• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d say just another job/looking after any future movements. He’s alright on TV but can’t imagine it’s a great living if it’s your full time gig being mainly a streaming service.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Commentating is a fickle industry, especially for rugby union commentators. It's a broadcast agreement away from been unemployed, not exactly long term security.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Netflix really? I thought Amazon has the streaming rights after the private equity deal went through
6N rights are all over the place, depends on who is at home to who has the rights. In Ireland games are shown on FTA while the UK it's behind a paywall I think at the moment.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh these sports ‘inside the team’ docos definitely seem to be the flavour of the month.

Drive to Survive I think is the bench mark, The Test (cricket) is quite good. I haven’t got around to it yet but have heard the tennis one is a bit meh so far.
The golf one trailer looks pretty good

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Tennis one (Break Point) hasn't really done it for me but I'm not a big fan of Tennis. Having said that I was never into Motor Sport, and I thought Drive to Survive is great.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
The Tennis one (Break Point) hasn't really done it for me but I'm not a big fan of Tennis. Having said that I was never into Motor Sport, and I thought Drive to Survive is great.
I think that might come down to the depth of what can be revealed in F1. Tennis is, at the end of the day, a guy or girl with a stick against a guy or girl with a stick. A ball is also involved. A Tennis player's personality is also usually pretty self evident.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This is doing the rounds in vic atm, the difference in amounts between the clubs is pretty crazy but from our game point of view the 2 expansion clubs are getting more combined than our game is per year & we have to compete with that!

Attachments

• 8382395C-C24C-4F08-A868-BA2254EAA0A5.png
    8382395C-C24C-4F08-A868-BA2254EAA0A5.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 132

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting question.

I think for rugby it’s a positive, Nine have long term sunken costs in the platform now, they can’t just cut and run. Which gives Rugby better leverage at the next negotiation.

Based on the catalogue of spots that Stan Sports has secured, rugby is the primary content driver Feb-Jul. Australian Open is the key content in January, the Summer Olympics and RWC will be the key events in the Aug-Oct period.

SVOD don’t want churn in their product, providing content year round is key to that. To be fair they probably missed the boat by going with Tennis over Cricket.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it’s a positive that the platform won’t be shit canned in the near future.
Yep streaming services need more content to survive, like it lump it in NZ we have Sky (NZ version of foxtel) and I can watch almost every major sporting even on it, which keeps me using it. On a wet day I can just sit here and watch rugby, soccer, cricket, golf,darts, league (never happens though) NBL,NFL,NHL etc. So while understand how good Stan is etc I do think streaming services have to do similar, and need a good range if they want to survive. We had Spark try and do it with NZ cricket ,and very little else it seems. I hooked onto them for a month when women's rugby WC was on , bit like many just for the month. They need to hold us longer than that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Loving Eddie's podcast, 2nd one more interesting. Would be great if he kept it going through out the RWC.

Makes me think of how good it was when Cheika commentated a bit. Their knowledge puts the regular commentators to shame. He even ripped into one of the English commentators, saying their understanding of the game is from the '80s. Described France as a great counterattacking team when in actuality they boot every single ball back.

Good insight into refs' influence on the game too. Says if Ireland v France have an english ref then that suits Ireland as they don't referee the contest too hard (except Barnes apparently, who does it more even handedly which could favour the French).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Loving Eddie's podcast, 2nd one more interesting. Would be great if he kept it going through out the RWC.

Makes me think of how good it was when Cheika commentated a bit. Their knowledge puts the regular commentators to shame. He even ripped into one of the English commentators, saying their understanding of the game is from the '80s. Described France as a great counterattacking team when in actuality they boot every single ball back.

Good insight into refs' influence on the game too. Says if Ireland v France have an english ref then that suits Ireland as they don't referee the contest too hard (except Barnes apparently, who does it more even handedly which could favour the French).

he sounded exhausted though. Hopefully just sick and isn't going to run out of steam too soon

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan introducing the "Hot Seat' in 2023:
On the other side of the match day experience, broadcaster Stan is also working to make Super Rugby more exciting, with more in-game access to players and coaches. Purists don’t like the halftime interview, where a presenter tries to extract fresh insights from an exhausted player as they trudge off the field. They might like the Hot Seat, though, which uses the same concept to quiz a substituted player about what the game feels like for those out there in the heat of battle.