• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Hodge can appear clunky at times, but he always does his job well. His adaptability has meant he has been the perfect super sub in the past. At present It’d be perfect to use him as 10/12 and slowly blood Lolesio, Harrison, Simone from the bench and he can shift late in the game like he did on Saturday. We get a solid, professional performance and introduce the next generation to that level

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m going to go against the grain a bit here.. I dont think Hodge actually played that good as a 5/8 last night...

What he did do well was defend his channel and tackle well, which was a massive difference from last week, but as far as everything else goes for been a 5/8 he really had little involvement. That very well mighty have been part of the game plan, and credit to them because it worked. But I certainly dont think last nights match is a measure of Hodges ability to play 5/8, since he did very little of it.

For all the credit been directed towards Hodge, i personally think that should be directed at the forwards.. the game was won on the back of the forward pack and the go forward they provided, Hodge was merely a beneficiary of this.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s hard to imagine Hodge outside the 23 other than injury. He is a lock in the 23 for me and it is about time we understood his flexibility to be a serious tool.
Yeh it really highlighted his skill set to come into a position not played in all season and excel at test level. I agree we probably don’t appreciate how hard it is to be a utility player not playing in one position and acknowledge offers lot of value as utility player / bench option.

Pity not been able to lock down one spot.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I’m going to go against the grain a bit here.. I dont think Hodge actually played that good as a 5/8 last night.

What he did do well was defend his channel and tackle well, which was a massive difference from last week, but as far as everything else goes for been a 5/8 he really had little involvement. That very well mighty have been part of the game plan, and credit to them because it worked. But I certainly dont think last nights match is a measure of Hodges ability to play 5/8, since he did very little of it.

For all the credit been directed towards Hodge, i personally think that should be directed at the forwards.. the game was won on the back of the forward pack and the go forward they provided, Hodge was merely a beneficiary of this.

Hmmm -
First try he was first receiver, and saw him playing alot of 5/8.
Did he top the tackle count - or second most.
We also just beat the AB's
I thought our forwards did well, yes, the AB's did apply some presure at counter ruck at times.
All I'm saying - imagine if he spent more time there - i think our 12 & 13 could really benifit.
Not sure if JOC (James O'Connor) is the 10 for the next RWC - Why not see Hodge there given his experience, maturity, and he's safe and solid - with the young guys coming through benifiting.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’m going to go against the grain a bit here.. I dont think Hodge actually played that good as a 5/8 last night.

I think you missed the chip kick in the first 2mins that led to a try. He also made some solid runs and nice clearance kicks. The only thing missing from a 5/8 performance for me was more distributing. But it wasn't really the game for it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I think you are harsh judge he kicked well - set up first try, defended well and provided good distribution to outside backs. Maybe I missed something...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think you missed the chip kick in the first 2mins that led to a try. He also made some solid runs and nice clearance kicks. The only thing missing from a 5/8 performance for me was more distributing. But it wasn't really the game for it.

Yes that was a good kick, and according to the stats though only one of two kicks in general play, most of the clearing kicks were from White, the rest of Hodges kicks were from penalties or at goal. He also only passed the ball 7 times, and ran it 3 times, which was less then Paisami and even some of the forwards.

Watching the game, the forwards often play first receiver with a pod hanging off someone like Hooper or Wilson, and occasionally they send it further wide to the likes of Paisami.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think you are harsh judge he kicked well - set up first try, defended well and provided good distribution to outside backs. Maybe I missed something.

I dont think I’m been harsh, he had a role to play and played it well..
However his role was primarily to defend his channel, with the clearing kicks and playmaking shifted to White, and first receiver roles shared by Paisami and the forwards.

Hodge did very little distributing the ball to the outside backs, I’m not sure I could say that was ‘good’

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess following your line of thinking, do we really need a distributing 10? I’d say in a year or two we will have close to one of the most dominant packs in the world, Tate is coming along nicely as a distributor, I’m not totally opposed to our 10 being predominantly there for defence and hard running, at least for another few years while the young 10’s develop

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Reflecting on the way we played last night, I think we might have started to see the brutality that Rennie talked about when he took over as coach. With the injuries we have and players overseas and not available, a simple up the guts game isn't a bad idea. Getting the set piece right, defence better aligned and bodies in motion over the gain line at least keeps you in the contest, as well as not kicking the fucking ball away all the time. I think for now just focusing on getting the physicality and the fundamentals right is enough. Don't try any sparkling basketball rugby, just run straight and hard, play in the right part of the pitch. There were some signs in Wellington that the team is focused on laying some shots on in defence and I'm happy with that, but obviously not getting penalised or carded.

I was also thinking about Hunter. This might sound silly, but to me he looked like a classic compact Kiwi 2nd-5 last night, a la an Alatini or Clarke (Eroni) - especially his foot work. With Jordie beside him that's not a bad combo to persist with for the time being - just to see if it's the kind of midfield that could develop into something good. With JOC (James O'Connor) and MT not available right now we might as well. The wings looked terrific too. Let's keep that together.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Reflecting on the way we played last night, I think we might have started to see the brutality that Rennie talked about when he took over as coach. With the injuries we have and players overseas and not available, a simple up the guts game isn't a bad idea. Getting the set piece right, defence better aligned and bodies in motion over the gain line at least keeps you in the contest, as well as not kicking the fucking ball away all the time. I think for now just focusing on getting the physicality and the fundamentals right is enough. Don't try any sparkling basketball rugby, just run straight and hard, play in the right part of the pitch. There were some signs in Wellington that the team is focused on laying some shots on in defence and I'm happy with that, but obviously not getting penalised or carded.

I was also thinking about Hunter. This might sound silly, but to me he looked like a classic compact Kiwi 2nd-5 last night, a la an Alatini or Clarke (Eroni) - especially his foot work. With Jordie beside him that's not a bad combo to persist with for the time being - just to see if it's the kind of midfield that could develop into something good. With JOC (James O'Connor) and MT not available right now we might as well. The wings looked terrific too. Let's keep that together.

Yep get the essentials right for a few years, learn to grind a win and treasure possession then when Harrison and Lolosio hit their straps in say 2 years, weave in a few more layers and points of difference into the offence. Giving yourself 2 years before the World Cup with more or less a locked in XV that’ll follow through to 2023 RWC

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess following your line of thinking, do we really need a distributing 10? I’d say in a year or two we will have close to one of the most dominant packs in the world, Tate is coming along nicely as a distributor, I’m not totally opposed to our 10 being predominantly there for defence and hard running, at least for another few years while the young 10’s develop

Hard to say, last night may be the exception to the norm given the red cards, I think that really loosened play up around the ruck and allowed more forward runs. If we weren’t getting that front foot advantage we may bemoan the lack of distribution and creativity from fly-half.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hard to say, last night may be the exception to the norm given the red cards, I think that really loosened play up around the ruck and allowed more forward runs. If we weren’t getting that front foot advantage we may bemoan the lack of distribution and creativity from fly-half.

Its a good point. His distribution wasn't needed but a solid distributing 10 is likely needed going forward. Which is why I think Hodge's best position is at 12, he a big body, hard defender, can crash ball and has short distribution game and kicking game to be your secondary playmaker.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Its a good point. His distribution wasn't needed but a solid distributing 10 is likely needed going forward. Which is why I think Hodge's best position is at 12, he a big body, hard defender, can crash ball and has short distribution game and kicking game to be your secondary playmaker.

Rennie has shown he is a coach that can change his game plans based on the players available and the opponent (something that Cheika always refused to do with the excuse of playing the "Australian Way"). He did it last night by changing our style that meant Hodge wasn't required to be the focal point of all our plays.

I agree that Hodge doesn't have the passing game of a world class 10, and think he isn't the long term prospect there. However I think as a bench option or number 12 he is good. We have three players that can play and defend the 10 channel JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge and To'omua (Lolesia seems a bit away from being able to defend at 10), this is a good thing.

Being able to shake up our play depending on the opposition is a huge asset and think with a world class pack and potentially world class backs in a couple of years we are in a position to do that. I think England under Eddie Jones is a good example of this.

Also amazing that we have 4 guys 20 years of age that experienced beating the All Blacks

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I would like to see him have a crack at inside centre, outside of someone like JOC (James O'Connor) who can defend pretty the 5/8 channel pretty well as well. A second kicker at 12 gives the wallabies more options for clearing kicks as well.

Paisami hasn’t developed a solid kicking game yet.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Paisami did lose possession/get stripped a couple of times so probably needs to work on ball security.

His acceleration into contact is pretty special tho and gives us Ad line gains more often than not on his carries. Makes him a great carry option or decoy runner. I think he can develop a short passing game to run the odd loop or offload for someone on his hip.