• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 New Zealand vs Australia, August 7 2021

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Paisami’s first half was brilliant, and To'omua coming on picked the tempo up. I’d even go with To'omua at 13.
Paisami's an interesting case and I'm not completely sold on him yet; he's very abrasive in contact and beats tackles but at the same time his poor security is woeful and has a tendency to throw wild cutout passes under pressure.

Already Ikitau looks more assured than Paisami, if less spectacular.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kellaway showed what a Test winger needs: composure, pace, and defence. Wright fans, take a long look because all the X-factor you wave your hankies at doesn't mean shit compared to actual results. Kellaway threw one bad pass but was otherwise good.
He has started one game and looked solid, nothing more. Let's judge him after another five tests.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Regrettable is a better description than Brave and history says the ABs could well go up 4 levels next week. It was an opportunity to take them down but this team let too many chances slip.

Our line out yips, kicking yips (both for line & goal) and a couple of decisions to kick and cut out when we should have put it through the hands stopped us applying pressure. Again we got caught a few times playing out the back when we should have played more direct. Whilst I thought McDermott & Lolesio (except for his goal kicking) both did plenty right, Mounga’a & Smith were instrumental in the 30 minute period when they took the game away from us.

What we have invariably failed to do over the last 5 yrs (probably 20) is bounce back from a performance like that and click. All our issues tonight are fixable and some (Lolesio & Bank’s kicking) are quite out of character. We showed enough to suggest we have a game to beat these guys, but we need to be on point.

I do think we have the personnel. All the players out there did enough good stuff (possible exception of Petaia who just didn’t see enough ball - not sure whose fault). But they all need to play consistently at/near their best.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
This is what I saw to. Reckon the hoodoo is ripe for breaking next week.

We must all have watched different games. I saw a Wallaby team who "struggled to beat a 2nd or 3rd ranked French team" perform very creditably indeed against a champion team at their fortress, in front of an overwhelming unfriendly crowd.

Not only that, they showed some good patterns in both attack and defence.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Paisami's an interesting case and I'm not completely sold on him yet; he's very abrasive in contact and beats tackles but at the same time his poor security is woeful and has a tendency to throw wild cutout passes under pressure.

Already Ikitau looks more assured than Paisami, if less spectacular.

His attacking defence is another notch on his bow. 2 massive turnovers from attacking tackles in the first 20 minutes. Woeful is strong terminology. Could be better but it ain't woeful.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Past, painful history tells us the All Blacks will come out next week absolutely raging and crush us. But will they do so this time in the new Ian Foster era?

…probably. But maybe it’s the eternal optimist in me, but it’s not quuuuuite the same ultra threatening AB team I’m so agonisingly used to.

Dismal I’m relying on you to quote this post back to all of us in one weeks time after we get carved up.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
His attacking defence is another notch on his bow. 2 massive turnovers from attacking tackles in the first 20 minutes. Woeful is strong terminology. Could be better but it ain't woeful.
*ball security. I don’t think it’s an understatement to claim his ball security is woeful for an international rugby players. He loses the ball in contact every second tackle.

He needs to fix it quickly because it undermines all his good work.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Mate when the crowd are booing every wallabies conversion or PG, you know you’re dealing with a real sporting nation.

Dear NZ, if you’re at a rugby match and the people near you are booing anyone but the refs, and you don’t tell them to grow up and show some humility, you’re as bad as they are.

Huh? Kickers get booed all over the place. Including Suncorp.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just a bit of a left field aside from the game, I thought Retallick was a liability for the white ferns. He’s a smart player and knows how to push the edges, the cheap shot on hooper a case in point, but it looked like he was trying to play to his smarts rather than just play footy, probably how he plays in Japan. I hope Fozzy picks him again for next week, but I wouldn’t.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Overall, that was a very creditable performance against one of the best sides in world rugby. It looks to be a bit of continued improvement in our side, and isn't that what we all want at the moment?

For those ascribing full responsibility for the loss on goal kicking, isn't familiarity with local conditions and inexperience on the part of the visitor what we refer to as home ground advantage? The wind was something else, and Noah didn't have the experience of playing a hundred games at Eden Park in his pocket to get the better of it. Even Mounga had some problems.

Most of the team can do some things better. Most importantly, Hunter Paisami needs to cut out his cutout passes. If I recall correctly, he allowed the French to score one or two intercept tries too from cutout passes (or was it To'omua?). In any case as many of those long passes either fall into the opposition's possession or sail over the sideline. Just put the ball through the hands numbskull. (For the record, I have always thought Hunter is our best No 12, and I still do, but he can be a whole lot better if he learns to use his support players better).

The other waste of effort move that needs to be shelved is the scrum looking to win a penalty on our own feed. I reckon more often than not it ends with a penalty the other way. Just leave the domineering antics for scrums the opposition feed ffs.

So, no wholesale changes for next week. I'd like to see Philip start with Swain off the bench. Darcy did himself proud tonight, but he is green and it's a huge challenge coming up against the top locking pair in world rugby. I'd bring Isi back into 8 and have Wilson on the bench until he finds some form again. Nic White would bring the experience missing in the halves if he's fit. Tate on the bench. When JOC (James O'Connor) is fit, he comes in to the 10 spot and Noah can continue to learn the ropes late in games against the best sides, NZ, SA and Argentina. Marika replaces Jordan Petaia.

That's it. More improvement is what we really want to see, and wins will come our way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Overall, that was a very creditable performance against one of the best sides in world rugby. It looks to be a bit of continued improvement in our side, and isn't that what we all want at the moment?

For those ascribing full responsibility for the loss on goal kicking, isn't familiarity with local conditions and inexperience on the part of the visitor what we refer to as home ground advantage? The wind was something else, and Noah didn't have the experience of playing a hundred games at Eden Park in his pocket to get the better of it. Even Mounga had some problems.

Most of the team can do some things better. Most importantly, Hunter Paisami needs to cut out his cutout passes. If I recall correctly, he allowed the French to score one or two intercept tries too from cutout passes (or was it To'omua?). In any case as many of those long passes either fall into the opposition's possession or sail over the sideline. Just put the ball through the hands numbskull. (For the record, I have always thought Hunter is our best No 12, and I still do, but he can be a whole lot better if he learns to use his support players better).

The other waste of effort move that needs to be shelved is the scrum looking to win a penalty on our own feed. I reckon more often than not it ends with a penalty the other way. Just leave the domineering antics for scrums the opposition feed ffs.

So, no wholesale changes for next week. I'd like to see Philip start with Swain off the bench. Darcy did himself proud tonight, but he is green and it's a huge challenge coming up against the top locking pair in world rugby. I'd bring Isi back into 8 and have Wilson on the bench until he finds some form again. Nic White would bring the experience missing in the halves if he's fit. Tate on the bench. When JOC (James O'Connor) is fit, he comes in to the 10 spot and Noah can continue to learn the ropes late in games against the best sides, NZ, SA and Argentina. Marika replaces Jordan Petaia.

That's it. More improvement is what we really want to see, and wins will come our way.

Top summary BR

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Wasnt the best performance but i thought we played some decent footy at times...honestly they exceeded my expectations. we've been embarrassed more than a few times at eden park in recent years. We werent embarrassed tonight. We looked like a talented footy side outplayed by a better side and ill take that at the moment. We made a fair few silly errors that cost us but i cant be that upset. I thought the boys represented is well and hopefully the young guys learn a good lesson from this - you gotta take your chances if your gonna beat the all blacks in nz.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Take stats as you will but some interesting ones.

Tackles:

BPA - 16 (missed 1)
Hooper -15 (2)
Wilson -14 (2)
Slipper - 13

Loloesio missed 4 tackles

Paisami and Valetini turned the ball over 3 times each.

In attack, Banks lead the way with 7 runs for 47 metres, 2 clean breaks, 3 defenders beaten and one of the most embarrassing fullback drops of all time. But he should continue to build confidence from that. Not often you score a double v the blackness.

Hunter, Kellaway and Tate best of the rest of the backs.

Very tight up front with only BPA, Hooper and Wilson of the starters making a positive dent on the run metres.

I thought Valetini went missing and in fact was no where to be seen for the first 15 mins or so. Stats back up his lack of workload. He did do some good things including a key charge down but he’s a bench player at best for mine. At least for the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kellaway showed what a Test winger needs: composure, pace, and defence. Wright fans, take a long look because all the X-factor you wave your hankies at doesn't mean shit compared to actual results. Kellaway threw one bad pass but was otherwise good.

But speaking of actual results - Wright was more impressive in the game we won against the All Blacks.........

Having said that, I thought Kellaway was solid.

It's the Petaia hype train that has yet to take off.........

I would definitely go with Koroibete/Kellaway for the next match.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont think we should be too hard on Petaia. He saw hardly any ball, which is a big problem in that he can be a major strike weapon. That is not to say he is not in form, as Rennie attested too prior to the test. A couple of times Paisami tried to go wide to him too quickly with disastrous results. Paisamis ball security is a concern but his positive influence outweighs the negative. He needs to work on it.
In order to fit MK in its possible for Petaia to move in one pushing Ikitau to the bench. A bit more size in the midfield would be handy as long as he is up to it defensively. Ikitau was good in this respect but didn’t show much in attack.
McReight on the bench is not viable unless we plan for Hooper to not go the distance, which he always does. Swinton should come into the 23 if fit.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Overall I thinks WBs are looking decent, if not spectacular. Most of the young players are showing flashes of being test players and are making some errors that can be chalked up to inexperience. The depth at forwards right now is better than I can remember in recent memory. No more Timani or Simmons starting or being the first subs, no offense to them. There's very little drop off when subs come in.

As a former winger sometimes the ball just doesn't come your way and I don't think you can hate Petaia for not being more involved. The Kellaway try was obviously not on Petaia's side of the field and the kick through was more to Banks in the middle than outside where Petaia was hanging out. He needs some work, but what player in their early twenties doesn't? Same goes for Lolesio, Paisami.

Not sold on Banks at 15, he's a fine stop gap but ultimately I think you want a lot more from your 15 at international rugby. He's objectively worse than the AB's first 5-10 options and wouldn't get a look in at most international sides (Eng., France, SA, IRE, Scotland, Wales etc.). He reminds me a lot of Jessie Mogg in that respect. I think Hodge would have performed about as well today and would have done a better job kicking for touch. He's also a stop gap kind of player.