• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I certainly getting ready to watch the tour WOB, me and mate off to Auckland for Blues game as couldn't get tickets to any tests, so wanted to see at least one game, and hoping early in tour will still be trying out combinations so Lions will probably put out pretty strong team for this.
I know I a sad case when I fly over for a midweek game, but I figure it better than nothing!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ looks like the Blues game is the only non-sell out: there was an ad in today's paper for Chiefs tix but when I went online to check all four categories came up as "allocation exhausted". My last hope is the bro-in-Law who works for Gallaghers snagging some.

Sam the Wasps fan

Frank Row (1)
Yeah it would be the obvious replacement, If Faletau is at his best then I can cope with that, maybe gatland had that in mind anyway but Vunipola is for me a level above, since he's slimmed down and improved his all round game that is

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ just occurred to me that CJ Stander somehow got left out of the 41, maybe he's the guy they should pick. He'd go well in NZ, I think. Lions need a mongrel/ enforcer in the mix & Faletau doesn't really offer that IMO.

Sam the Wasps fan

Frank Row (1)
CJ Stander is in the squad. He can play 8 but the assumption (at least mine) was that he'd play 6. He would make for a good impact player of the bench too though.

Edit. although I guess gatland will want to find room for warbuton and tipuric in there too

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^^^^^^ looks like the Blues game is the only non-sell out: there was an ad in today's paper for Chiefs tix but when I went online to check all four categories came up as "allocation exhausted". My last hope is the bro-in-Law who works for Gallaghers snagging some.

Still some seats left for the Highlanders game. In the zoo section.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Can't Wait for this tour to start! Picking 3-0 to All Blacks in the test series. Lions to beat the Provincial Barbarians, NZ Maori and the Blues, and to lose to the other 4 super franchises.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ gunna be a long tour for them if they can't put 40+ on the Prov XV but with the scheduling of the Samoa Test I reckon the Blues have the best shot of the Super Rugby teams as they'll be closest to full strength (depending on who they take up to Apia for the Reds).

Maori will be tough esp as they won't lose too many guys to AB duty, I actually fancy their chances of at least running the Lions close if not repeating the 2005 result.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
One upside of the Blues finals hopes now being completely snuffed is that they can now, confidently, send the dirt trackers to Apia while the 1st XV prepares for the Lions match.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Smith could be in line to turn out for the Highlanders tour match by skipping the Samoa test.

Speaking on Trackside Radio on Friday morning, Highlanders coach Tony Brown confirmed Ben Smith's new contract has a clause allowing him to play for the Super Rugby team against the Lions on June 13, instead of the All Blacks' test against Samoa three-days later.

"There's plenty of truth to that," Brown said.

"I actually think he wanted not only himself to play against the Lions, but he wanted every All Black who played for the Highlanders to be playing as well, but I'm not sure he got that one past [All Blacks coach Steve Hansen]."

While Smith's contract has the clause, Brown is not yet convinced Smith will indeed play for the Dunedin-based Super Rugby franchise.

"I'm not sure, to be honest," Brown said.

"I definitely know that was part of the contract, but depends on what happens when he gets in the All Black camp and how much influence Steve Hansen has over him."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...of-highlanders-historical-match-against-lions

Hopefully fringe and reserve players such as Sopoaga, Fekitoa and Naholo will also be available for the Highlanders.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Provincial Barbarians squad confirmed:

Forwards: Aidan Ross (Bay of Plenty), Tolu Fahamokioa (Wellington), Sam Anderson-Heather (Otago), Andrew Makalio (Tasman), Marcel Renata (Auckland), Oliver Jager (Canterbury), Keepa Mewett (Bay of Plenty), Joshua Goodhue (Northland), James Tucker (Waikato), Mitchell Dunshea (Canterbury), Lachlan Boshier (Taranaki), Matthew Matich (Northland), Peter Rowe (Wanganui)

Backs: Jack Stratton (Canterbury), Richard Judd (Bay of Plenty), Bryn Gatland (North Harbour), Dwayne Sweeney (Waikato), Kaveinga Finau (Inga) (Canterbury), Jonah Lowe (Hawke's Bay), Sevu Reece (Waikato), Sam Vaka (Counties Manukau), Luteru Laulala (Counties Manukau), Junior Ngaluafe (Southland)

A handful of Super Rugby extended squad members, most notably Bryn Gatland & Oliver Jager.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ben Smith could be in line to turn out for the Highlanders tour match by skipping the Samoa test.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...of-highlanders-historical-match-against-lions

Hopefully fringe and reserve players such as Sopoaga, Fekitoa and Naholo will also be available for the Highlanders.

"Highlanders fullback Ben Smith will not play for the franchise against the British and Irish Lions."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11863902

Had the option but has decided AB v Samoa trumps Clan v Lions & I think he's paid his dues so it's his call to make.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So the All Blacks have got a "new" logo/badge.

1496014379740.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/93086491/new-all-blacks-logo-revealed

Pretty naff. Will, hopefully, only be for the Lions series.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Latest on player availability (according to the Hurld) is that no-one will be released once the AB assemble on 11 June. Doesn't say where that leaves the CruSadists who play on 10 June but I'd suggest the frontliners like Whitelock & Franks won't be there.