• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The NRL clash is a stinker as well. The Panthers resting 12 starters against a fading Cowboys
Yep.. it’ll be interesting to see the ratings split this week. Be massive egg on their face if GEM pulls more then the Primary Nine channel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A even split on the horizon...

Sources close to both camps indicated the gathering was “positive” and “productive”, with a new long-term deal for Super Rugby likely within a couple of weeks.

Crucially, New Zealand appears to have softened its stance towards Australia’s demand for an even split of broadcast revenue, signifying a victory for RA. New Zealand seemed likely to reject a 10-year deal, however, with the final agreement likely to be for a shorter period.

McLennan and Marinos have argued that Australia’s future is looking brighter after scraping through the pandemic, winning the hosting rights to the 2027 Rugby World Cup and watching the performances of Australia’s Super Rugby teams improve. A British and Irish Lions tour in 2025 and a potential private equity partnership would also help RA wipe its debt and put something in the kitty.

They have demanded a return to the pre-pandemic principles of equal partnership that has underpinned the SANZAAR joint venture. A ‘keep what you catch’ policy that served both unions during the crisis is not the right foundation for trans-Tasman relations going forward, McLennan and Marinos believe.

If the Adelaide confab was a success and a deal is done on the basis of a 50-50 split of broadcast revenue, it likely means RA convinced NZR that its next deal would be substantially fatter than the current $33 million per year arrangement with Stan and Nine, publishers of this masthead. Sky Sport pays NZR closer to $100m.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Presumably just an even split of whatever revenue is generated by Super Rugby - not splitting the broadcast deals entirely. So a tenner each?
Isn't the broadcast revenue put into a pool and split currently, which is what the whole fuss is about? I'd assume it's an even split of all revenue, incl. broadcast

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Presumably just an even split of whatever revenue is generated by Super Rugby - not splitting the broadcast deals entirely. So a tenner each?
Isn't the broadcast revenue put into a pool and split currently, which is what the whole fuss is about? I'd assume it's an even split of all revenue, incl. broadcast

Edit: answer is in the article / Slim's post
If the Adelaide confab was a success and a deal is done on the basis of a 50-50 split of broadcast revenue, it likely means Rugby Australia convinced NZR that its next deal would be substantially fatter than the current $33 million per year arrangement with Stan and Nine, publishers of this masthead. Sky Sport pays NZR closer to $100m.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but Sky NZ would pay for NPC, Super Rugby, All Black tests in one payment (probably other things part of that deal too like 7s and Silver Ferns) NZRU would only want to share Super Rugby revenue, not NPC and All Black tests.

We're not getting 50mil of Sky Sport's payment to NZRU.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
This coming at a time when NZ rugby is in its poorest state for some period, while Aus seems to be gathering momentum, is quite telling

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, broadcast revenue generated by Super Rugby. Not ABs/Wobs (ie the vast majority of it).

I can't believe NZR would hand over All Black money to save Super Rugby.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes but Sky NZ would pay for NPC, Super Rugby, All Black tests in one payment. NZRU would only want to share Super Rugby revenue, not NPC and All Black tests.
Yes but that would've always been the deal? Likewise for Stan/9's coverage of QPR, SS and Wallabies.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, broadcast revenue generated by Super Rugby. Not ABs/Wobs (ie the vast majority of it).
Reckon a handful of tests across a year do bigger cumulative numbers than multiple games of Super per week, plus finals? Probably, but I reckon it'd be closer than expected. It'd be interesting to see the breakdown

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reckon a handful of tests across a year do bigger cumulative numbers than multiple games of Super per week, plus finals? Probably, but I reckon it'd be closer than expected. It'd be interesting to see the breakdown
Absofuckinglutely.

Super Rugby numbers are tiny.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes but Sky NZ would pay for NPC, Super Rugby, All Black tests in one payment (probably other things part of that deal too like 7s and Silver Ferns) NZRU would only want to share Super Rugby revenue, not NPC and All Black tests.

We're not getting 50mil of Sky Sport's payment to NZRU.
Yes, I think SA Rugby did a deal with their broadcaster where the payment for Super Rugby was small, but they paid a fortune for the Currie Cup. So SA Rugby only had to share a small portion of the rights, and kept the Currie Cup payment. Nice move. RA will need to keep an eye out for that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, I think SA Rugby did a deal with their broadcaster where the payment for Super Rugby was small, but they paid a fortune for the Currie Cup. So SA Rugby only had to share a small portion of the rights, and kept the Currie Cup payment. Nice move. Rugby Australia will need to keep an eye out for that.
I'm sure the numbers for each content were appropriate and not fudged at all....

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Absofuckinglutely.

Super Rugby numbers are tiny.
Cumulative total though? I'm not so sure. Really rough estimates/averages across both Super Rugby and Wallabies seasons - tried to use actual recent ratings as a rough guide:

91 Super Rugby regular season matches x ~100,000 = 9.1m
7 Super Rugby finals matches x ~200,000 = 1.4m
Total Super Rugby = 10.5m

9 Wallabies matches in 2022 x ~500k = 4.5m

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cumulative total though? I'm not so sure. Really rough estimates/averages across both Super Rugby and Wallabies seasons - tried to use actual recent ratings as a rough guide:

91 Super Rugby regular season matches x ~100,000 = 9.1m
7 Super Rugby finals matches x ~200,000 = 1.4m
Total Super Rugby = 10.5m

9 Wallabies matches in 2022 x ~500k = 4.5m
Look im no expert but historically Super Rugby has been a relatively small portion of a broadcast deal.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Look im no expert but historically Super Rugby has been a relatively small portion of a broadcast deal.
I agree, but you have to ask why that is. For 20 years they have treated the domestic market as some sort of optonal extra, so we should not really be surprised that it ratings are crap and there isn't much interest in it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree, but you have to ask why that is. For 20 years they have treated the domestic market as some sort of optonal extra, so we should not really be surprised that it ratings are crap and there isn't much interest in it.

It also makes the transition to something better, even something radical, comparatively easy. Speaking commercially.

I really hope that the NZR "giving in" to a 50/50 take (on a 50/50 comp) for the $2.50 component, does not in itself swing this back to a TT comp with no domestic champion. Fella's, don't forget measures to level the playing field.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure how true the report is. Seems there noone from RA there, and if it is true makes a person think who was not at so called meeting too make it work?? I would suggest if progress has been made as reported (grain of salt?) and was done by members of Waratahs and Brumbies board, it would suggest that perhaps the Aussie franchises are keen on comp staying? And just maybe there is a disconnect between them and RA. I kind of doubt that would be true, so as I say would wait and see someone a little bit more reliable than Georgina, or something a bit more official