• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well… that’s 1 more over 15k then Australian Super Rugby teams pulled in all of 2021
And? The BBL is a competition that’s in a sharp decline. I am a big cricket fan and use to watch most BBL games and now watch none

They need a revamped go back to the state teams everyone plays each other once get top line internationals

Play the white ball internationals earlier in the summer and then into Feb and have that post New Years test window free so all the Aussie players can play in the bash

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
At the risk of turning this thread into a BBL cricket rinsing party - I think the BBL also filled a void for Australian cricket fans who were left disheartened by the test team cheating scandal. There was a lot of negative energy around the Australian side and many fans fell out of love with that team for a while.

It was good to have a product like the BBL to keep the cricket flowing on television and provide a light hearted product without the negative constraints associated with that period of Australian cricket.

Once the test team became it's own entity again and the water went under the bridge, a lot of people reverted their attention back to that product and left the BBL behind, which is fine.

Us posters on this forum aren't exactly the target market for the BBL either from a demographic point of view, unless you guys are 12 years old, and some might be based on the chat.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Without getting into a debate about semantics that's incorrect, the Reds pulled 19K to their regular season game against the Brumbies.

Agree don’t want to debate semantics. But that game was one of the two Super Rugby games in Aus that drew above 15k in 2021.

My point hasn't been to dismiss the BBL as a competition. It's to point out that while it pulls substantial crowds I believe it's in structural decline, and that I personally dislike it
You might dislike it, but you also might not be the target audience?

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
At the risk of turning this thread into a BBL cricket rinsing party - I think the BBL also filled a void for Australian cricket fans who were left disheartened by the test team cheating scandal. There was a lot of negative energy around the Australian side and many fans fell out of love with that team for a while.

It was good to have a product like the BBL to keep the cricket flowing on television and provide a light hearted product without the negative constraints associated with that period of Australian cricket.

Once the test team became it's own entity again and the water went under the bridge, a lot of people reverted their attention back to that product and left the BBL behind, which is fine.

Us posters on this forum aren't exactly the target market for the BBL either from a demographic point of view, unless you guys are 12 years old, and some might be based on the chat.
Phil, that's a very good point about the vibe in Australian cricket when the BBL started. Even before Sandpaper, there were a lot of people not only disenfranchised by dickhead behaviour by the team, but also by the lazy, entitled commentary from channel 9. The channel 10 commentary was a breath of fresh air - good fun, but also really perceptive analysis from Ponting and Gilchrist. Not unlike the change in the attitude of the rugby commentary from Fox to Stan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So 3 of 61 above 15k as opposed to 2 from 22
If we’re counting, no Super Rugby TT pulled over 15k either

I'm not really sure looking at the crowds at a competition played through the peak of the biggest COVID outbreak in Australia since the pandemic began is a good measuring stick.
precisely.. so many variables to consider when it comes to attendance past 24 months. TV ratings are the only true metric which be assessed for fan popularity at the moment

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
precisely.. so many variables to consider when it comes to attendance past 24 months. TV ratings are the only true metric which be assessed for fan popularity at the moment
Even TV ratings are inflated during that period, maybe not for the 'core' Aussie sports, but I know plenty of people who started tuning into the NBA during lockdown because it was played at a convenient time with people stuck 'working' from home.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
<Yawn>

What on earth has cricket to do with Broadcast options for Australian rugby? No, don't answer that, I'll just let myself out and find a rugby thread.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
<Yawn>

What on earth has cricket to do with Broadcast options for Australian rugby? No, don't answer that, I'll just let myself out and find a rugby thread.
We desperately need the rugby season to start...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
<Yawn>

If you don’t like it, jump into one of the other 50 threads on this chat forum. Your comment is the yawn mate.

Several posters clearly enjoying the discussion here. Not exactly much movement with broadcast arrangements in the rugby world at the moment, and the discussion started by comparing crowds and viewing numbers of popular Australian sports, which happens to include, shock horror - cricket!

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Sorry, there are a number of people myself included who have a deranged love of television ratings and agreements.

The fact is that right now we're all pretty happy with the Stan FTA deal so we can go on tangents about the big bash

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
SANZAAR hasn’t secured a preferable broadcasting deal for UK tv rights so they’re now offering Super Rugby Pacific 2022 for a one off 50 pounds payment.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
SANZAAR hasn’t secured a preferable broadcasting deal for UK tv rights so they’re now offering Super Rugby Pacific 2022 for a one off 50 pounds payment.
Going to be an interesting exercise. I doubt it will bring in what a tv deal would but in it's first year, spun up at late notice that's to be expected. If it does at all well the rights for next year will have to look a lot more appealing, particularly to someone like amazon just breaking into the rugby market.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If we’re counting, no Super Rugby TT pulled over 15k either
Well apart form Crusaders/Reds was second biggest crowd behind, 22,000 only behind final. Seems Brisbane is really the rugby capital of Aussie;)

Actually just looked, Reds had home crowds exceeding 10,000 7 times last year, admittedly 2 were finals, only other stadium to do it was in Perth where Force got 13,000 against a couple of kiwi teams. The Qlders got out to game against Chiefs in Townsville too, so does seem that really is getting to be rugby's base in Aus?

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well apart form Crusaders/Reds was second biggest crowd behind, 22,000 only behind final. Seems Brisbane is really the rugby capital of Aussie;)

Actually just looked, Reds had home crowds exceeding 10,000 7 times last year, admittedly 2 were finals, only other stadium to do it was in Perth where Force got 13,000 against a couple of kiwi teams. The Qlders got out to game against Chiefs in Townsville too, so does seem that really is getting to be rugby's base in Aus?
Has been for a while. Best club comp. Best provincial team. Best home crowds and home performances. Best player production. Probably the best stadium for rugby (certainly isn't fucking ANZ lol).

All the Sydney schools (the only player production we offer) are busy installing AFL facilities.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Not sure why Sydney private schools are suddenly playing AFL. No one in Brisbane private schools plays it. Suppose we are just different cities, different states and a different culture to down south. AFL will always be the Melbourne game to me and not a Queensland game. I guess QLD also places a unique emphasis on retaining its culture more so than some other states