• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
While it was happening prior Covid really sped this up. Travel was more difficult and sports that went into bubbles only had a couple of reporters go with them. It’s not just sport, most radio shows these days have someone who’s in a separate location.

Don’t know their set up but you’d hope they are sitting there with 3/4 TVs covering the entire field and not just watching the same thing we are.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is common practice for most sports…

It’s just not Stan.
Yet I remenber when living in Aus , Foxtel almost always had commentary teams at games, remember Greg Martin quite often talking of being on red eye back from Perth etc. I know things change etc, just miss it a bit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yet I remenber when living in Aus , Foxtel almost always had commentary teams at games, remember Greg Martin quite often talking of being on red eye back from Perth etc. I know things change etc, just miss it a bit.

Whether it’s the Olympics, AFL, rugby or whatever… it’s likely now coming out of a studio in Sydney or Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
apples and oranges.

Foxtel could cover the games with one team of commentators because for 15 years they only had 3 Australian teams to cover, and at any point in time Foxtel was the host broadcaster for 1 or 2 or them, with the others been covered by SANZAAR partner broadcasters. Even when it expanded with the Rebels and Force, Foxtel rarely hosted broadcase of more then 2 or 3 aussie home games every weekend given the schedule of away games to RSA, Argentina and Japan. Greg Martin wasn’t flying back from Perth red-eye and covering an afternoon game the next day.

Under the current draw, playing 3 or 4 home games in Australia is a reguarly occurrence. Last year with the Drua playing home games in Australian it was even greater.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair, speaking to a couple of the Stan commentators they are actually travelling more than ever in 2023. More bodies involved per game, the likes of Mitchell, Horan, Turinui, Harrison & Maloney are at almost every game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair, speaking to a couple of the Stan commentators they are actually travelling more than ever in 2023. More bodies involved per game, the likes of Mitchell, Horan, Turinui, Harrison & Maloney are at almost every game.
Most of those guys seem like they’re in the studio more often than not?

No doubt there’s a bit of perception at play and the reality is that it’s spread out pretty evenly amongst the group.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most of those guys seem like they’re in the studio more often than not?

No doubt there’s a bit of perception at play and the reality is that it’s spread out pretty evenly amongst the group.
Morgs, Nick McCardle and Roz were at the ground in Sydney - not sure who did commentary as I was at the game just saw them down from my seat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Morgs, Nick McCardle and Roz were at the ground in Sydney - not sure who did commentary as I was at the game just saw them down from my seat
Swain was on the call. I’d say he was probably doing it from the ground being in Sydney. Horan was on the call as well and he was on field in the post match.

Mitchell, Harrison and Hoiles were at the Brumbies game as well this arvo.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And conversely, I think Stan has had Australian commentators on more overseas Wallabies tests than was previously the case. Mostly commentating from an Australian studio, but it's definitely an improvement on some of the local commentary in Sth Africa, etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can't say I've watched a lot of Force home games this season. Is not having the commentator there a regular occurrence or was it just this week?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Sounds about right
1684382444939.png