• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe III at Perth, 5/09/21 - 4pm AEST

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's great to see.

We have a group of fans placing Quade at 4 or 5 on the list of 10s, presumably working from Quade being below best since injury and surgery, not #1 for some time after, floating around in non-top-tier competitions, an absence of visibility on those games and his form. Add in age and a rocky early history some scepticism works.

There is another group of fans, contrary to subsequent claims, saw Quade working hard as a team guy in what turned out to be his last years at the Reds, then Souths, with Souths and Japan 2nd division possibly extending a career.

But no form to consider. Hence that view has to come from training performance. The media response from Rennie is skewed - simply because he is asked about it every time, and we see a lot of it, but Quade seems to be doing well.

It's not hard to see that Quade's primary job was to lead opposed drills to be "Kiwi" so the WB training has something to sharpen against. Add in mentoring etc. It isn't hard to visualise that role with Quade in opposed drills.

Its would be pretty bizarre to see Quade on the game list. But with JOC (James O'Connor) not back yet, Lolo probably locked into the #1 position, the call is probably Hodge v Cooper for the pine. The Hodge versatility is hard to displace within the finishers.

But man, what an opportunity for Quade. All the best bloke.
This is the best analysis of where Quade is I've seen Dru. I'm not expecting to see Quade on game day, but I'm sure if they picked him, he'd give his all.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
3rd string Froggies vs ABs and Boks = chalk and cheese.
He’s not up to it yet.
His last outing against the boks was much the same as recent ABs games.
Time for a change.
Maybe give him another outing against the Argies
Fuck off with the 3rd string froggies, there first string isn't any better then the team they sent... I dont get why you keep banging on about 3rd string... we could say it was our 3rd string as well with all our injuries..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I missed Hoss' selection contest/pole this week; thought it would have been postponed by a week as the game was. So, here is my prediction for Bledisloe 3.

Slipper, Kaitu'u, Ala'alatoa
Philip, Swain
Wilson, Hooper,
Valetini
MacDermott, Lolesio
Koroibete, Ikitau, Kerevi, Kellaway
Banks

BPA, Bell, Tupou, Rodda, Samu, Gordon, Paia'aua, Hodge
Dropping white are you ?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I doubt they will start Kaitu’u as he is uncapped.
McDermott is the incumbent and he looked very good starting.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It will be easier for Lolesio having Kerevi just out side of him. Its possible that they will play him at 13 with To'omua at 12 but It would be good to see 12 Kerevi 13 Ikitau. Also Quade on the bench.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I been trying to work out who my AB team would be , will they go for same, but just replace 3 missing players? Or go well we got to make changes ,so let's go for it.
Personally I would go for same pack, with Scott barret in for Big Sam , and I would like Vai'i on the bench, but will probably get PT.
Backline is where it get's interesting ,with Nuggett being out changes our style of play quite a bit I think.
I guess it will be TJP and BB, hope they stick with Havili at 12, but then will they go for ALB or Reiko at 13 (ALB for me), and then it opens up wings between Reece, Jordan and Reiko. May even see Jordie to 15 so DMac is fresh on bench to cover 10-15. Perhap Weber on bench with whoever misses out of the backs I just talked about?
As I said we maybe forced into different game plan, as we missing the top 3 players and drivers of game plan from last test. Sure as buggery TJP or Weber are not going to be giving the ball as quick to backline that Nugget does

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fuck off with the 3rd string froggies, there first string isn't any better then the team they sent. I dont get why you keep banging on about 3rd string. we could say it was our 3rd string as well with all our injuries..

I think 2nd string would be more accurate, but that would be a 2nd XV, not a 2nd 23, just as we, disregarding all restrictions and injuruies, could have fielded a team about 33% 'better'

I agree with you in that the teams were far closer then what many are saying in regards to Australia top team vs French 3rd team.

BUT saying that I think come the End of year tests we will see quite a lot of the French Tourists moved up into the Top choice French 23

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The 'France are the best and have amazing depth' is straight up propaganda. They are just getting cnuts interested to sell RWC tickets. They haven't won the 6 nations since 2010 and went out of RWC19 to Wales ffs.

For a team who is going to win the next world cup and could field three different teams that would beat the Wallabies they sure do suck.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The 'France are the best and have amazing depth' is straight up propaganda. They are just getting cnuts interested to sell RWC tickets. They haven't won the 6 nations since 2010 and went out of RWC19 to Wales ffs.

For a team who is going to win the next world cup and could field three different teams that would beat the Wallabies they sure do suck.
No one is claiming they are the best. However those claiming there isn’t a lot of difference between their top side and their second side are right. It wasn’t their third string side we played, most of their past regulars weren’t there and a few of their second stringers weren’t either, but realistically it was probably about their A+ side. From a development perspective they were at a similar stage to us, with a lot of their players from the U20s final a couple of years ago also in their side. And they’re ranked higher than us.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ardie Savea is a beast. Had a huge 2019 and was one of the ABs best in 2020. Might have had a slow start coming back from injury but he is world class.

Really, really good 7 & if Foster were to pick him there & make him stand-in captain I'd have no problem with that. But he's not an 8 (nor a 6) & that's my problem with Foster as a selector, instead of picking the best player in each position in some cases he wants the best player capable of playing that position. Hence ASav at 8, AL-B occasionally at 12 & to a slightly lesser degree DMac at 15. In ASav's case I think his shortcomings at 8 are made more apparent by the way they're utilising Akira's strengths in the wider channels.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Fuck off with the 3rd string froggies, there first string isn't any better then the team they sent. I dont get why you keep banging on about 3rd string. we could say it was our 3rd string as well with all our injuries..
Who cares? My point was lolesio has performed ok at super level and against a lower standard of opposition but has struggled to perform against better sides. It had nothing to do with whether we were full strength or not.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who cares? My point was lolesio has performed ok at super level and against a lower standard of opposition but has struggled to perform against better sides. It had nothing to do with whether we were full strength or not.
He has failed to perform against one side, the All Blacks. You can count the number of strong 10 performances against the ABs from the last decade on one hand.