• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any word on why no Japan season?

I’m sure it’s just a broadcasting issue, but considering the best Aussie talent not playing in Super Rugby is nearly all based in Japan, I wonder if it’s to divert attention back onto the home soil product.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bit of a shame. Hopefully it ends up on something even the 'The Rugby Network' app which has the MLR and some US College rugby. I actually don't mind watching the MLR. The slight drop in quality means it is actually a bit looser and more the traditional look of Rugby you see with School Boy rather than the over structure of some Super Rugby games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see Rugby Australia break with the other sports and come out in favour of the anti-siphoning legislation:
Might pay to be careful what they wish for, if 9 have to play lesser tests on their main channel which is 9, not there subsidiary, they may not want to pay as much? Probably need to just say on FTA?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
For anyone else who is struggling to fill the rugby itch, the Heineken cup is back on foxtel & kayo this week (Bien3). They didn't show the 1st 2 weeks for some reason

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Really annoyed me they didn't show it

Oh for you cause I know you like the top 14, a channel popped up just recently on youtube "rugby try-lights" & they have been putting up full replays of the top 14. Last weekend I had on La Rochelle v Toulouse in English commentary.

I actually miss having the japan league on stan as well

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Oh for you cause I know you like the top 14, a channel popped up just recently on youtube "rugby try-lights" & they have been putting up full replays of the top 14. Last weekend I had on La Rochelle v Toulouse in English commentary.

I actually miss having the japan league on stan as well
haha I have found them too, literally watching it one screen at work now, Glasgow v Stormers. Got URC too. Not quite sure how they haven't been taken down yet.

edit: Damn. Sione Tuipulotu had an absolute blinder of a game. Don't know if he would ever be Wallabies level but he'd be a brilliant super player by now. MoTM performance IMO.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
haha I have found them too, literally watching it one screen at work now, Glasgow v Stormers. Got URC too. Not quite sure how they haven't been taken down yet.

edit: Damn. Sione Tuipulotu had an absolute blinder of a game. Don't know if he would ever be Wallabies level but he'd be a brilliant super player by now. MoTM performance IMO.

He'd be handy at the rebels in the centres atm

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Whether or not he'd be a Wallaby I think he does demonstrate what consistent gametime can do. In the 18 months (give or take) since joining Glasgow in mid '21 he's played 42 professional games (30 Glasgow, 11 Scotland, 1 Scotland A).

As compared to the 6, 6.5 seasons of rugby before I would wager he would have played less than 60 "pro" games total, and a huge chunk of those would have been made Junior World Cup & NRC appearances.

He very pleasantly continues to surprise (somewhat expected him to be handy for Glasgow and get 3-6 Scottish Caps total) and seems to be adding a lot more strings to his bow as time goes on and he gets more time and confidence. Hope he can convince Mosese to embrace the correct shade of blue soon enough.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
C4E31546-1AAC-4401-AA26-5E813F4C0AE3.jpeg

I’d love one of these to follow the Wallabies into the World Cup. Amazon style with the Cricket team. Sure some would worry about it being a distraction but they are already filming each other for Instagram stories and Tik Tok.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh these sports ‘inside the team’ docos definitely seem to be the flavour of the month.

Drive to Survive I think is the bench mark, The Test (cricket) is quite good. I haven’t got around to it yet but have heard the tennis one is a bit meh so far.

Agree it would be cool to see a Wallabies. I think its pretty likely we see one start filming in 2026 and build up to the home RWC. Assuming these other rugby ones don’t flop.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeh these sports ‘inside the team’ docos definitely seem to be the flavour of the month.

Drive to Survive I think is the bench mark, The Test (cricket) is quite good. I haven’t got around to it yet but have heard the tennis one is a bit meh so far.

Agree it would be cool to see a Wallabies. I think its pretty likely we see one start filming in 2026 and build up to the home RWC. Assuming these other rugby ones don’t flop.
True. Lions series as well would be good. The Lions do it already but could be a good concept to do both sides of a series.

Drive to survive is fantastic and it's because of the access they are given. The other I've really enjoyed is 'Sunderland til I die'

People love reality shows that a true reality instead of people who just want to be famous.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
True. Lions series as well would be good. The Lions do it already but could be a good concept to do both sides of a series.

Drive to survive is fantastic and it's because of the access they are given. The other I've really enjoyed is 'Sunderland til I die'

People love reality shows that a true reality instead of people who just want to be famous.
Yeah, let's have lots of shots of players chundering after being flogged in cardio training!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see Drew Mitchell is taking up a career in commercial property down in Sydney.

Reckons he’s walked away from channel 9 or is it just a side hustle?