• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Lawes coming off so early a pretty strong hint he'll start for Kruis in T2, which will really help them IMO esp if they also drop AWJ for Itoje. CJ Stander playing the full 80 (Gats only used three subs incl. Russell while Biggar was having his HIA) pretty much means he won't unless Faletau breaks something. Bizarre, that.

SMH (via UK Telegraph) reporting that because of public backlash over the 'geographical six' that he brought in, Gatland decided to only use them from the bench in case of injury http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ash-led-to-bench-blunder-20170627-gwzzsf.html

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ yeah, saw that. Kinda begs the question "why pick them in the first place?" IMO. You might just as well use guys from the original 41 on the bench using the same logic i.e. injury replacements only regardless of what's going on out there on the field. I think he's lost the plot just a wee bit there.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
As I said, no balls.

To select them, and then not play them is cowardice and self preservation of the highest order.

What pisses me off is that if what he's saying is truly to avoid criticism, his use of Dell in both in games, and Russell in the 2nd doesn't make sense.

By getting on the field, they're BILs players anyway. The circumstances (Marler being a prick of the highest order and Biggar's head knock) don't matter, they get the cap number and have it on the CV.

So there shouldn't be any problems in using them after that fact.

Fucking Marler was struggling for about the last 25 minutes of the match. Why would you not put Dell on? And Russell may have made a "mistake" (see creative intent beyond the game plan) or two, but having been on already, pulling whomever was likely to be on the bench on Sunday (1/2p, North, Nowell etc.) almost certainly wouldn't have turned the game into a loss by itself.

Id be arguing the same for any of the Welsh boys, and particularly Davies.

I'm not saying, I want it to happen by any means (don't want BILs losses or injured players), but it would be appropriate should say, Marler be forced into making an early appearance due to a pair of minor injuries to Vunipola and McGrath and then give away some losing penalties due to fatigue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As expected, Dagg to fullback, Naholo & ALB start. Not quite so expected, Laumape gets the 23 shirt:

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (c), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody. Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Aaron Cruden, 23 Ngani Laumape

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez, Laumape is a bit out of left field I thought, not that I have a problem with it, just didn't see it coming. I hope Naholo plays like he did for the Clan against the Lions, but anyway I have faith in Shag and his team have got reasons for why anyone is starting or on bench, certainly seems to be form is a guide.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's going to be a lot of kicking to start this test. Dagg may be spending a lot of time down the blindside wing on Lions exit plays.

EDIT: That's also one hell of an impact bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
British & Irish Lions (v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Saturday, July 1, 7.35pm NZST, 8.35am BST)
15. Liam Williams – Scarlets, Wales, #833
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
11. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790

1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #819
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #818
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
6. Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
20. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831
21. Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820
22. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
23. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well well with the 10/12 combo I suspect they are going to go to the air, or try and run it a bit wider as I can't see farrell playing the crash man to long.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Well well with the 10/12 combo I suspect they are going to go to the air, or try and run it a bit wider as I can't see farrell playing the crash man to long.

How are they going to go on defence? Can they handle SBW running straight at them? I genuinely can't remember how solid they are. Wonder if they're happy to have the AB's run that channel then attack with the new loosie combo?.. SBW will be glad to not be running into Te'o that's for sure.

Can't wait.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think there won't be envisaged success in SBW running straight over the top, but his offloads become significantly more deadly, due to Farrell's rather good one on one defense, but comparatively poor structural defense outside the current Sarries system.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Gatland is an absolute prawn for dumping Teo. The starch he added in defence was immense and their attack was fine.

I came here to say exactly that. Dropping Kruis instead of Alun Wyn Jones was a numpty move too. Plus Warburton? he can't help himself.

Farrell is garbage and i will never see his appeal.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The BIL can be expected to improve as the tour goes on, but the ABs have also in recent years continued to improve after the first couple of tests. I think we'll see another ABs' win by about 15 - 18.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I can understand the Warburton logic - the kiwi's totally bossed the breakdown last week.
AWJ hasn't played well all tour & still doesn't look 100% to me.
I've been impressed with Henderson & Lawes as a combo at 2nd row.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk