• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2. Eden Park, 24th Sept 7.05pm NZT. 5.05 pm AEST, 3.05 WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not saying we shouldn't who the ref is by name, you will pick this up by just watching enough. What I am saying is that I think it's a shame that when we hear certain names you can have a pretty accurate prediction of the way the game will go. Rugby referees definitely each have a brand good or bad.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Overrated compared to...?
to how he plays.

He is a solid player but if you read the hype around him he would be a walk up start in any world xv in the past 50 years.

My comment was " he is over rated".

Note I have watched him play since he was a schoolboy at Ipswich Grammar so not only talking about last season.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I hope so. No more water breaks. A prop that goes down needs to be replaced if he's there for longer than a minute. If he goes down twice, he gets replaced.

I liked how Raynal officiated the scrums too....no mucking around and just made calls pretty quickly and decisively. Once a maul stops for 3 sec, call it once...second time it stops, it's gotta be used in 3 sec. all scrums when the halfback doesn't use the ball immediately (5 sec I think is the law) at the ruck....

I'm here for all of it...

No more scrums please. That will slow the game down. I do like scrums just not every 5 minutes.
Here's an idea for the ruck (to counter the caterpillar tactic and time wasting) , after 5 seconds the ref calls "Balls out" and it's deemed out of the ruck, The opposition are free to come over and pick it up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think most seem to think it’s largely a moot point but you seem to have a major bee in your bonnet about it. In layman’s terms Samu is about a 6.5 and Harry is about a 7.8. Valetini is either a 6 or an 8. The only time literally where they need to line up as per numbers on their back is at scrum time, and probably really only defensive scrums at that. As Purce says they will probably mix it up a bit anyway.
With respect to Purce, mixing it up will be a sure recipe for both to put in sub-par performances. They each need to have a defined role that they stick with whenever possible and not be getting in each other's way because they both want the ball in their hands at a crucial point.

What expertise do you bring KOB to the definitions of how players play to proclaim Harry as a 7.8. To my knowledge he has never played 7 at senior level. His whole history at Super/test level is as a 6 or 8. He is especially good at 6 but has identified failings (weaknesses) at 8 as identified by no less an expert than Dave Rennie the Aus coach. Why Rennie now sees fit to remove our best performing No 8 (by a country mile, including at the base of the scrum) in favour of a player he has publicly stated needs to develop his footwork to be better in contact at test level, I am unable to say. It is not a matter of form.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
No more scrums please. That will slow the game down. I do like scrums just not every 5 minutes.
Here's an idea for the ruck (to counter the caterpillar tactic and time wasting) , after 5 seconds the ref calls "Balls out" and it's deemed out of the ruck, The opposition are free to come over and pick it up.
Like what happened in the Sydney test against the Boks. Multiple times I recall

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
to how he plays.

He is a solid player but if you read the hype around him he would be a walk up start in any world xv in the past 50 years.

My comment was " he is over rated".

Note I have watched him play since he was a schoolboy at Ipswich Grammar so not only talking about last season.

No one is saying that. You are overrating your own imagination

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
With respect to Purce, mixing it up will be a sure recipe for both to put in sub-par performances. They each need to have a defined role that they stick with whenever possible and not be getting in each other's way because they both want the ball in their hands at a crucial point.

What expertise do you bring KOB to the definitions of how players play to proclaim Harry as a 7.8. To my knowledge he has never played 7 at senior level. His whole history at Super/test level is as a 6 or 8. He is especially good at 6 but has identified failings (weaknesses) at 8 as identified by no less an expert than Dave Rennie the Aus coach. Why Rennie now sees fit to remove our best performing No 8 (by a country mile, including at the base of the scrum) in favour of a player he has publicly stated needs to develop his footwork to be better in contact at test level, I am unable to say. It is not a matter of form.
He doesn’t need to have played 7, you can see he’s a looser style of player than Valetini by watching them play. That’s why im saying he’s a more complementary fit for Samu, it’s not a criticism of Valetini.

Besides wouldn’t your man Dan have had a fair say in the configuration of the forward pack considering he is the forwards coach? Not sure why you are pointing the finger solely at Rennie for disagreeing with you.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Like what happened in the Sydney test against the Boks. Multiple times I recall

Well that's a little different, the ref thought the ball left the ruck and was out. I'm saying, if the ball is still in the ruck (but clearly able to be played), the ref can call 'balls out'.

I am sick of ref's saying "use it" only for the ball to remain at the end of the ruck another 10 seconds.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He doesn’t need to have played 7, you can see he’s a looser style of player than Valetini by watching them play. That’s why im saying he’s a more complementary fit for Samu, it’s not a criticism of Valetini.

Besides wouldn’t your man Dan have had a fair say in the configuration of the forward pack considering he is the forwards coach? Not sure why you are pointing the finger solely at Rennie for disagreeing with you.
KOB I never thought you were criticising Valetini. The discussion was simply about which positions suited them best. We have different opinions, that's all.

When I refer to Rennie, I do include the whole coaching staff. That wasn't clear though from my Posts.

Anyway, we've done it to death and we can now only hope that everything works out for the best on Saturday. Go Wallabies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

He hasn't been removed, he is still in the team.

Surely Valetini is capable of playing just as well at 6, the same position the Brumbies have played him in the majority of the last 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.