• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 New Zealand vs Australia, August 7 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What I’d like to see as the Wallabies side at this stage -

Slipper
Paenga-Amosa
Tupou
Swain
Salakai-Loto
Swinton
Hooper
Wilson
McDermott
Lolesio
Koroibete
Paisami
Ikitau
Wright
Banks

Bell
Uelese
Ala'alatoa
Philip
Valetini
White
Hodge
Petaia

I am probably wrong about McDermott & probably Tupou, but I thought both made a strong play for the starting gig in the series v France. Likewise Swain & Swinton - although I personally thought Valetini was better than he was generally rated on here. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nasirani was retained, but I thought as good as he was Wilson was as good for the first two tests.

Not convinced on Hodge in the back up playmaker role, especially given the rest of the backline, but I think he’s been head and shoulders better than To’omua (of course they could always pick both) and I can’t imagine Paia’aua has jumped that far in the pecking order yet. If Petaia is fit for selection I’d like to see him there - otherwise Hodge probably goes to 23 & To’omua (or maybe Paia’aua) goes to 22.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In my wildest dreams I cannot see Wright starting. He might make the 22.
Maybe. Wright wasn’t great against France, but I thought he was very good last year. With Daugunu & Vunivalu out our wing options are a bit light. Maybe they’ll prefer Hodge or possibly a Kellaway.

As a collective I think sometimes our view on players can be very fickle. 6 weeks ago Valetini was the monster we needed and there were suggestions that Wright was wasted on the wings. Neither of them played the house down, but I just don’t think they are going to slide that far down the pecking order so quickly.

Having said that we want players demanding selection and if Wright does get another gig he will hopefully grab it with both hands (which is what I thought he did last year.)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just hope that Rennie learns from the 3rd French test and we play a tighter game than we did in the first two (albeit because we were forced to after the red card).

Turnovers are the biggest risk against NZ as they are so good at scoring from those opportunities. The more we spread the ball side to side, the more we expose ourselves to a dropped pass or an isolated player at the tackle.

I am pretty confident that Valetini and Wilson would have looked as good as Swinton and Naisarani did in the third test if we were playing closer to that style. Whoever doesn't get picked out of that four will be hard done by.

There's a few choices between starters and bench but I feel like we're pretty settled in the forwards with:

Slipper, Bell, BPA, Uelese, Tupou, Ala'alatoa in the front row.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Philip and Swain at lock.
Four out of Hooper, Swinton, Valetini, Wilson and Naisarani in the backrow.

In the backs, things are a lot more open. Lolesio, Paisami, Koroibete and Banks will start but there's uncertainty over the other positions. McDermott will certainly be in the 23 and probably starting. White at least makes the bench if fit.

At least one of Ikitau, To'omua and Hodge will be starting and at least two make the 23. If Hodge starts on the wing, all three will be in the 23.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe. Wright wasn’t great against France, but I thought he was very good last year. With Daugunu & Vunivalu out our wing options are a bit light. Maybe they’ll prefer Hodge or possibly a Kellaway.

As a collective I think sometimes our view on players can be very fickle. 6 weeks ago Valetini was the monster we needed and there were suggestions that Wright was wasted on the wings. Neither of them played the house down, but I just don’t think they are going to slide that far down the pecking order so quickly.

Having said that we want players demanding selection and if Wright does get another gig he will hopefully grab it with both hands (which is what I thought he did last year.)

Right on the money TSR. Wright was an essential player last year for the Wallabies, and really only had one shocker, and now he is to be cast on the scrapheap. Very fickle lot indeed.

I like your team, but against the ABs at this stage of his career I'd have Swain on the bench with Philip starting.

There's a lot to like about your backrow, but I reckon one of Valetini, Hooper, Naisarani is just so much stronger and more suited to the tough stuff against NZ. I am not discounting Wilson as the long term No 8, but like Swain, I'd have him come on for the last 20 minutes or thereabouts.

The makeup of the bench will depend on whether it is 5/3 or 6/2 split. A 6/2 split would see Hodge definitely on the bench to cover all spots from 10 to 15. A 5/3 spot could see Paiu'ua come in as cover for 10 and maybe 12.

Choice of starting and bench No 9 will be interesting. Long term, again, definitely Tate but I think Rennie will want a bit of experience there against the ABs and to assist Noah in the playmaking role. Otherwise, don't be surprised if Sio comes onto the bench in 17. Rennie seems to like him after giving him instructions on where to improve.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I just hope that Rennie learns from the 3rd French test and we play a tighter game than we did in the first two (albeit because we were forced to after the red card).

Turnovers are the biggest risk against NZ as they are so good at scoring from those opportunities. The more we spread the ball side to side, the more we expose ourselves to a dropped pass or an isolated player at the tackle.

I am pretty confident that Valetini and Wilson would have looked as good as Swinton and Naisarani did in the third test if we were playing closer to that style. Whoever doesn't get picked out of that four will be hard done by.

There's a few choices between starters and bench but I feel like we're pretty settled in the forwards with:

Slipper, Bell, BPA, Uelese, Tupou, Ala'alatoa in the front row.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Philip and Swain at lock.
Four out of Hooper, Swinton, Valetini, Wilson and Naisarani in the backrow.

In the backs, things are a lot more open. Lolesio, Paisami, Koroibete and Banks will start but there's uncertainty over the other positions. McDermott will certainly be in the 23 and probably starting. White at least makes the bench if fit.

At least one of Ikitau, To'omua and Hodge will be starting and at least two make the 23. If Hodge starts on the wing, all three will be in the 23.

I reckon BH that we might see all five of the backrowers with a 6/2 bench split.

That would leave Hodge on the bench covering 10 - 15, with To'omua missing out. That's how I would go for this test at least.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon BH that we might see all five of the backrowers with a 6/2 bench split.

That would leave Hodge on the bench covering 10 - 15, with To'omua missing out. That's how I would go for this test at least.

After having a winger break his arm in the first minute of the last test, that would be a bold move by Rennie.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After having a winger break his arm in the first minute of the last test, that would be a bold move by Rennie.

Plenty of cover for the backs in that team. Hodgie can play all spots outside No 9 at the same time, Michael Hooper is a natural No 12 and I reckon Harry Wilson would be a bomb at 13.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm waiting for the first 'the ABs will put 80 on us if we play like we did in the France series'.

I got such a laugh hearing the Wallabies on the news talking up their chances of winning there, but what more can you say really. Just say we got no chance and we all know what's coming? Of course they won't say that. However, they struggled to scrape past a miserable France C outfit so I've got absolutely zero confidence of them winning in New Zealand, let alone at the fortress of Eden..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I got such a laugh hearing the Wallabies on the news talking up their chances of winning there, but what more can you say really. Just say we got no chance and we all know what's coming? Of course they won't say that. However, they struggled to scrape past a miserable France C outfit so I've got absolutely zero confidence of them winning in New Zealand, let alone at the fortress of Eden..
You get a laugh out of generic sporting PR? joise.

But, yeah, makes you wonder what the point of playing you c*nts there twice is.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yes, agreed. The tighter game plan seems to suit our pack and I don't mind them playing a touch more conservatively. I think we've had enough of the Cheika run it from everyone style. More direct, more brutality and earning the right to go wide is a good strategy at test level.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB released to play NPC: Sotutu (Counties Manukau), Vaa'i (Taranaki), Perenara & Aumua (Wellington) for Friday & Saturday matches & Ennor (Canterbury) for Sunday: possibly others will be released after Saturday night for Sunday's Aux v Cantabs at Eden Park.

Hopefully that means Jacobson at 8 & Weber as the reserve 9. May also mean Taukei'aho gets a run as I don't think Coles' old man calf has fully recovered yet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

What world do you live in rodha? Of course the Wallabies are talking uo their chances of winning, because like any test team that is exactly what they are going out to do, win the test. I can bet the All Blacks (or most NZ rugby followers with a brain) won't be writing them off. Eden Park doesn't guarantee us a win, we have gone well there over last few years, but it's just a rugby field like the caketin, Suncorp in Brisbane etc etc, and really the players won't be thinking any test is won or lost because of the name of the park.
I sure the Wallabies or ABs will not be waiting with baited breath to see how much confidence you have got, so you having zero confidence will make no difference.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

What an obnoxious post.