• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
BPA is a great player. It's only the Reds lineout problems that give me pause but I'm not sure he was the only problem there. His game against the Rebels in the semi final was top class.

He really stepped up, I thought. Very pleasing to see him perform like this, I for one was in favour of bringing Latu back, now I am sure we have the hookers here that we need for the long haul.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He really stepped up, I thought. Very pleasing to see him perform like this, I for one was in favour of bringing Latu back, now I am sure we have the hookers here that we need for the long haul.
Both hookers looked the goods on the weekend. I am a massive fan of Ueleses but have to admit he was disappointing a couple of weeks ago. He might be carrying an injury as he was not involved for Aus A?
BPA in particular has stepped it up.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see him have a crack at inside centre, outside of someone like JOC (James O'Connor) who can defend pretty the 5/8 channel pretty well as well. A second kicker at 12 gives the wallabies more options for clearing kicks as well.

Paisami hasn’t developed a solid kicking game yet.

He put in a great attacking touch-finder in game 1 (i think), and made a solid clearance kick in Bled 4. Two solid kicks. So I think theirs hope for Paisami's kicking game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Both hookers looked the goods on the weekend. I am a massive fan of Ueleses but have to admit he was disappointing a couple of weeks ago. He might be carrying an injury as he was not involved for Aus A?
BPA in particular has stepped it up.

yes Fainga looked good from the bench, and probably some impact with a solid run. I like him as the bench Hooker.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
People perhaps had too harsh a judgement on Hodge prior to this match. He's still a pro rugby player and coaches love him, which means that he knows what he is doing and works his butt off. So he can just go out there and play anywhere. He's still not a great option at any position and people saying he should be used at 12, or regularly playing 10? No, no and no. He did exactly what he is suited for today: being the third option and being able to come in and replace someone injured. Literally anywhere in the backline save 9.

I wouldn't be shocked if Liam Williams, Elliot Daly, Jordie Barrett, James Lowe etc... could step in to play 10 for one game and do fairly well and Hodge has more experience there.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Paisami did lose possession/get stripped a couple of times so probably needs to work on ball security.

His acceleration into contact is pretty special tho and gives us Ad line gains more often than not on his carries. Makes him a great carry option or decoy runner. I think he can develop a short passing game to run the odd loop or offload for someone on his hip.

He's actually quite similar to where Laumape was a couple of years ago; powerful and robust in contact with limitations on his distribution.. It would be great for Australian rugby to actually invest and support/ pressure him develop a broader range of skills like the All Blacks did Laumape.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Its a good point. His distribution wasn't needed but a solid distributing 10 is likely needed going forward. Which is why I think Hodge's best position is at 12, he a big body, hard defender, can crash ball and has short distribution game and kicking game to be your secondary playmaker.
But is he the best 12 in Australia? To'omua provides all the qualities mentioned above with more finesse (and a slightly higher propensity to get injured) and vision.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But is he the best 12 in Australia? To'omua provides all the qualities mentioned above with more finesse (and a slightly higher propensity to get injured) and vision.

To'omua also has a habit of kicking away possession and missing tackles going for big hits. Plus he is 30 and will be 34 at next RWC, whereas Hodge is only 28.

I like the idea of them battling it out and we choose the one in form. Then in 2 years time, Hodge will be battling it out with Simone, Paisami, Stewart etc.

Competition for spots is a good thing. I don't like the idea of "well theres already a player slightly better then him so let's move positions". If 12 is HIS best position, then back himself and stay there.

Although, happy for him to back himself for 15 too. Just needs to stay in one spot.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua also has a habit of kicking away possession and missing tackles going for big hits. Plus he is 30 and will be 34 at next RWC, whereas Hodge is only 28.

Based on this year's form, I'd select To'omua ahead of the rest. I don't think his age is a reason we should be looking elsewhere for the next world cup. He'll be 33 by my calculations. Dan Carter was 33 when he won player of the tournament in 2015, as was Matt Giteau (who had a stellar world cup at 12). Every good backline needs some experienced campaigners.

Personally I'd like to see Hodge given a shot at 15

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ofa & Swinton front the judiciary tonight. On the basis that Ofa wrapped an arm I'm expecting Swinton will get a slightly longer suspension, a week or maybe two (not sure what his previous record is).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on this year's form, I'd select To'omua ahead of the rest. I don't think his age is a reason we should be looking elsewhere for the next world cup. He'll be 33 by my calculations. Dan Carter was 33 when he won player of the tournament in 2015, as was Matt Giteau (who had a stellar world cup at 12). Every good backline needs some experienced campaigners.

Personally I'd like to see Hodge given a shot at 15

I would also select To'omua ahead of Hodge. But I still stand by my point, Hodge shouldn't play 15 just because To'omua is currently a better 12. I think it's better for Australian Rugby and Hodge to try and back himself to be a better 12. Given To'omua is aging then that gives Hodge an advantage in the future IMO.

Both are already experienced campaigners so having them interchangeable in one position creates depth. If To'omua is down we replace him with Hodge and don't lose much. Rather then Simone coming in and getting destroyed as he's out of his depth.

We need this depth/competition in all our positions.

Reactions: BDA

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Hmmm -
First try he was first receiver, and saw him playing alot of 5/8.
Did he top the tackle count - or second most.
We also just beat the AB's
I thought our forwards did well, yes, the AB's did apply some presure at counter ruck at times.
All I'm saying - imagine if he spent more time there - i think our 12 & 13 could really benifit.
Not sure if JOC (James O'Connor) is the 10 for the next RWC - Why not see Hodge there given his experience, maturity, and he's safe and solid - with the young guys coming through benifiting.

Really? I'm fairly sure Rennie with an eye on 2023 views O'Conner & To'omua as an extremely critical partnership going forward. They are the key leaders and the most experienced players in the backline & are very composed under pressure. I'm sure that combination would be invaluable for this young Wallabies team at the next World Cup, barring injury.. wouldn't you think?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'll let the saner heads around here comment on individual performances. But for me, the age of the 23 is by far the most exciting thing. Lots of room to grow and develop into a more cohesive unit.

1. Slipper (31 years)
2. BPA (24)
3. AAA (26)
4. Simmons (31)
5. Philip (26)
6. Swinton (23)
7. Hooper (29)
8. Wilson (20)
9. White (30)
10. Hodge (26)
11. Koroibete (28)
12. Paisami (22)
13. Petaia (20)
14. Wright (23)
15. Banks (26)
16. Fainga'a (25)
17. Bell (20)
18. Tupou (24)
19. Hanigan (25)
20. Wright (23)
21. McDermott (22)
22. Lolesio (20)
23. Daugunu (25)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ofa & Swinton front the judiciary tonight. On the basis that Ofa wrapped an arm I'm expecting Swinton will get a slightly longer suspension, a week or maybe two (not sure what his previous record is).

I actually think (and hope) they should both be downgraded to yellows. Both players had mitigating factors.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
People perhaps had too harsh a judgement on Hodge prior to this match. He's still a pro rugby player and coaches love him, which means that he knows what he is doing and works his butt off. .

Hodge did great, but the reason myself and others were skeptical prior to kick off was that he probably had one of his worst Super Seasons this year as well as his previous for the Wallabies has never really shown he was much a of a distributor of the ball.

As you say though with Hodge at test level he always goes hard. Sometime has the odd brain fart or whatever but his endeavor is always there and why the coaches probably love him. Plus he can boot the ball the length of the field off the tee.