• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Even then. If I were in charge of the scheduling I'd have certain fixtures that I fight tooth and nail to keep on FTA. Tahs v Reds is a no brainer.
But just because they have the most fans doesn’t mean it is seen as the best way to grow the game/viewership. The Force have been very impressive today and sadly my Rebels were disappointing but the Force got the least FTA games last year from memory.

It could be seen getting a game into Melbourne and Perth before the AFL starts and trying to attract new eyeballs to the game is the best way to go

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There is still the return fixture and it's scheduled for a Saturday so I assume it will be the FTA game that round.

Well, hopefully both teams are performing well then. If they are that'll draw the viewership we want to see. I just think we should be looking to maximise our exposure and that means being very selective in our FTA games. That means that it won't necessarily be the fairest splits but if it in the end leads to a better deal next time round then it is worth it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It could be seen getting a game into Melbourne and Perth before the AFL starts and trying to attract new eyeballs to the game is the best way to go

Good point, and the FTA exposure needs to be shared around for the sake of sponsors/fans, so can’t always just use the same teams over and over

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I almost had to watch the game on Gem instead of Stan. My smart TV was having a lot of drop outs with the Stan broadcast right up until kickoff. I switched to using my PS5 and had no issues, which is a surprise because live broadcasts and my PS5 never usually work.

Luckily I had a second option.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good point, and the FTA exposure needs to be shared around for the sake of sponsors/fans, so can’t always just use the same teams over and over
Also FTA ratings are only one metric that will decide if we get a better deal next time. Now I know Stan don’t make viewership and subscription numbers public but it’s something they will be very aware of. If the Reds Tahs helps attract more viewers to stan sports than that will also help us get a better deal

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan advertising noticeably less this year I feel, maybe I’m just not out and about enough. I always felt last year would have been a greater level given it was a new product and written off as initial startup costs by Stan

Now that it has a reasonable following on Stan Sport, they’re going a lot of cross-promotional stuff in the other sports etc on the platform.

Nine release their AGM on Thursday so should get an update on Stan Sport subscribers then

Reactions: dru

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure if this has already been covered, but it seems Stan is now available for pubs, clubs etc - "Stan Sport Venues is the dedicated service for Pubs and Clubs around Australia to show Rugby. To access you will need a venues subscription and the Stan app on an internet connected streaming device. For more information, please visit their website: https://www.stan.com.au/sport/venues" (from https://www.rugby.com.au/watch ).

Though I'm guessing a lot of pubs & clubs wouldn't have their TVs connected to a streaming device?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah it would require a lot of pubs and clubs to upgrade their infrastructure, but good too see there’s some hope of watching it at a pub. Just need to find the Rugby Friendly pubs.

It’d be good if they published a list of those venues which have it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely pubs having TV's hooked up to streaming services is inevitable, no?

Yep - I mean any pub that has upgraded their televisions in the last 5 years should have access to SmartTV streaming functionality, and Stan is installed out of the box for most of them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
More importantly it could see Stan Sport in rugby clubs. I know my local club in Melbourne had a deal with Fox that they got rugby and nothing else.

Costs look like:

Small: > 400 people, 4 streams $300/month
Medium: > 600 people, 6 streams $400/month
Large: > 800 people, 8 streams
Custom: $ tailored packages

Foxtel price their subscriptions differently, but StanVenue seems to charge $thousands less per month then FoxtelVenues.

Yep - I mean any pub that has upgraded their televisions in the last 5 years should have access to SmartTV streaming functionality, and Stan is installed out of the box for most of them.
It’s not as simple as having a smart tv though, when you’re talking 4-6 TVs each streaming 4K at 15mbps then internet and wifi Infrastructure needs to be upgraded, and it needs to be reliable also. Most pubs would require some kind of infrastructure upgrade to accomodate streaming.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It’s not as simple as having a smart tv though, when you’re talking 4-6 TVs each streaming 4K at 15mbps then internet and wifi Infrastructure needs to be upgraded, and it needs to be reliable also. Most pubs would require some kind of infrastructure upgrade to accomodate streaming.
No pub in my area will be streaming rugby on 6 TVs! I was more thinking we'd get it on one.

But yes I take your point.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
You also need to have a staff member to go and get each match going on a stream - when a match ends there is nothing following. Much easier having the fox box behind the bar, and there is always something showing.

It's pretty easy at home but we need to make it as easy as possible for pubic viewing.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You also need to have a staff member to go and get each match going on a stream - when a match ends there is nothing following. Much easier having the fox box behind the bar, and there is always something showing.

It's pretty easy at home but we need to make it as easy as possible for pubic viewing.

I reckon they might make the Venue mode service a bit different - have the channel playing replays of vintage games between the two teams about to play before and after the live broadcast, I mean they did get the entire catalogue of vintage matches so they may as well use them.