• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah a draft wont work, from what they’ve loosely mentioned it would be an opt-in concept…
Why would a player opt-in? That’s the difficulty in execution; but perhaps monetary reward or more playing time.

I’d also support the implementation of a short term loan market as well, especially for players outside the core 30* playing squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Would you watch it when your favourite Australian team has only a few Australians playing in their team?
Yeah I think I would. Teams go through players but I still go for the Team. Don’t think it affects many NRL teams whether they have other national team players or even state based. I know it’s a different comp but I don’t think it would be as dramatic as we think it would be.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah a draft wont work, from what they’ve loosely mentioned it would be an opt-in concept…
Why would a player opt-in? That’s the difficulty in execution; but perhaps monetary reward or more playing time.

I’d also support the implementation of a short term loan market as well, especially for players outside the core 30* playing squad.
Good concept. Imagine if the Reds were able to go to market for a Front Rower throughout the back end of the year for bench depth.

you’d have far more competitive teams at the important part of the season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I assume then we can pick Wallabies from NZ then and vice versa. I wonder who it benefits more? Probably NZ. I assume they have more NZ eligible players in Aus than we have over there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good concept. Imagine if the Reds were able to go to market for a Front Rower throughout the back end of the year for bench depth.

you’d have far more competitive teams at the important part of the season.

I mean a version of this has already been tested and proved in Super Rugby hasn’t it?

During COVID a large group of QPR and Shute players were placed into covid protocol pool and would allowed to be picked as emergency by any of the franchises.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that's part of the issue, that's why the nationals need less power over the franchises, each franchise should be completely private and independent if we're serious about a proper commercial comp.

Maybe that's where having both RUPA's represented on the Independent Commission could be beneficial.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I wouldn't mind a short term loan market either, not sure how well it would work, but wouldn't cause any probs as teams would only allow low end players on loan market anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well that's part of the issue, that's why the nationals need less power over the franchises, each franchise should be completely private and independent if we're serious about a proper commercial comp.
Yep but for that to happen, you could no longer have top ups for test players etc, and all money would have to be paid by the individual franchises.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep but for that to happen, you could no longer have top ups for test players etc, and all money would have to be paid by the individual franchises.
Sounds fantastic. Imagine how much revenue the Wallabies/All Blacks would have to spend on the grassroots without propping up the franchises. Maybe they'll concentrate on making the competition actually commercially viable and therefore it's a better product for viewers if it can't rely on the international game.

(they can still give them some cash, not $0, just less).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sounds fantastic. Imagine how much revenue the Wallabies/All Blacks would have to spend on the grassroots without propping up the franchises. Maybe they'll concentrate on making the competition actually commercially viable and therefore it's a better product for viewers if it can't rely on the international game.

(they can still give them some cash, not $0, just less).
No union is going to not have their test players under contract, unless they don't want a test team. And all test standard players would get a shit load more money overseas, without the top up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No union is going to not have their test players under contract, unless they don't want a test team. And all test standard players would get a shit load more money overseas, without the top up.
Well yeah, it's why the whole thing needs a complete redo (won't happen). A complete shift of focus. The early days might see 80% of the Test team come from overseas clubs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The kiwis would just manipulate it to make all 12 teams essentially all blacks feeder teams.
Look at the NRL.

16 Australian sides, 1 NZ-based side.

I don't know what the ratio of NZ players are to Aus players but I reckon it would lower than Aus rugby to NZ rugby in a Super comp (of free movement).

The Kiwis (whatever their league national side is called?) are right now probably more competitive with the Kangaroos than the Wallabies have been with the All Blacks.

It shouldn't be an issue (and it obviously wouldn't be 12 feeder teams). We just need the best competition.

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think the draft is being pushed by Australia for content for Private Equity purposes and more commercial revenue streams - agree it doesn’t work in theory. The eligibility would change the whole landscape of super rugby and instantly bring the comp back into relevance to make under performing teams in good markets relevant I.e Melbourne and Perth and feed some of the wallabies and all blacks talent back into Moana and the Drua.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Look at the NRL.

16 Australian sides, 1 NZ-based side.

I don't know what the ratio of NZ players are to Aus players but I reckon it would lower than Aus rugby to NZ rugby in a Super comp (of free movement).

The Kiwis (whatever their league national side is called?) are right now probably more competitive with the Kangaroos than the Wallabies have been with the All Blacks.

It shouldn't be an issue (and it obviously wouldn't be 12 feeder teams). We just need the best competition.
Yeah I was taking the piss a bit. A lot even. I think a draft is very risky, there would be a net outflow to other codes and/or countries. The draft works in AFL, NBA and NFL because the players don’t have anywhere else to go, they just have to accept their value.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
With minimal budgets and only 200 odd male professional rugby positions in Australia let's not reduce that dramatically by filling it with a number of New Zealanders.
That is so correct , it's not helping to create pathways for Aussie players. As well as fact I guessing they might have to pay more for kiwi players, so less to pay the Aus boys. No kiwi player wanting to make ABs is going to play for Aus team (even if he allowed to) as there will be a bit of reluctance to pick them anyway, and vice versa.
Anyone who has talked to a kiwi league supporter will hear how they all think the Kiwi players are used pretty heavily and get harsher treatment at judiciary going into test series , and will cry their players don't get fair go. Don't believe them as such and as I never watch or know any players (couldn't name more than 2-3 players) etc, just it not always as good as all seem to think. I am surprised that Aus teams haven't chased Argentina players etc.

Last edited: