• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah thats a big loss. the old school proper rugby journos are slowly disappearing. Anyone know what happened? Seemed way too young..

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I live near the legend that is Jim Webster- still loves his club rugby when we chat. those blokes who were around the rugby scene in the 70s and 80s have some good stories. Life seemed a lot simpler back then.

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/new-zealand-open-to-nfl-style-draft-system-in-super-rugby-pacific
Draft System picking up steam but more importantly, the eligibility where New Zealand players would still be eligible for the All Blacks playing for any team in Super Rugby. This is hands down the easiest way to spread talent and make teams across the board more competitive. Along with the draft as a product that you can sell in future TV Rights deals and a boost in viewership due to less dead rubber games - this is something the NRL has done well with the spread of talent across the board.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m more then happy for Wallabies to play in NZ and All Blacks to play in Australia, it would actually give me a reason to watch kiwi games if there were a couple of Wallabies in the teams, currently i couldn’t really could not care less about a game like the the Hurricanes vs Highlander

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like this idea a lot. Would bring quite a bit of media attention as well in player signings.

Imagine if this was the case a few years ago and the Reds signed Aaron Smith. Suddenly there is interest in the Highlanders v Reds game there wasn’t before.

I’m less sold on the Draft idea at this stage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
this is something the NRL has done well with the spread of talent across the board.

All but one NRL Club is based on the east coast of Australia. Super Rugby has one in WA, four EC Aus, six NZ & one Fiji. Unless it's from/ to Blues to/ from Moana (or Chiefs at a stretch) changing Super Rugby team means at least moving to a different city. Easy enough for a young & single guy but not so much if you have a partner & less so again if there's children involved.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also unless it's 100% voluntary it wouldn't be legal in NZ, the teams can't even ring-fence 25 players from their catchment as used to happen in the early days of Super Rugby. Similarly they can't trade players without the player's permission.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
All but one NRL Club is based on the east coast of Australia. Super Rugby has one in WA, four EC Aus, six NZ & one Fiji. Unless it's from/ to Blues to/ from Moana (or Chiefs at a stretch) changing Super Rugby team means at least moving to a different city. Easy enough for a young & single guy but not so much if you have a partner & less so again if there's children involved.
Pours water on the idea of ‘Super players turning out for their clubs’ to improve grassroots as well - and just stuffs club alignment for players in general.

I imagine teams would also have to cover relocation costs for players, and probably up the remittance of the wider squad members to keep them from heading overseas to a club or their choice…

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Perhaps SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) could take some inspiration from College sports in the US. And I'm not referring to a draft as in you go where your drafted without much input. More the recent trend since the introduction of NIL payments. The transfer portal. This allows athletes to enter into a pool of athletes looking for opportunities at other Universities.

This would work with players opting to go into the 'draft' pool. Meaning they are open and willing to go to market for their value and accept that it may involve moving to Perth or Dunedin etc. But I do believe there needs to be a hard limit in terms of squad composition. Something like 75% of the game day squad has to be eligible for the nation that team is based. So out of the game day 23 that means 15-16 need to be Aus eligible for each of the Aus Super Rugby squads. Same for the NZ squads.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I’m more then happy for Wallabies to play in NZ and All Blacks to play in Australia, it would actually give me a reason to watch kiwi games if there were a couple of Wallabies in the teams, currently i couldn’t really care less about a game like the the Hurricanes vs Highlander
Would you watch it when your favourite Australian team has only a few Australians playing in their team?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we have open borders do the National Unions still get to mandate workloads for PONI? I can see problems either way. Let's say the incumbent AB 10 signs with the Rebels & he plays the first six games of the season, no. 7 is v the table-topping Blues (OK, Chiefs :)) & NZR lean on Rebels to sit him out. All hell would break loose. Conversely let's say Clan sign the incumbent Wobs 9, play him every week & he turns up at camp Wob physically & mentally drained. Again, all hell would break loose.

I no longer follow loig but when I did there was a strong perception/ suspicion that Kiwis-eligible players would suddenly require rest or surgery (or get suspended, but that's a whole other can of worms) immediately prior to a Kiwis team being named.

I'm open to the transfer portal mooted by @WorkingClassRugger above, but can see a fair few devils in the detail.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that's part of the issue, that's why the nationals need less power over the franchises, each franchise should be completely private and independent if we're serious about a proper commercial comp.