• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Brumbies Rd 9, Friday 10 April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think this could be a real danger game for the Brumbies.

Yes the Blues haven't won a game this year but they played OK last week against the Chiefs and are finally playing a home game at Eden Park.

But having said all that, this is their team for Friday: Starting Mealamu on the bench is a strange decision.
Jimmy Cowan's off on paternity leave.

1. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
  2. James Parsons
  3. Charlie Faumuina
  4. Josh Bekhuis
  5. Patrick Tuipulotu
  6. Luke Braid
  7. Brendon O’Connor
  8. Jerome Kaino (c)
  9. Jamison Gibson-Park
  10. Dan Bowden
  11. Melani Nanai
  12. George Moala
  13. Pita Ahki
  14. Frank Halai
  15. Charles Piutau
Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu
17.Sam Prattley
18.Angus Ta’avao
19.Hayden Triggs
20.Steven Luatua
21.Jamie Booth
22.Ihaia West
23.Francis Saili

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mealamu has been on the bench a fair bit this season. Luatua is also on the bench this week with Tuopulotu starting which is a reverse of last week.

It seems they want to retain some firepower to give them a boost in the second half.

I think this will be a close game. The Blues have a strong record at Eden Park and things are getting pretty desperate.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Remember when the Brums just needed a single competition point against the blues to make the 2012 finals? The blues were performing even worse.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Remember when the Brums just needed a single competition point against the blues to make the 2012 finals? The blues were performing even worse.

I was at that game.....it was awesome...LOL

Playing Braid and O'Conner is essentially having both 7's on the run-on - I wonder if they are wary of the danger Pocock might present. Normally I'd expect to see Braid, Luatua and Kaino starting with O'Conner on the bench with Triggs there for lock cover.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I've only had a small look at Bowden, but It don't see him potentially being better than West to unlock the Blues attack.

Seems a little like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I've only had a small look at Bowden, but It don't see him potentially being better than West to unlock the Blues attack.

Seems a little like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The Blues have looked good at times this year, just never for long enough to get on a roll in a game. Their outside backs are excellent on paper and I think Hallai would start in most Super teams, as would Piutau. But I think Kirwan didn't decide correctly on his 10/12/13 combination pre-season and I don't think he knows yet.

West is flaky, think Carlos Spencer on a bad day. Bowden is more conservative but the jury is out on whether he can lead a team around the park. The fundamental problem, I think is that there is no underlying structure to their play that a playmaker can build on. That's down to Kirwan, who won't survive till 2016.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The Blues have looked good at times this year, just never for long enough to get on a roll in a game. Their outside backs are excellent on paper and I think Hallai would start in most Super teams, as would Piutau. But I think Kirwan didn't decide correctly on his 10/12/13 combination pre-season and I don't think he knows yet.

West is flaky, think Carlos Spencer on a bad day. Bowden is more conservative but the jury is out on whether he can lead a team around the park. The fundamental problem, I think is that there is no underlying structure to their play that a playmaker can build on. That's down to Kirwan, who won't survive till 2016.

This is my point exactly.

Decide on someone and give them time to ultimately succeed or fail. We didn't get that chance with Anscombe, Marshall, Noakes, Hickey, West, Bowden - I think I would rather go down a fuckn Tasesa Lavea situation and KNOW that he's useless then keep playing this musical chairs bullshit.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies starting 15 unchanged

1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Blake Enever
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Jarrad Butler
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. James Dargaville
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Henry Speight
14. Joe Tomane
15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. JP Smith
18. Ruan Smith
19. Jordan Smiler
20. Ita Vaea
21. Michael Dowsett
22. Lausii Taliauli
23. Nigel Ah Wong

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

You can go back much further than that. He didn't decide on the correct 10/12/13 combination three years ago when he could've had Anscombe at five eighth and Fekitoa at centre. In such a situation, West would've been the idea player to have on the bench covering 10/15.

Add in Rene Ranger at 7/12/13, and next seasons theoretical Blues team is looking awesome.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is going to be a cracking match, heart says Brumbies, Head says it could be an ambush.. I hope we get out fast and put them away early so my nerves settle, or by half time I'll have sunk half a bottle and I won't be able to cook the family bqq tonight !!

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Woah how about that away strip. I thought it was the Blues playing the Canes there for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.