• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Beale and Cooper in boozy incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Adjournment.

Kurtley Beale assault case adjourned
Updated: 17:35, Wednesday February 6, 2013​
A court case involving allegations rugby union star Kurtley Beale assaulted a Brisbane bouncer has been adjourned for two weeks.​
Beale was to face a hearing in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday. However a Queensland Justice Department spokesman on Wednesday confirmed the Wallabies playmaker's case had been moved to February 20.​
Beale, 23, faced a Brisbane court last July after allegations he hit a bouncer at the Victory Hotel, in Brisbane's CBD, on the morning before an Australia-Wales Test on June 8.​
It is alleged the incident followed a refusal by hotel staff to allow entry for Beale and teammate Quade Cooper.​
Now based in Melbourne, Beale faced one count of common assault. The matter was set down for Wednesday for hearing but was brought on early to relist it on February 20.​
The Australian Rugby Union postponed a disciplinary process concerning Beale until the police matter was resolved, meaning he remained available for Super Rugby games, All Blacks Tests and the Wallabies Spring tour of Europe.​
Beale was one of the stars of the European tour where the Wallabies had mixed results.​

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This went back to court today for a mention and the two parties have agreed to enter mediation.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-over-assault-allegations-20130220-2eqn9.html

Hopefully it all winds up pretty soon. I wonder if the ARU will do anything about the matter now that it is so long after the fact. It would seem fairly pointless at this stage. Any punishment now would really just be retribution from the ARU rather than acting as any sort of deterrent for the future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This went back to court today for a mention and the two parties have agreed to enter mediation.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-over-assault-allegations-20130220-2eqn9.html

Hopefully it all winds up pretty soon. I wonder if the ARU will do anything about the matter now that it is so long after the fact. It would seem fairly pointless at this stage. Any punishment now would really just be retribution from the ARU rather than acting as any sort of deterrent for the future.

Since when was retribution not a legitimate aim?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Since when was retribution not a legitimate aim?

For what purpose at this point?

The ARU would only be drawing negative attention to Australian Rugby at the point when the story is becoming a bit of a non-event. If mediation is successful and the whole thing goes away it would make even less sense for the ARU to bring new life to the issue.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is the purpose of punishment?
If it's only purpose is spinning public perceptions, then you have a point.If it is other than that, then timing should not be an issue.
I personally think that a Wallabies jersey is still an honour, that requires certain minimum standards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What is the purpose of punishment?
If it's only purpose is spinning public perceptions, then you have a point.If it is other than that, then timing should not be an issue.
I personally think that a Wallabies jersey is still an honour, that requires certain minimum standards.

Read this: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...d-from-rising-crime-costs-20130219-2epdq.html

If punishment is meant to act as a deterrent, it does very little if it is delivered long after the fact.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What he is saying is that quick justice is more effective and cost efficient.Nowhere does he suggest that unless it is quick, it should be dropped.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For what purpose at this point?

The ARU would only be drawing negative attention to Australian Rugby at the point when the story is becoming a bit of a non-event. If mediation is successful and the whole thing goes away it would make even less sense for the ARU to bring new life to the issue.
t'was facetious

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think we've seen that the ARU are perfectly happy to go down the retribution route aka Quade's rookie contract.
So what's the difference between retribution and consequences?

ARU should never have given in to Cooper on that deal

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
There is a very good reason for the ARU to act, even after all of this time.
Players need to realise that they are high profile and hence represent the ARU in everything they do.

If they misbehave, it has consequences on the ARUs revenue. The ARU needs to send a message to its players that it wont tolerate this, and so need to hand out a punishment. I would also think this would be done behind closed doors.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I think we've seen that the ARU are perfectly happy to go down the retribution route aka Quade's rookie contract.
Cooper is very lucky to have a contract at all given he publicly criticised his employer and clearly stated he had no confidence in them.
If I did that I would think I would be job hunting again.

But putting Cooper on a rookie contract (if that is what they did, I thought it emerged that this wasnt the case) is merely sending a message to other players that the ARU wont stand for dissent in public. And fair enough too. Its not retribution.
Vengence by the ARU would be stupid. Its biggest asset is its players and it doesnt want to put them offside.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
As much as I'd love to reply, I feel that it'd start going off track. I do agree with some of your points Farva, but there are some I feel the ARU let themselves down by mud slinging with Khoder.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I was the ARU, I wouldn't provide any hearing or punishment to KB (Kurtley Beale) now as this is very likely to disappear into the ether and have very limited mention in the press in the future (the same as Cooper's laptop incident once it entered mediation).

Any attention drawn to the issue would only tarnish rugby's image and take press coverage away from the actual rugby being played.

I would say to KB (Kurtley Beale) privately that this issue hasn't gone away and will be considered during his upcoming contract negotiations with the ARU. Any financial penalty can be imposed then and subtracted from his contract.

I find it almost impossible to believe that the ARU would impose a match based suspension on KB (Kurtley Beale) after this length of time.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If I was the ARU, I wouldn't provide any hearing or punishment to KB (Kurtley Beale) now as this is very likely to disappear into the ether and have very limited mention in the press in the future (the same as Cooper's laptop incident once it entered mediation).

I agree that this will end up being the likely end to the story. All I hope is the ARU ensures support and guidance is given to Kurtley regarding booze. He's conditioning seemingly improved remarkably once he was in Wallaby camp. So, his self-control over booze seems to have waned. I would hate to see his talent be thrown away like Walker did with his battle with the drink.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that this will end up being the likely end to the story. All I hope is the ARU ensures support and guidance is given to Kurtley regarding booze. He's conditioning seemingly improved remarkably once he was in Wallaby camp. So, his self-control over booze seems to have waned. I would hate to see his talent be thrown away like Walker did with his battle with the drink.

Absolutely. Like many young people he needs good role models around him.

He's still only 24 and plenty of people his age do dumb things.

Hopefully as he matures he'll recognise the situations to avoid where things go badly for him and realise how well things can go for him when he's focused, fit and healthy. It will also help him as his mates (Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) etc.) also mature and start making smarter decisions.

The comparison to Walker seems a bit off as Walker's problems seemed to happen away from his teammates where as Beale's seem to happen when he's with his teammates (and in particular the three amigos).

Status
Not open for further replies.