• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is the key. Things would be very different if there were literally hundreds of commentators employed to commentate around the country and at the top level we just got to hear the best of them.

Australian sports broadcasting is full of former players who have obvious allegiances. I think it is worse when they pretend they are neutral because they clearly aren't.

I find Rod Kafer worse to listen to than most because he tries to make it out that he is neutral and even-handed and he very much isn't.

At least it is clear where you sit with someone like Marto or Kearns. They wear their heart on their sleeve and get excited when their team wins and disappointed when they lose.

I'm not in any way saying that makes them good commentators, just that I think it is better that they don't try and hide it.

For me, if a rugby commentator does not have a "horse in the race", then they are not engaged enough to commentate rugby. Having some level of bias seems not just inevitable but necessary. Wear it, try to level not out, and move on.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not ideal timing for Rugby but also fuck Facebook and the lizardman.

I took facebook off my phone around Christmas time, had done it previously but always returned. Must say I don't miss it at all. I use it at work a little bit, less that 5mins a day, and check it on an iPad before going to bed to keep in contact with some people. Don't miss it at all. Was the biggest waste of time.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No.

2c807d8f-54ad-4c8b-bf00-21f8e2ebc824-jpeg.12036
6 FTA games for the Reds
5 FTA games for the Tahs
4 FTA games for the Brumbies
3 FTA games for the Rebs
2 FTA games for the Force

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is anyone else , like me, a current Stan subscriber via iTunes and getting zero assistance with respect to pre activating Stan sports?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Stan SPORT have just added an entire back catalogue of Super Rugby and Test Matches. Although I am going to the Reds v tahs I'll be keen to get home and see what the broadcast is like.

Who owns the rights to the games?

I always assumed that Foxtel would have owned the rights to the games and would not release them to opposition.

Great news though, hope they add more to the catalogue

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Is anyone else , like me, a current Stan subscriber via iTunes and getting zero assistance with respect to pre activating Stan sports?
I am, but got heaps of assistance. I activated through the Apple TV app. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• E5220605-5DDB-4766-92C2-318CF1810D6C.jpeg
    E5220605-5DDB-4766-92C2-318CF1810D6C.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 105

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
For me, if a rugby commentator does not have a "horse in the race", then they are not engaged enough to commentate rugby. Having some level of bias seems not just inevitable but necessary. Wear it, try to level not out, and move on.

Why is it that the least shit commentators in any sport are impartial?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have a question, every now and then a few of us would go to pub to watch a game, or if at pub would ask them if they could put one TV on rugby. Will pubs still give everyone that opportunity with having to have Stan to show game?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Have a question, every now and then a few of us would go to pub to watch a game, or if at pub would ask them if they could put one TV on rugby. Will pubs still give everyone that opportunity with having to have Stan to show game?

The pub will need to have Stan Sport - or have a punter willing to log in.

Luckily I know my local got it connected yesterday :D

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Open your STAN account, that's what I did, could not do it from the app but this way worked okay.