• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I get why they think stuff like this is good but it's during a game, and no player is giving anything insightful that could be potentially used against them. It's just going to be more cliche stuff.

"yeah very physical out there" "tough battle" "hope the boys come out on top here"

The only personnel who I believe can give some legitimate insight ‘on the fly’ are the coaches. I wouldn’t mind them doing a post-halftime catch up with either the head coach or an assistant about which areas of the game they want to improve, possible player subs coming up soon etc.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the point you are all missing is, it gives you who know the game well and can form your own opinion nothing but it’s not for you. It’s for the new viewers who don’t know the game

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It means that a price increase is certain in the near future.
Honestly, if it means I don't get ads, I can live with it.

I have Optus Sport for the EPL. I generally watch either the 25 minute mini match or the 9 minute highlights. The later has 4 unskippable ads, each roughly 30 seconds and most of the time, theres two TAB ads.

Just makes for horrible viewing.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
EPL rights will be interesting next time around, Stan sports have quite a channel now and EPL would go well with the Euro football.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I have noticed that but then wondered is it targeted advertising?
Yeah definitely, don't think my missus is getting bombarded with Stan adverts. But it's a good way of trying to solve the issue of, "me mates are all rugby fans but they didn't even realise that the super season has started".

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There's an interesting hack going around at the moment - apparently you can get a Western Bulldogs (the AFL club) "digital membership" that gives you a Kayo subscription for the year $140 cheaper given the upcoming price rise. You can do it with other clubs to, but the Western Bulldogs one is apparently the cheapest.

Obviously this is a bit of special situation with the price rise, but I'd love to see RA negotiate some sort digital membership offering for the super sides to offer that netted you a year of Stan at a deal - or maybe as a way to get sport only stan. Anything to drive that fan engagement through the teams would be a plus.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Stan Sport add-on is increasing next month by 50% to $15

That's a pretty large hike considering you can't get SS without the base platform.

I'd usually keep it in Dec-Jan-Feb to watch the Premiership but not worth it at that price.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say , after a couple of weeks holiday in Aus, I did enjoy the ease of Stan's site. Likes being able to just have all games sitting there if you missed it and then having choice of full game or highlights package. Was quite good I thought, no doubt if you wanted to find things to moan about there would be one or two , but I just found whole thing pretty good in general to be recommended !

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have to say , after a couple of weeks holiday in Aus, I did enjoy the ease of Stan's site. Likes being able to just have all games sitting there if you missed it and then having choice of full game or highlights package. Was quite good I thought, no doubt if you wanted to find things to moan about there would be one or two , but I just found whole thing pretty good in general to be recommended !
Stan is good, the only issue is the lack of sports content that isn’t rugby. Personally I love my Aussie Rules and test cricket. I also watch the NRL, F1 and NFL. Kayo has a better catalog, but Stan lets me stream Rugby in 4K, Kayo anything over 720p when it’s an AFL game and it just drops out

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Any viewer numbers available? based on the first weekend I had thought we might see a significant boost this season but since then things have seemed abysmal.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I love the Mini format. Unfortunately, I do enjoy watching the NRL as well so it becomes an issue to fit them all in if I don't want things spoiled. Being able to watch a game first thing in the morning over breaky or what not.

Only criticism is SBW. He's an absolute punish

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Stan Sport price increase… genuinely makes me think about letting it go with the NRL back on. They just don’t offer enough for the price. 6 Nations is done and no other Tests for a while. Definitely won’t get anyone new to watch it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sure, I guess. But now as the calendar starts to fill up and I'll be going to kids Rugby and what not I'd only watch my Club and more likely to go to the game every couple of weeks. Most people will just let it increase and there's every chance I just do that to, and they know that, but in terms of Content the Quality is good but the Quantity is lacking. Personally not a Tennis & Soccer watcher.