• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think those numbers are entirely off the back of the cancelled Shute Shield in 2021 - easy to have massive growth off of a partial season for Shute and Hospitals Cup was the only club rugby on in 2021 so it likely picked up a few more viewers from NSW who went back to watching Shute in 2022
Exactly

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting the QPR viewership with a decrease but the Shute with a significant increase.

That surprises me, I would have assumed both would have seen a decrease as heading back to the rugby in person became normalised again post-COVID.
I watched the QPR two years ago to watch the Rebels boys at west and because I was in lockdown. I would love to still watch it and would like to catch a game live but I don’t have time for it now

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ouch, that is not really what you want to read from your broadcaster though is it? They are going to broadcast all the Women's league games on FTA, is certainly not great news if you wanting more money for rugby out of them?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah you’re right, a coupe of those NRLW matches on Nines primary channel actually clash with Wallabies test, even worse if they're bumped to Gem.

Still, issue is womens NRL is getting prime time on primary channels and Super Rugby isn’t. Depending how NRLW rates this season, they’ll adjust the season next year again.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah you’re right, a coupe of those NRLW matches on Nines primary channel actually clash with Wallabies test, even worse if they're bumped to Gem.

Still, issue is womens NRL is getting prime time on primary channels and Super Rugby isn’t. Depending how NRLW rates this season, they’ll adjust the season next year again.

Yeh I think your second point is probably the main takeaway for me.

Nine have decided to show EVERY game of NRLW live and free although I think the wording of media release is vague enough that some games will be shifted to GEM but the 'prime time' ones will be on Nine main channel.

Very different treatment to the Super Rugby product.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It seems an accurate reflection of where Super Rugby is at in Aus. I love rugby (I blame my old man) but Super Rugby is objectively a bad competition at this stage.

Why would such a poor product that offers very little for local viewers get prime time? The only reason would be because RA negotiate it as part of a broadcast deal - and that's just leveraging the Wallabies.

If Super Rugby had to stand on it's own two feet we'd all forget about it tomorrow.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm enjoying this new Wallabies youtube channel, their little pieces on Kellaway and Nawaqanitawase are good fun and well made. But why the new channel? Rugby.com.au's one has 100k subscribers already, do they need a separate channel?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm enjoying this new Wallabies youtube channel, their little pieces on Kellaway and Nawaqanitawase are good fun and well made. But why the new channel? Rugby.com.au's one has 100k subscribers already, do they need a separate channel?

rugby.com.au is the news arm of Rugby Australia...

The Wallabies channel is to promote the team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
rugby.com.au is the news arm of Rugby Australia...

The Wallabies channel is to promote the team.
I understand but they're probably both run by the same intern. Rugby.com.au used to put out the videos that the Wallabies are putting out now. Why change now?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand but they're probably both run by the same intern. Rugby.com.au used to put out the videos that the Wallabies are putting out now. Why change now?

The content would be managed by different people...

It's no different from any of the Super Rugby teams having their own youtube channel.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It seems an accurate reflection of where Super Rugby is at in Aus. I love rugby (I blame my old man) but Super Rugby is objectively a bad competition at this stage.

Why would such a poor product that offers very little for local viewers get prime time? The only reason would be because Rugby Australia negotiate it as part of a broadcast deal - and that's just leveraging the Wallabies.

If Super Rugby had to stand on it's own two feet we'd all forget about it tomorrow.
"If Super Rugby had to stand on it's own two feet we'd all forget about it tomorrow." and that is the crux of the issue.

Super Rugby has never had two stand on its own two feet, this has essentially rendered the competition un-competitive when competing against rival codes which have improved and adapted to the marketplace 100 times better, to the extent now that they can both subsidize there female content.
The sad reality for rugby now is when they finally get the womens game up and running and begin chasing the market share they will desperately need to survive that market share will already have been taken up by rival codes

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Its not just 9/Stan & its not just rugby broadcasters everywhere now are not commentating from the ground & its bloody horrible. The callers just don't get the feel of the game! I get it its alot worse in aussie rules but we are paying more than ever & getting a lesser product in some ways. Surely they could have paid for Malonley to go over to perth & chucked Jono Lance in the box with him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Its not just 9/Stan & its not just rugby broadcasters everywhere now are not commentating from the ground & its bloody horrible. The callers just don't get the feel of the game! I get it its alot worse in aussie rules but we are paying more than ever & getting a lesser product in some ways. Surely they could have paid for Malonley to go over to perth & chucked Jono Lance in the box with him.
I am a bit bemused how often commentators are not at game on some Aus games etc. I guess it to do with Stan cutting costs etc, and maybe not getting as much out of it as they would hope? I know the tyranny of distance etc is a handful is Aus, but I do think they lose something not being at ground.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am a bit bemused how often commentators are not at game on some Aus games etc. I guess it to do with Stan cutting costs etc, and maybe not getting as much out of it as they would hope? I know the tyranny of distance etc is a handful is Aus, but I do think they lose something not being at ground.

This is common practice for most sports…

It’s just not Stan.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Associated costs aside, there’s often a personal element left out of these discussions - the drain of travel on the commentators and broadcast teams. I’m sure most of them prefer to be able to have a ‘home base’ (even if Sydney isn’t their actual home).