• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To be fair that data is a bit misleading when it comes to support. Like myself for instance I have two Rebels memberships and the last game of there’s I didn’t watch live or on TV would have been 4 odd years back when they were in South Africa. But I would still have test cricket one and probably Aussie Rules ahead as my favourite sport
Isn’t that exactly what the data is representing though, favourite sport/code? So not really misleading.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
And yet pre-covid they were still 17k a match, more then most/all super rugby teams.
They had a double header in Melbourne this year with the Melbourne sides back to back and they got less than 10k with no restrictions. People don’t want to go to the BBL anymore

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They had a double header in Melbourne this year with the Melbourne sides back to back and they got less than 10k with no restrictions. People don’t want to go to the BBL anymore

BBL at MCG 6 days earlier also drew a crowd of 20k. This season has been as disrupted as any.

SCG, Gabba and Perth Stadium were all averaging 15k this year before COVID impacted the season.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
BBL at MCG 6 days earlier also drew a crowd of 20k. This season has been as disrupted as any.

SCG, Gabba and Perth Stadium were all averaging 15k this year before COVID impacted the season.
The bash will be at the junction oval in a few years if they let this keep going

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The big bash is a comp that appeals more to ultra casual cricket fans that are looking for a socially acceptable night out with family / date and want some 'atmosphere'. It has minimal appeal to bona fide cricket fans and as a result will have almost no longevity, because people will move onto the next restaurant/activity/event that comes along leaving very few people behind. While it still averages higher than Super Rugby teams I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's done and dusted in 5-10 years altogether.

I say this because our society is highly trendy and being in vogue is everything. As soon as the big bash starts to produce some dire atmospheres and it all gets a bit low energy jeb they'll get into a deathroll, the bad press from whoever the rival media org to the host broadcaster is will eat them alive and all the casual fans will be off doing other =things.

A great question to ask about the big bash is can you name the team who won it last year? No one can. I don't know who's won it ever, and I can't be bothered looking it up to write this comment. That shows that no one actually cares about who wins the competition, it's just an entertainment device for people looking to do something.

If anything though, this should give us rugby fans hope - there's a huge casual sporting audience out there that will tune straight back in as soon as we're a big event with lots of people talking about us (Rugby World Cup 2027)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That spikhaza just about wraps it up the best description I have seen on BBL etc. I like you when in Aus I didn't know who won, and same back in NZ, there talk of games being on, and TV advertising games, but I genuinely haven't watched, or even have anyone said oh might go home and watch game etc!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d say there are more BBL fans in Aus then Super Rugby fans.

The longer season has definitely impacted on the product and CA are now talking about reverting it to the shorter season which it first started with. BBL just had 830,000 people watch the final, and the regularly season drew ratings of 300-400k and games in Brisbane, Sydney & Perth averaging 15k in attendance. These TV ratings are triple what Super Rugby in Australia gets.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
A great question to ask about the big bash is can you name the team who won it last year? No one can. I don't know who's won it ever, and I can't be bothered looking it up to write this comment.
I think more would remember who won BBL than Super Rugby.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I’d say there are more BBL fans in Aus then Super Rugby fans.

The longer season has definitely impacted on the product and CA are now talking about reverting it to the shorter season which it first started with. BBL just had 830,000 people watch the final, and the regularly season drew ratings of 300-400k and games in Brisbane, Sydney & Perth averaging 15k in attendance. These TV ratings are triple what Super Rugby in Australia gets.

No one is denying people watch it in a substantial way at the moment. The argument is that it has no narrative, isn't memorable and is more about casual entertainment than a legitimate sporting battle

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
No one is denying people watch it in a substantial way at the moment. The argument is that it has no narrative, isn't memorable and is more about casual entertainment than a legitimate sporting battle
As previously mentioned, if you're over 16 years old, and don't have kids under 16, Cricket Australia doesn't care what you think about the BBL, it's not targeted at you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crowds we dying pre covid. Cricket Aus has killed the bash

I think that's not particularly true.

It has dropped off a bit from the peaks of a few years ago but likewise there is less novelty factor as it is now a well established competition. COVID etc. has got in the way like it has with many sports.

It is still a huge product in terms of both live and television audiences.

One of the issues that is hard for them to get around is securing more of the top talent for more of the tournament. It needs a lot more money before it can reach the IPL stage where international teams basically avoid scheduling during the tournament because their players want the IPL money on offer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Same, I'm guessing Commercial/Residential (cable+satellite), and the top Foxtel line is the sum of all the platforms underneath.
Which is a bit misleading, as it's really only Binge and Kayo that are growing, and they would be much cheaper.

The cost of providing the streaming only options is also substantially lower.

It will be interesting to see how interest in Kayo changes as other streaming services start competing for sport more but there's definitely pretty clear evidence that Foxtel isn't about to die as many have been predicting for a long time.

Maybe they should have started the transition sooner but likewise, they were massively profitable for a long time as well and the business transition moves a substantial number of their existing customers to lower cost subscriptions.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think that's not particularly true.

It has dropped off a bit from the peaks of a few years ago but likewise there is less novelty factor as it is now a well established competition. COVID etc. has got in the way like it has with many sports.

It is still a huge product in terms of both live and television audiences.

One of the issues that is hard for them to get around is securing more of the top talent for more of the tournament. It needs a lot more money before it can reach the IPL stage where international teams basically avoid scheduling during the tournament because their players want the IPL money on offer.
Three crowds all season listed as more than 15k it is not drawing crowds at all

You can talk about covid all you want but the Stars v Canes into Renegades v Thunder at the G totalled 8k for a double header. Since the move to 7 it has been in massive decline, no big names from overseas play in it and hardly any big name Australians play in it.

It needs to be cut in half, BBL is longer than the IPL and they get far less money and have to be away from families for Christmas New Years

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Three crowds all season listed as more than 15k it is not drawing crowds at all

You can talk about covid all you want but the Stars v Canes into Renegades v Thunder at the G totalled 8k for a double header. Since the move to 7 it has been in massive decline, no big names from overseas play in it and hardly any big name Australians play in it.

Sporting crowds have been crushed everywhere.

I think a substantial issue for the BBL is that the Scorchers and Sixers have been too dominant of late which detracts from interest elsewhere.

Both Melbourne teams being awful this year also hurts taking away interest in the second biggest market in the country.

COVID also heavily impacted this season with lots of players being excluded and a lot of below par players getting opportunities. There were some genuinely dud teams fielded during the comp.

I don't think it is going to go back to where it was at its height in terms of interest but I do think the BBL will end up being a pretty sustainable tournament that is pretty valuable to Cricket Australia.

Reactions: mst

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

and? It appeals to its target market(younger kids), brings in crowds, tv ratings and sponsors at a greater level then Super Rugby.

My point is dismissing it because you don’t consider it a ‘legitimate sporting battle’ is a short sighted view of what appeals to the consumer market.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Well… that’s 1 more over 15k then Australian Super Rugby teams pulled in all of 2021

Without getting into a debate about semantics that's incorrect, the Reds pulled 19K to their regular season game against the Brumbies.

My point hasn't been to dismiss the BBL as a competition. It's to point out that while it pulls substantial crowds I believe it's in structural decline, and that I personally dislike it