• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not unusual, many competitions have long term or perpetual agreements on participation that exceed the current broadcast agreements.

SANZAAR have all agreed to Rugby Championship until 2025 which is longer then most broadcast agreements.
That's different though, they have certainty their comps will get a broadcaster and know their ball park cost ie. they know the current product sells and rates well. Stan took a complete gamble given where rugby was and it just got punted by Fox.

Like you said, TRC Tests will always rate plus some are on the anti-siphoning list so FTA have to show a Bledisloe?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's different though, they have certainty their comps will get a broadcaster and know their ball park cost ie. they know the current product sells and rates well. Stan took a complete gamble given where rugby was and it just got punted by Fox.

Like you said, TRC Tests will always rate plus some are on the anti-siphoning list so FTA have to show a Bledisloe?
It doesn’t change that an agreement on participation in a competition for ‘X years’ could be agreed upon though. Stan deal was for 3+2, what triggers the +2 is probably in confidence but an agreement on tournament would certainly be a key factor.

Otherwise it simply means that next year NZRU could turn around and say they’re implementing the Aratipu Review Recommendations and only want 2 Aussie teams from 2024.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do wonder how much does Stan come in to all of this, if the original broadcast deal takes them until 2024 then maybe there has been some talk in the background about after that.
The point is last Saturdays Final was not worth a lot to Stan when it was predominantly a NZ product, and with that unlikely to change drastically. Stan maybe more open to a domestic product regardless of the "so called" quality, they would get more content relevant to Australia. They would get a final every year etc,etc.

The issue that Rugby Australia have is they only have 5 teams, you would need at least 8 long term to make that work, so who funds that.

I don't think for a minute even if we go domestic, there would not be a level of crossover games/Champions league etc.

It is a no brainer long term, but how do you get there.
Problem I guess is Stan has oz rights for super rugby and sky has nz rights. As if had one broadcaster for rights for both nz and oz product you would surely put pressure on to improve the product. Stan’s product preferences important but as would be sky if looking at super rugby and any cross border competition (including champions league).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do wonder how much does Stan come in to all of this, if the original broadcast deal takes them until 2024 then maybe there has been some talk in the background about after that.
The point is last Saturdays Final was not worth a lot to Stan when it was predominantly a NZ product, and with that unlikely to change drastically. Stan maybe more open to a domestic product regardless of the "so called" quality, they would get more content relevant to Australia. They would get a final every year etc,etc.

The issue that Rugby Australia have is they only have 5 teams, you would need at least 8 long term to make that work, so who funds that.

I don't think for a minute even if we go domestic, there would not be a level of crossover games/Champions league etc.

It is a no brainer long term, but how do you get there.
‘No brainer long term, BUT HOW DO YOU GET THERE?’

Hmmm and that is the $64 question. To keeping short form (one round) super rugby AU may have been the stepping stone to get there. But alas no..is it maybe nrc 3 with existing super rugby franchises as the stepping stone or something else..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also keep in mind NZ were fiddling around with private equity so there was potential for exposure on a long-term deal.

They've effectively got a near-maximised market domestically, and with participation and eyeballs stagnating, and the only real area of growth in womens rugby (sound familiar?) they need to be very careful with their cash. Hence showpieces like the games in the USA which are purely cash cows.

We're in a position where we *could* grow the market in Australia if we had a bit of a think on how to actually do that. Yes the competition from other codes is fierce, but we're not really scratching the surface beyond getting more girls and women into the game (which other codes are also doing).

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Also keep in mind NZ were fiddling around with private equity so there was potential for exposure on a long-term deal.

They've effectively got a near-maximised market domestically, and with participation and eyeballs stagnating, and the only real area of growth in womens rugby (sound familiar?) they need to be very careful with their cash. Hence showpieces like the games in the USA which are purely cash cows.

We're in a position where we *could* grow the market in Australia if we had a bit of a think on how to actually do that. Yes the competition from other codes is fierce, but we're not really scratching the surface beyond getting more girls and women into the game (which other codes are also doing).

Great Point

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I fully agree with him and hope they go domestic.
giphy.gif

dru

Tim Horan (67)

This was actually a really good listen, before it I just thought this was really more just a bargaining postion (could still be). But you really get the sense that he is serious about it, and don't get me wrong I fully agree with him and hope they go domestic.

It is interesting. If NZ returns serve with a better deal it may well make going solo that much harder. Without it it seems domestic is a potential option. Happy with that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently we can vote on who the player cam will be on for the game against England, with it changing at half time. Pretty cool initiative.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Any thoughts on the broadcast last night?

I switched to the sky cam a few times and the player cam. Neither had any commentary but were set up to have very clear player sounds and referee microphone audio.

If they are going to allow these streams to have no commentary, then I wish they would have a game stream with just sound effects.

Sky cam seemed to move around a bit too much for me, it was always getting ready for the next time it was needed on the main broadcast, I was hoping it would be a "madden cam" where the camera was always a couple of metres behind play with most of the width of the filed in view.