Uni 1st grade at his age

Either 19 or 20. A good effort indeed though he will likely be displaced as Super players return.

What people may not realise is that he played mostly at hooker in the Joeys Ones

F

feedhimbra

Where is there official information about this game? When/where/why ? I havent heard anything about it...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There isn't much as far as I know.

The date is 21 Aug. and the location is somewhere in Sydney. There is an England team touring and will play against Oz Schools and Oz A Schools - and Oz U/19.

It is not known (to me at least) if the England team comprises only lads who have just left school at the conclusion of their school year in 2011 as our touring team over there always does, or if they are bringing players who left school in earlier years.

Or are they bringing a fully fledged U/19 team which will be the kernel of their team for their 2012 U/20 tournament? Looking at the fixtures list it is unclear. When our schoolboys tour they often play against fully fledged U/19 teams yet our lads always have to be U/18 to even play for their school.

If it's schoolboys only (just left) our schools team will have a chance and indeed they beat the Poms here last time, and our U/19 will have an unfair advantage instead of it being the other way around, as usual. Not that they should be thought of as automatic winners: after all Oz Schools has beaten U/19 England teams in the past on tour.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Will Skelton, I am very interested in this kids development. Anyone seen him play this season? Bruce maybe?

Liam Gill would tear any team to shreds if he gets the nod to play. Would love to see it.

I think the game is on at Riverview, Sydney

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree on Willie but I've heard nothing about him this year, or more likely have heard and forgotten. He's playing 1st Grade Colts for Uni at the minute. There might be something in the Colts thread - have a look.

There's nothing stopping Gill from playing with the Super season over and not being involved with the Wallabies. As mentioned before: it will be a priceless opportunity for his leadership development and I would take the opposing view: that the ARU insist that he play, and be mentored in leadership.

For anybody who wants to respond that he shouldn't need a mentor, let me give you some life experience: everybody needs them.

Joe - what makes you think the game is on at View? Or did you just go with a vibe? I love the vibe.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will Skelton, I am very interested in this kids development. Anyone seen him play this season? Bruce maybe?

Joe, I've watched quite a bit of Will this season. He remains very much a work in progress with his playing style still being largely that of the big kid playing with the little kids. He has to develop as a footballer who is technically proficient with his size as a bonus. I don't doubt that he will get there but he has been involved in three different systems this year - Waratahs Academy, Sydney Uni and Samoa under 20s.

Among the Uni first year Colts is a player who is thus far below the radar - Jack Sullivan. He is only playing 2nds Colts - not unusual at Uni with David Hickey and Sam Talakai both playing 2nds Colts last year and First Grade this year.

I think Sullivan came from Knox where he was a winger/fullback. This season he has been switched to 12 which is going to be his position. I can't remember seeing a kid who ticks so many boxes at inside centre. He is 107kg and has been a highly ranked 200m sprinter and beach sprinter, being part of a Manly Surf Club team which won the Under 19 State beach relay title this year. He also has an exceptional vertical jump for a big man.

He does not have great acceleration but very high range top end speed. He can step off either foot, has a big fend and breaks the defensive line with ease. He is a very effective and bruising tackler.

He has a long and accurate kick out of hand and kicks goals. Two games back against Parramatta he scored five tries including a couple where he carried defenders over the line and one where he easily gassed defenders on the outside.

The way I see him, as he matures he will be able to play the modern giant 12 game as well as play a second-five role. Definitely one for the little black book

Status
Not open for further replies.