• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 New Zealand vs Australia, August 7 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Like I said, Australian Rugby & Dave Rennie's management really need to find more effective methods to retain their players, as they really struggle to put out a decent side after a few injuries/suspensions.

Koroibete, Vunivalu, White and JOC (James O'Connor), are each massive losses in terms of both skill and experience.

Swain & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are both decent players sure, but would quite possibly be the weakest tier-1 locking pairing going around currently.

Now imagine how much stronger their options would be if they could select from: Latu, Rodda, Skelton, Coleman, Arnold, McMahon, & Kerevi.

Even left-field choices would be in a shot of the 23. I'd take Genia over Gordon, Beale over Banks, and possibly even Foley/Leali'ifano over To'omua, etc..
tenor.gif

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree, they should definitely be lobbying World Rugby to select fringe players from the wider Japanese training squad...

Also, bigger centres.... BIGGER CENTRES?!?!!?!??!!?!
Strange absence of bigger centres posts once NZ named two lightweights.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Petaia is an immense talent but has been a bit patchy between injuries.
If there’s one benefit to this suspension debacle it’s that Jordie has an opportunity he may not have otherwise had.
Hope he has a blinder and forces his way into the starting side when koro returns for game 2.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Even left-field choices would be in a shot of the 23. I'd take Genia over Gordon, Beale over Banks, and possibly even Foley/Leali'ifano over To'omua, etc..

What?? How many games have you seen Genia, Beale,Foley and Leili'ifano etc play this year?
You don't possibly think that players are still as good as they were in prime. Bugger me that's like saying ABs should still be playing Kaino, Franks etc etc .

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
10. Mo'unga
11. Ioane
12. Havili
13. ALB
14. Reece
15. McKenzie

If the Wallabies were going to pick a backline to play against out of the ABs' squad, this is probably it. Don't think McKenzie has ever had a good game at 15 against us. Havili and ALB, solid but no flashy. Wingers not the world beaters they were when they debuted. Mo'unga, a good player behind a pack moving forward but at sea when his forwards don't have parity.

Last year I would have agreed with you. This year Reece and Rieko look back to their best.

I actually would call Havili flashy based on his 2021 play at 12 - flick passes, cut out balls, chips and grubbers.

If I would was Wallabies I would be looking to throw up a lot of contestable bombs vs the ABs back 3. Of course the key is getting the weight on the kicks right so they are contestable.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
If I would was Wallabies I would be looking to throw up a lot of contestable bombs vs the ABs back 3. Of course the key is getting the weight on the kicks right so they are contestable.

This is a good point. I don't think the ABs would select the same backline against the Springboks/ England because they know it would likely be an attritional game (read box kicks galore) and that back 3 is potentially suspect under the high ball.

The ABs are aware Wallabies are unlikely to ever have a gameplan based primarily on kicking and applying pressure, so they are able to pick smaller/ more expressive backline with Mackenzie etc to focus on counterattack of turnovers etc.

I'm also not suggesting we head down the relentless box-kicking route; it's not in our DNA and I don't think rugby union in this country needs their most prolific team to emulate the Lions.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm expecting a comfortable All Blacks win.

I actually think we match up pretty well from 1 to 9. If this game was going to be played in the rain and became a tight affair, I think the wallabies would be a chance, particularly coming off a closely contested French Series. The problem for me is our backline; it just doesn't measures up well against theirs. Lolesi looks to be developing nicely as test 10, but Mo'unga is quite clearly the better 10 in 2021 and probably by some margin. I'd struggle to find anyone else in that wallabies backline that you'd pick ahead of their opposite number honestly. Even Petaia is playing out of position and coming off injury. The loss of both Koribete AND Vunivalu means we lack any genuine strike-power on the wings. The backline players they have coming off the bench are also clearly better options than we have. I'm expecting the All Blacks to carve us up out wide and Mo'unga to dominate the contest. Our best bet is probably to keep it tight, try to make it a close game and hopefully we can get some good purchase in the set piece.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Imagine if Wallabies were injury free & could select all their overseas based players:

1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Skelton
5. Arnold
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. McMahon
9. White
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Kerevi
14. Petaia
15. Morahan

16. Bell
17. BPA
18. Tupou
19. Rodda/Philipp
20. Salakaia-Loto
21. McDermott
22. Paia'aua/Riley
23. Vunivalu/Tomane

Remember this absolute cracker try from Luke Morahan??

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Imagine if Wallabies were injury free & could select all their overseas based players:

1. Slipper -Yes
2. Latu - Yes
3. Ala'alatoa - Yes
4. Skelton - Yes
5. Arnold - Yes
6. Valetini - Swinton
7. Hooper - Yes
8. McMahon - Wilson
9. White - Yes
10. O'Connor - Yes
11. Koroibete - Yes
12. Paisami - Yes
13. Kerevi - Yes
14. Petaia - Yes
15. Morahan - Banks

16. Bell - BPA
17. BPA - Bell
18. Tupou - Yes
19. Rodda/Philipp - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Salakaia-Loto - Mcmahon
21. McDermott - Yes
22. Paia'aua/Riley - To'omua
23. Vunivalu/Tomane
- Hodge

Done to death but I like this Game.
Not sure how DP, Morohan and Tomane get in the squad.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Last year I would have agreed with you. This year Reece and Rieko look back to their best.

I actually would call Havili flashy based on his 2021 play at 12 - flick passes, cut out balls, chips and grubbers.

Jury is out on Havili for me, played nearly all his top level rugby behind a perennially strong Crusader pack so interested to see how he goes if the momentum isn’t all behind him. ALB very solid but he’s never caused us a huge amount of problems at Wallaby level.

Wingers certainly have lifted on last year, although I’d be more worried about Ioane at 13. Struggle to see how McKenzie starts in 15.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Petaia is an immense talent but has been a bit patchy between injuries.
If there’s one benefit to this suspension debacle it’s that Jordie has an opportunity he may not have otherwise had.
Hope he has a blinder and forces his way into the starting side when koro returns for game 2.
Au contraire, Petaia is contractually obliged to start any game Mo’unga is playing so he can run over him and generate advertising material. Not sure little Richard has ever successfully brought him down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Erasmus turned around South Africa from 57-0 to WC champions within just 2 years after overhauling their selection criteria.

The Wallabies have far too much valuable experience & young talent playing overseas that aren't available for national selection.

If Australian Rugby & Dave Rennie want to be serious about actually contending with the top 4-5 sides come 2023, they need to make ALL foreign-based players right now automatically eligible to play for Australia, period.

Rennie can pick a couple now if he wanted. If he wanted more they would change the rule to let him pick more. Realistically half the players you've named wouldn't add anything to our team.

The biggest difference between us and South Africa is distance. It's a lot harder to fly back from Europe and play here than it is in South Africa.

There's also the fact that some of the tests we play our outside the international windows.

I hope Rennie uses some overseas based players for the EOYT and then the RWC. Those are the times it actually makes sense.