• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The selections pretty much show that the Wallabies can't and won't even try to match the All Blacks by playing expansively. The game plan will be conservative and there's an element of 'hoping' we can remain competitive through box kicks/ up and unders, making our tackles and accruing penalties.

we haven't been able to match them 'expansively' on any kind of consistent basis for about 20 years. We can keep the game competitive until it opens up and then we get pumped. Not sure what tests people are watching if they can't see this. The more 'expansive' the matches get, the worse the scorelines get for us.

winning some percentage of the matches can be achieved by at least not playing to their strengths and us executing the basics well. being able to consistently win pretty is probably going to require a generation of improvements at every level of the game.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Funny last week i said if To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't return, Hodges at 10, rennie listened lol, but still some weak players there..no samu, no naisarani .. last week i said NZ by 35 and i was very very close, this week i say NZ by 40... NZ don't need Mounga to beat this wallabies team.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
we haven't been able to match them 'expansively' on any kind of consistent basis for about 20 years. We can keep the game competitive until it opens up and then we get pumped. Not sure what tests people are watching if they can't see this. The more 'expansive' the matches get, the worse the scorelines get for us.

winning some percentage of the matches can be achieved by at least not playing to their strengths and us executing the basics well. being able to consistently win pretty is probably going to require a generation of improvements at every level of the game.

Deans understood this, did he not? He recognized the piggies he had weren't good enough to match the ABs 'expansively' and whilst he only managed 3 wins & 2 draws during his tenure, the losing margins were considerably lower compared to the subsequent Bledisloe blow-outs under MacKenzie, then Cheika.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hodge at 10 is madness!!!

..Well I guess its that or a 20 year old who already proved Test rugby was too much for him :(

I don't think we even learnt that, we were under the pump from the start, he didn't have a chance and neither will Hodge

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes, I don't understand why Rennie didn't make attempt to lure back any of Kerevi, Arnold, Rodda, Skelton or Latu?

Those guys are experienced and proven test quality players & you're missing a few of those guys at the moment.

All you have to do is get rid of the bloody Giteau's law so you can actually field a competitive side - because you're probably going to get your dicks kicked in with this team..

Which one would you play at flyhalf?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hodge at 10 is simply recognising how green Lolesio was (and the injuries). It also suggests that Harrison is not considered near the pace. Hodge holds things until the game develops and we can introduce Lolesio more safely. Seems logical to me, though I wouldn’t be surprised by Hodge to fullback when Lolesio enters the field. Banks claiming 15 over DHP is interesting but not really material, IMO.

I am surprised at Hanigan in the row and the absence of Sio. Clearly statements are being made in training.

I’ll be very interested in the look of the team once the bench is emptied.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's deceptive - that was the 3rd test and France had one foot on the plane - under the roof in Dunedin it was perfectly suited to DMac.

As an AB fan I would not want DMac starting at 10 in a test.

I was just answering the question.