• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 New Zealand vs Australia, August 7 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Apparently there will be trial rules employed in this match. A confusing one being:

'Cleanout not allowed to drop weight on jackler or target lower limbs'

Not sure what that means but I'm guessing there will be a lot of people going hard on the defensive side of the ruck.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
She didn't though?

Out of date information, at the end of the swimming she had haha. It was more a bit of a piss take on the lack of relevance of Joe Tomane and Rodha’s cousin ‘Riley’ on the Bledisloe Cup thread.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Apparently there will be trial rules employed in this match. A confusing one being:

'Cleanout not allowed to drop weight on jackler or target lower limbs'

Not sure what that means but I'm guessing there will be a lot of people going hard on the defensive side of the ruck.

First bit: stopping kamikaze slams going into the back of the jackal - essentially there is an understanding now that if you are clearing out someone, retaining your feet isn't 100% required if you're talking someone off the ball. In some cases, players have no desire to remove the jackal, just hurt them enough to make them quit.

The danger is you forcing them to pancake chest-to-thighs and causing serious back injury.

The second bit about lower limbs is for protecting joints and things like Brian O'Driscoll's impersonation of a wishbone being split on the 2005 Lions tour. You take out a leg, jackal is no longer on their feet, so they can't take the ball.'

The danger is lateral force on the knee, hip, or ankle which results in serious injury; again, you're not actually cleaning them out, you're just denying them a chance to get the ball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not that we can expect a ref the quality of Williams to get it right anyway.

I like the fact he doesn't get flustered. I'm less impressed with the face he doesn't get the Laws.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
What?? How many games have you seen Genia, Beale, Foley and Leili'ifano etc play this year?
You don't possibly think that players are still as good as they were in prime. Bugger me that's like saying ABs should still be playing Kaino, Franks etc etc .

I forgot to mention Liam Gill - who'd be a much better 7 cover option right now than Fraser McReight.

I've said it before, but I do think Australian rugby needs to be pragmatic about this. Having a world-class lock like Skelton not playing because he plays overseas is a farce in my opinion. Australian rugby won't die out based on domestic competitions being a bit weaker, but it could lose all support for the Wallabies if they aren't competitive against the big teams. The France series shows there's real talent there, even against a weakened French team, there were some good performances. But add in Skelton, Arnold and Kerevi.. and it takes the team to another level.

Look at the Boks side that beat the lions on the weekend. By my count 9 or 10 starters that play club rugby outside South Africa. They won the World Cup with half their squad based overseas. It's a no-brainer really.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
First bit: stopping kamikaze slams going into the back of the jackal - essentially there is an understanding now that if you are clearing out someone, retaining your feet isn't 100% required if you're talking someone off the ball. In some cases, players have no desire to remove the jackal, just hurt them enough to make them quit.

The danger is you forcing them to pancake chest-to-thighs and causing serious back injury.

The second bit about lower limbs is for protecting joints and things like Brian O'Driscoll's impersonation of a wishbone being split on the 2005 Lions tour. You take out a leg, jackal is no longer on their feet, so they can't take the ball.'

The danger is lateral force on the knee, hip, or ankle which results in serious injury; again, you're not actually cleaning them out, you're just denying them a chance to get the ball.

so you cant lift them by the leg to roll them off to one side? that seemed like the most effective way to clear people out.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just checked the Auckland weather forecast for the game. Showers in the morning, OK, but more concerning is the pollen count which is moderate for pine, wattle, hazelnut, alder, cypress and macrocarpa. I think we can take the AB's in the game but for gods sake we need to be able to breath!! Stay safe Wallabies ;)

Reactions: TSR

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I forgot to mention Liam Gill - who'd be a much better 7 cover option right now than Fraser McReight.

I've said it before, but I do think Australian rugby needs to be pragmatic about this. Having a world-class lock like Skelton not playing because he plays overseas is a farce in my opinion. Australian rugby won't die out based on domestic competitions being a bit weaker, but it could lose all support for the Wallabies if they aren't competitive against the big teams. The France series shows there's real talent there, even against a weakened French team, there were some good performances. But add in Skelton, Arnold and Kerevi.. and it takes the team to another level.

Look at the Boks side that beat the lions on the weekend. By my count 9 or 10 starters that play club rugby outside South Africa. They won the World Cup with half their squad based overseas. It's a no-brainer really.

I doubt it. Fraser McReight is very hard on the ball and has a work rate not far off Hoopers. Horses for courses and he is a good bench option for this test. I have not seen LFG playing for a while but even at his best it would be a close run contest with McReight.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Out of date information, at the end of the swimming she had haha. It was more a bit of a piss take on the lack of relevance of Joe Tomane and Rodha’s cousin ‘Riley’ on the Bledisloe Cup thread.

:( It's a bastard when those pisstakes are wrong eh KOB. Still it was a good attempt and understand why you trying it with Rodha ;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
:( It's a bastard when those pisstakes are wrong eh KOB. Still it was a good attempt and understand why you trying it with Rodha ;)

Yeah someone actually told me that and I didn’t check, so to save some face I’ll rephrase by saying that NZ only won as many golds as the number of individual medals that Emma McKeon won. Maybe that’s what the person who told me was actually saying.

Seriously though, NZ must be happy with their performance at this olympics with 7 golds and 19 medals overall.

To give this post some relevance to the thread title, it will be interesting to see how tonight’s game rates v the Olympics. Tonight is traditionally Super Saturday at the athletics but I’m not sure if that’s the case tonight. The good thing about super Saturday from a Bledisloe ratings perspective is there are generally fuck all Australians and New Zealanders competing!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why are we so good at swimming in straight lines but not running in straight lines. Tis a mystery.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Why are we so good at swimming in straight lines but not running in straight lines. Tis a mystery.

Because we don't have a large population of black African descent.
Its no coincidence that our first 800m finalist in 50yrs is of sudanese descent.
And before anyone pulls the race card there are several robust medical papers that look at the biomechanical reasons why persons of this heritage perform so well in running disciplines.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
so you cant lift them by the leg to roll them off to one side? that seemed like the most effective way to clear people out.

That would be my reading of it, yes. Crocodile roll still good.

My issue with these changes is mainly around forgetting that neck rolls exist. Saw a lot in the Olympic 7s.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Wonder if that's part of the reason McReight is on the bench. There may be a lot of penalties earned by jackals in this game, and he's is one of the best.