• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
AIoane's travelling down to Wellywood for T2: Judgement Day
EN ROUTE.

Akira driving.

Rieko in the back seat.

van_zpsiekqdrve.gif

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
What a contest. Epic in every sense.

The quality was something to marvel at.

ABs forwards stood up and the backs did the business to finish it off.

Rieko Ioane announces himself on the world stage - the kid is straight class.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Plenty happening in Team AB Rehab: DMac called in to "cover" (surely that's "replace") BSmith; Crotty out for 2-4 weeks so Jack Goodhue stays with the squad (I knew you'd be pleased, Dan54 :));

All these things come to pass!!! Be very interested to see if he goes on bench for next week, or Shag puts Naholo there. Would also be interested to see who get 15 BB or Izzy!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ I'm thinking 15. Dagg, 14. Naholo (& obviously 11. RIoane) 23. Goodhue. I'm also thinking that with the reinforcements they're getting your blokes might just "do a Blues" on the Lions.

Man I find it hard to maintain a dislike for old Moneybill when he does stuff like this.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ssy-gesture-after-all-blacks-win-at-eden-park

Obviously didn't want to be outdone by Mrs Ioane inviting some random Welshman planning to sleep in Ponsonby RFC's car park to bunk down in the family home.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11881704

I'm not quite buying the bit about not recognising Akira & Reiko but it's a nice story nevertheless.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurricanes (15-1): Jordie Barrett, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Vince Aso, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Otere Black, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Brad Shields (c), Callum Gibbins, Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi, Mark Abbott, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Ricky Riccitelli, Ben May. Reserves (16-23): Leni Apisai, Chris Eves, Mike Kainga, James Blackwell, Reed Prinsep, Kemara Hauiti-Parapara, Wes Goosen, Cory Jane.

British and Irish Lions (15-1): Jack Nowell, Tommy Seymour, Jonathan Joseph, Robbie Henshaw, George North, Dan Biggar, Greig Laidlaw, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, James Haskell, Courtney Lawes, Iain Henderson, Dan Cole, Rory Best (c), Joe Marler. Reserves (16-23): Kristian Dacey, Allan Dell, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, George Kruis, Gareth Davies, Finn Russell, Jared Payne.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...he-hurricanes-on-midweek-lions-from-the-start

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...hes-to-fullback-to-face-hurricanes-on-tuesday

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^^^^ I'm thinking 15. Dagg, 14. Naholo (& obviously 11. RIoane) 23. Goodhue. I'm also thinking that with the reinforcements they're getting your blokes might just "do a Blues" on the Lions.

Obviously didn't want to be outdone by Mrs Ioane inviting some random Welshman planning to sleep in Ponsonby RFC's car park to bunk down in the family home.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11881704

I'm not quite buying the bit about not recognising Akira & Reiko but it's a nice story nevertheless.
Jeez some blokes make it hard to dislike them.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
What a cracking game. Retallick is getting into legend territory with his career arc. I've always been something of Sam Cane skeptic but he had a storming game.

A game of if-only for the Lions. If they had scored that first try in the opening minute it would have given the match a different complexion.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Lions were to passive. There were several times when the counter ruck was on and they just fanned out to defend the next phase. There were clearly moments in that game they had the All Blacks measure but just didn't go in hard physically to make the most of it.

Cracking game to watch though. The fact that the Losses of Smith and Crotty didn't upset the All Blacks backline speaks volumes to their level of class.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a cracking game. Retallick is getting into legend territory with his career arc. I've always been something of Sam Cane skeptic but he had a storming game.

A game of if-only for the Lions. If they had scored that first try in the opening minute it would have given the match a different complexion.

Retallick & Whitelock must now be considered the best-ever AB locking pair IMO & as someone said earlier in the thread they're at least in the same bracket as Matfield & Botha.

I've always thought Cane got an unfair rap simply 'cos he was always in the shadow of the GOAT, but he's really making that 7 shirt his, isn't he?

And, yes, if Murray or Daly score that first-minute try she's game & who knows what might've happened? Fact is, though, ASmith & Dagg both made try-saving efforts when lesser player may have just accepted the apparently inevitable. That, I think, is the difference between an AB & a rugby player.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've always thought Cane got an unfair rap simply 'cos he was always in the shadow of the GOAT, but he's really making that 7 shirt his, isn't he?

I think Cane is better suited to test footy than Super footy. It's not the same thing. Super is obviously a lot more open and those with athletic traits tend to stand out, but Cane's physical presence in the confrontation side of the game (tackles, ruck work, tough yards carrying the ball) are really suited to test rugby (especially in the first half of tests where it is very tight). I was also pleasantly surprised by Ardie's impact - I wondered whether he might get a bit monstered against the big Lions but he used his leg drive/never quit attitude with ball in hand to make metres.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think Cane is better suited to test footy than Super footy. It's not the same thing. Super is obviously a lot more open and those with athletic traits tend to stand out, but Cane's physical presence in the confrontation side of the game (tackles, ruck work, tough yards carrying the ball) are really suited to test rugby (especially in the first half of tests where it is very tight). I was also pleasantly surprised by Ardie's impact - I wondered whether he might get a bit monstered against the big Lions but he used his leg drive/never quit attitude with ball in hand to make metres.

Great comment about Cane. It reminds me of the difference between Pocock and Hooper at the Wallabies. Maybe we need to rethink the way players are more suited to one form of the game over another.

Never had a doubt at all about Ardie. His attitude was amply illustrated in one incident where he launched himself backwards and upwards to get out of a multiple tackle situation. Don't think any other player in the game could have done it so efficiently.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ardie has plenty of go in him, that's for sure. He's not a classical openside really. I regard him as a 6.5, part open and part blindside. That isn't a criticism BTW. He's more of your athletic flyer in the mould of great French flankers of yore.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cory Jane must be one of the very few modern players to have played against the Lions on two separate tours. The only other I can think of is George Smith.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cory Jane must be one of the very few modern players to have played against the Lions on two separate tours. The only other I can think of is George Smith.

Jerome Kaino. Played vs Lions for Auckland in 05 and then played last weekend.