• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Looks like the Lions will be kicking a lot of scrum-derived penalties. I'm also not sure why Tuipulotu isn't starting.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lions (15-1): Leigh Halfpenny, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Elliot Daly, Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, James Haskell, Courtney Lawes, Maro Itoje, Dan Cole, Ken Owens (c), Jack McGrath. Reserves (16-23): Rory Best, Joe Marler, Kyle Sinckler, Iain Henderson, Peter O'Mahony, Greig Laidlaw, Johnny Sexton, Liam Williams

Totally different starting XV in keeping with Gatland's statement he'd give everyone a start in the first three games.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11870008

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Looks like the Lions will be kicking a lot of scrum-derived penalties. I'm also not sure why Tuipulotu isn't starting.

I'd say because he hasn't been in the top two locks for the Blues this season. I like those two locks Tana has picked to start. They've been a shining light along with Duffie this season

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd say because he hasn't been in the top two locks for the Blues this season. I like those two locks Tana has picked to start. They've been a shining light along with Duffie this season

Also Ofa T has been fine his last few games at loosehead. Traditionally he's been better at tighthead but has improved his loosehead play this season.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, James Haskell, Courtney Lawes, Maro Itoje, Dan Cole, Ken Owens (c), Jack McGrat.
this forward pack could steamroller the Blues. So fucked. Lineout, rolling maul, try. Rinse & Repeat. Plus the tourists will have their hackles up after shit first game. Lions to treat it as rolling maul practice and win 38-18. Backs have the night off. Blues strategy: quick taps, run it from everywhere, take set piece out of game. Plan falls to shit due to Blues lack of fitness, after 60 mins its oxygen debt, forwards with arms and legs akimbo like they're in free fall from the Hillary Step, Ofa face down in his own chunder, Lions sherpas bolting for the carpark and Akira so confused he's throttling Rieko.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
this forward pack could steamroller the Blues. So fucked. Lineout, rolling maul, try. Rinse & Repeat. Plus the tourists will have their hackles up after shit first game. Lions to treat it as rolling maul practice and win 38-18. Backs have the night off. Blues strategy: quick taps, run it from everywhere, take set piece out of game. Plan falls to shit due to Blues lack of fitness, after 60 mins its oxygen debt, forwards with arms and legs akimbo like they're in free fall from the Hillary Step, Ofa face down in his own chunder, Lions sherpas bolting for the carpark and Akira so confused he's throttling Rieko.
Do you have a GIF of the Ioane brothers reversing back into the building?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Somehow I wonder if the Blues game might not be the easiest game of the tour for the Lions. Then again not sure if the NH journalists needling Tana re 2005 will have helped their cause.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Somehow I wonder if the Blues game might not be the easiest game of the tour for the Lions. Then again not sure if the NH journalists needling Tana re 2005 will have helped their cause.

Bear in mind this is a full strength Blues team (with ABs) and the likes of the Highlanders, Chiefs and Canes won't have their ABs for their Lions clashes.

Of the Blues 6 losses this season, only 1 was comprehensive, and that was when Luatua got red carded in the first half v the Chiefs when the game was very much in the balance.

All the other Blues losses were extremely close.

The Stormers loss was controversial while in the 4 other NZ derby losses the Blues were in position late to win each of those games (v Crusaders, v Highlanders x 2, v Canes) but couldn't capitalise.

Whilst the Blues have real struggles closing games out they've been consistently competitive, even against the competition heavyweights.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match officials appointed:

Blues vs British and Irish Lions
@ Eden Park, Auckland
Referee: Pascal Gauzère (France)
Assistant Referees: Mathieu Raynal (France), Angus Gardner (Australia)
TMO: Marius Jonker (South Africa)

Crusaders vs British and Irish Lions
@ AMI Stadium, Christchurch
Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant Referees: Angus Gardner (Australia), Pascal Gauzère (France)
TMO: Marius Jonker (South Africa)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Important to note that this should be a much better BILs side in terms of cohesion.

Much of the poor game could be attributed to the starting locks and halfs IMO. Sexton and Henderson had absolute shockers, AWJ isn't capable of 80 mins anymore and Laidlaw plays very differently from Webb and Murray.

Itoje and Lawes, and Webb and Biggar will be much more successful, due to pre-established combinations and overall increase in current form, to a lesser extent, this'll also apply to Henshaw and Payne.

Daly is my favourite English player, and I reckon he's well suited for Super Tempo, and needless to say, Tipuric for Warburton, McGrath for Marler and Cole for Sinckler are pluses for the BILs too, at least from a Starting perspective.

I believe that team should beat the team the Blues put out, but who knows, for Gatland is the Coach against a SH side.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nanai drops out've the 23
WHAT THE FAHHHHHHK. The guy must train like fucken Jonah Takalau. It's as if Tana thinks the Blues are actually fairly certain to win the game and flashy players might be a liability. FLASHY PLAYERS WILL MAKE THE CRUCIAL BREAK AND WIN YOU THE FUCKEN GAME. THE DRONGO BLUES MIGHT ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO CLINCH IT AND YOU DONT WANT JOAN COLLINS DYING WITH THE FUCKEN BALL OVER THE SIDELINE AS THE FINAL FUCKEN HOOTER GOES.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Important to note that this should be a much better BILs side in terms of cohesion.

Much of the poor game could be attributed to the starting locks and halfs IMO. Sexton and Henderson had absolute shockers, AWJ isn't capable of 80 mins anymore and Laidlaw plays very differently from Webb and Murray.

Itoje and Lawes, and Webb and Biggar will be much more successful, due to pre-established combinations and overall increase in current form, to a lesser extent, this'll also apply to Henshaw and Payne.

Daly is my favourite English player, and I reckon he's well suited for Super Tempo, and needless to say, Tipuric for Warburton, McGrath for Marler and Cole for Sinckler are pluses for the BILs too, at least from a Starting perspective.

I believe that team should beat the team the Blues put out, but who knows, for Gatland is the Coach against a SH side.

Sure you're right HL, but I have a feeling that the lift in skills and combinations going from a makeshift BaaBaas side to an established Super Rugby side in the Blues will be greater than the improvement the BILs might get from their few changes.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
great. Pat T dumped from bench for being late to practice.

So, most dynamic forward and most dynamic back both sitting in the stands #Auckland_Blues_Rugby_why_am_I_not_fucking_surprised

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm getting such a sick satisfaction from watching the Lions struggle.

Like, if the best of the best assembled from all of Britain and Ireland can't beat the worst NZ super team, what fucking hope do any Australian team have in Super Rugby.

Also makes me even angrier at the J'Burg Lions for their SA conference.

Basically fuck all Lions.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What? If you mean the Lions most of the time, I agree. ;)
But seriously, yeah, how did the on-field officials miss that Ioane was a mile offside? Pretty hopeless.
Complaining about BILs offsides opens the gates to complaining about the Blues at the breakdown, and there's a lot more ammo there.

Gardner demonstrating how awful he is too. No balls.

Team is scratchy as fuck though.

Henshaw going for the Irish Choke tackle at every opportunity, Payne running the wrong lines, gaps in the defence everywhere, and as the final nail in the coffin, the sheer disorganisation from that kick (admittedly, every pro kicker should have kicked that or he doesn't deserve to be on the pitch, but regardless).

More organisation than most Barbarians teams, but that seems to be about the best you can say ATM.

Hard to