• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not sure why Sydney private schools are suddenly playing AFL. No one in Brisbane private schools plays it. Suppose we are just different cities, different states and a different culture to down south. AFL will always be the Melbourne game to me and not a Queensland game. I guess QLD also places a unique emphasis on retaining its culture more so than some other states
Give it time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure why Sydney private schools are suddenly playing AFL. No one in Brisbane private schools plays it. Suppose we are just different cities, different states and a different culture to down south. AFL will always be the Melbourne game to me and not a Queensland game. I guess QLD also places a unique emphasis on retaining its culture more so than some other states

Sadly that’s not true.

Plenty of private schools in Brisbane play AFL these days; Iona, Ashgrove, Padua, St Laurence’s, St Patrick’s, Villanova, St Edmunds in the AIC all feature AFL teams from year 5 to 12. AFL paid for a Aussie rules field to be installed at Ashgrove.

Likewise NRL participation bas increased in term 3.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ah, yes they do

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Sadly that’s not true.

Plenty of private schools in Brisbane play AFL these days; Iona, Ashgrove, Padua, St Laurence’s, St Patrick’s, Villanova, St Edmunds in the AIC all feature AFL teams from year 5 to 12. AFL paid for a Aussie rules field to be installed at Ashgrove.

Likewise NRL participation bas increased in term 3.
yeah these schools offer the full range - afl term 1, union and soccer term 2, league term 3.

afl and league have limited teams - basically only an A and B team. whereas with union and soccer they create as many teams as possible from the kids interested. league is only in its third year.

from my experience (kids in 5 and 7 at these schools), in the younger grades the same bunch of coordinated sporty boys play afl, union and league. they just want to play "footy" and don't care what form it comes in.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Has been for a while. Best club comp. Best provincial team. Best home crowds and home performances. Best player production. Probably the best stadium for rugby (certainly isn't fucking ANZ lol).

All the Sydney schools (the only player production we offer) are busy installing AFL facilities.

My impression is that the Queensland club comp is much, much better integrated within the hierarchy and Queensland rugby system, than SRU/Shute Shield. We gain exponential benefit from this foundation. Well done QRU and well done the Reds and well done the clubs.

I'm not sure I'd call the rugby better though. Nor player production as better. NSW has some natural advantage. Can only agree that the adversarial independence of SRU and determined non-integration with NSWRU is a massive bell around the neck of NSW rugby. Let alone connecting to the grass roots of subbies. I also think that Australian Rugby can not afford for that to continue - to the point that an accommodation is required to adapt the system so that SRU is happy to slot in.

Sooner the better.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is pretty far removed from the current situation at private schools in Brisbane.

Marist Ashgrove has something like 12 AFL teams across the school and has been playing and producing the odd professional AFL player since back in 2007 (Lachlan Keefe picked from high school AFL and played 4 seasons for Collingwood), not to mention 2011 graduate Charlie Cameron being a current Lions star and pushing the game even further at this old school.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is pretty far removed from the current situation at private schools in Brisbane.

Marist Ashgrove has something like 12 AFL teams across the school and has been playing and producing the odd professional AFL player since back in 2007 (Lachlan Keefe picked from high school AFL and played 4 seasons for Collingwood), not to mention 2011 graduate Charlie Cameron being a current Lions star and pushing the game even further at this old school.
Then got a doping ban good riddance, also I wouldn’t say he was a product of the school either as he hadn’t played a game of Aussie Rules when recruited by Collingwood. They used an old system to pick him up where you could sign athletes from NSW or Qld who aren’t registered players for club or school. The now Gold Coast captain Jarrod Witts was recruited the same way out of Sydney. Was playing second row in the NSW state side in his age group when Collingwood game him a contract

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Then got a doping ban good riddance, also I wouldn’t say he was a product of the school either as he hadn’t played a game of Aussie Rules when recruited by Collingwood.
He actually did play at Marist, in the inaugural Open AFL team back in 2006 and 2007, which was the point of my post, private schools in Brisbane had some type of AFL being played since at least back then. He may not have played any AFL of note, but he definitely played at school.

I should also mention it isn’t surprising you can’t find any notes about that, because they weren’t even playing in an offical AIC competition back then, it was an end of year muck around league. Since those days though the AIC comp does play AFL.

EDIT: and for a rugby connection - future Waratahs, Rebels, Stade Frances and Fijian player Alex Rokobaro played with Keefe in the same AFL team at Marist.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
He actually did play at Marist, in the inaugural Open AFL team back in 2006 and 2007, which was the point of my post, private schools in Brisbane had some type of AFL being played since at least back then. He may not have played any AFL of note, but he definitely played at school.

I should also mention it isn’t surprising you can’t find any notes about that, because they weren’t even playing in an offical AIC competition back then, it was an end of year muck around league. Since those days though the AIC comp does play AFL.

EDIT: and for a rugby connection - future Waratahs, Rebels, Stade Frances and Fijian player Alex Rokobaro played with Keefe in the same AFL team at Marist.
He can’t of ever played an officially sanctioned match until after he was contracted as they were the rules.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
People complained about the deluge of big bash commentary so lets discuss some ratings. Here's a quick spreadsheet I did up of last years publicised TV ratings on GEM. I haven't included the STAN ratings, because they are frankly unreliable and not independently measured.

Last year we averaged 82,222 per free to air game. I think that this year we should be aiming to increase that by 15% and average about 95,000 per game. I think the horrortahs have a large potential here.

Looking at the TV guide and it looks like 9's plan is to continue having the Saturday game on GEM which is good.

Note that all team averages don't include finals here, except for the overall average, which i think is fair enough to include.

1644995341715.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
People complained about the deluge of big bash commentary so lets discuss some ratings. Here's a quick spreadsheet I did up of last years publicised TV ratings on GEM. I haven't included the STAN ratings, because they are frankly unreliable and not independently measured.

Last year we averaged 82,222 per free to air game. I think that this year we should be aiming to increase that by 15% and average about 95,000 per game. I think the horrortahs have a large potential here.

Looking at the TV guide and it looks like 9's plan is to continue having the Saturday game on GEM which is good.

Note that all team averages don't include finals here, except for the overall average, which i think is fair enough to include.

View attachment 13021
Super Rugby Pacific
Rd 1 Reds v Rebels 74,000

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Super Rugby Pacific
Rd 1 Reds v Rebels 74,000
To be fair that doesn’t take into account the numbers on Stan. While Kayo also shows the bash cricket has always been a FTA product

Any time I have watched the bash I have watched 10/7 yet I have Kayo. But I have never watched the Super Rugby on 9

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
To be fair that doesn’t take into account the numbers on Stan. While Kayo also shows the bash cricket has always been a FTA product

Any time I have watched the bash I have watched 10/7 yet I have Kayo. But I have never watched the Super Rugby on 9
If you look at Spikhaza's post above the corresponding game last year drew 65k. We all know the Rebels and Force don't draw as many as Reds/Tahs, Tahs/Brumbies, Reds/Brumbies. But that represents a 14% increase on the game from last season. If we can average that across the board this season I'll be happy enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Unfortunately can only work with the data you have, and we only get half.

Rebels the lowest drawing Aussie team for FTA TV based on last years data, 8k tuned in on Nine Gem from Melbourne for this Rd 1 match. 26k in Sydney and 30k in Brisbane.

Perhaps Melbourne viewers prefer Stan, you’d think the Stan to Nine Gem ratio would be pretty consistent across cities though.

Still an improvement on last years corresponding match. Next week Rebels v Force will be on FTA; the lowest rating teams against each other so ratings could dip below 50k on FTA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately can only work with the data you have, and we only get half.

Rebels the lowest drawing Aussie team for FTA TV based on last years data, 8k tuned in on Nine Gem from Melbourne for this Rd 1 match. 26k in Sydney and 30k in Brisbane.

Perhaps Melbourne viewers prefer Stan, you’d think the Stan to Nine Gem ratio would be pretty consistent across cities though.

Still an improvement on last years corresponding match. Next week Rebels v Force will be on FTA; the lowest rating teams against each other so ratings could dip below 50k on FTA.
That's just stupid planning. The Tahs host the Reds in what is our biggest rating game each season and it's not gong to be the FTA game. Seriously.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand but you want to have your best rating games on the broader platform. The Tahs/Reds game last season drew 97k. Could have cracked the 100k this year. I'll be tuning in regardless but it's a missed opportunity and I can't fathom why RA would agree to this scheduling.
I'm guessing it was a function of the late notice covid enforced reschedule