• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Couple of points there half, I would absolutely bloody expect NZR is more concerned with NZ rugby than Australian rugby,and vise versa, the clue is in the name NZR and Rugby Australia.

And I genuinely think if media partners are want a NDC more than Super, the Rugby Australia is crazy even discussing super with NZR, obviously there would be more money going alone, and Rugby Australia's first and foremost job is to look after Australian rugby. If they not taking the options the bill payers want, you really need a new administration quite quickly, so you can get deal that media want, and hopefully get a better deal from them.

Lol, Stan/Nine have already endorsed RA in investigating options for going it alone if NZR aren't interested in an equitable deal.

Funnily SkyTVs Head of Commercial operations has encouraged NZR to investigste options to improve the competition and work with RA. Maybe NZR needs a new administration then, based on your comments above.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Theres a fine balance as the A-League is discovering, no this isn’t a COVID lockdown match, it was the local Melbourne derby between Macarthur and Western United last night.
I remember when people claimed Super Rugby was now the 4th code/league behind the A-League.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I remember when people claimed Super Rugby was now the 4th code/league behind the A-League.

Which I always found those people claims humorous and completed not grounded in reality. We are fourth if you take the BBL into account, if so, we're a solid 4th well ahead of the A-League who are realistically battling it out with the NBL for 7th/8th behind the NRLW/and Super Netball and WBBL.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lol, Stan/Nine have already endorsed Rugby Australia in investigating options for going it alone if NZR aren't interested in an equitable deal.

Funnily SkyTVs Head of Commercial operations has encouraged NZR to investigste options to improve the competition and work with Rugby Australia. Maybe NZR needs a new administration then, based on your comments above.
They certainly do if their partner says they need to change how they do things mate, no argument, I hadn't read that , all I saw was a new fella coming in who had been in AFL saying he would like transfer winows etc, but to be honest, it may of been reported more in Aus as I haven't seen it.
Same as I saw 9/Stan endorsing RA investigating options, I didn't realise that they had said they preferred NDC as half says. But I fully admit I haven't followed it much.as I not quite sure how it all works.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Oh yeah, could you imagine if A-league was on during winter, it would be even worse imo.

Likewise if Super Rugby was on now (for argument sake) I think crowds and ratings would massively increase.

I think that's why after playing with the idea of moving their season to directly compete with the other football codes they then backed out. Research probably suggested it would be even worse than at present. They've already had to reboot their coverage one year into their current deal. Not great but hardly surprising to anyone that's been paying attention and can take an objective view.

I actually agree regarding Super Rugby as well. I think that if we were to move our season to post-NRL/AFL we'd see a solid bump particularly if we focus on ensuring the game flows as it should.

Last edited:

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes, but in your biggest markets you need a presence every week. So for Rugby in NSW & QLD it has suffered just as much by lack of content.

Its pretty much the thinking of the Dolphins in the NRL, having a game every weekend in Brisbane.

Union has really suffered from lack of relevant content when it matters.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes, but n your biggest marekts you need a presence every week. So for Rugby in NSW & QLD it has suffered just as much by lack of content.

Its pretty much the thinking of the Dolphins in the NRL, having a game every weekend in Brisbane.

100% agree.. and that was always the biggest issue with South Africa, the teams would dissapear from coverage and broadcast friendly timeslots for weeks at a time

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
100% agree.. and that was always the biggest issue with South Africa, the teams would dissapear from coverage and broadcast friendly timeslots for weeks at a time
And enough relevant content, with Super Pacific you still only have 5 teams in your own marketplace.
So you only have 7/8 games in each market, it is ridiculous to think that that rugby will recover in NSW when you don't have a vehicle to drive that recovery.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
These things always start somewhere and in time everybody copies the new model.

The BBC announced they are closing all their FTA TV & Radio stations over the next decade with all broadcast going digital. Suppose to save them 100's of millions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, but in your biggest markets you need a presence every week. So for Rugby in NSW & QLD it has suffered just as much by lack of content.

Basically hoggy, wasn't that one of reasons quoted by NRL for no dropping team from Perth, timeslot not good for broadcasting. I sure I read that way back when it all was happening.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
These things always start somewhere and in time everybody copies the new model.

The BBC announced they are closing all their FTA TV & Radio stations over the next decade with all broadcast going digital. Suppose to save them 100's of millions.

This is no Suprise. People at first may freak out and think you are losing access but really you will be able to tailor what you want to watch when you want to watch it. Technology will look after finding it for you.

I know I have dramatically dropped off watching FTA TV over the last 3-4 years. The news every couple of nights is about it, otherwise I'm on Kayo, Netflix, Stan or YouTube. You stare at your phone all day anyway, so you pick up news and content differently.

Companies will love it as well because over time the ads you will get will be targeted to you and not just the entire audience. I have found a big drop off in FTA standard as well over the last couple of years. You are punishing yourself if you watch the NRL through FTA over the Fox League coverage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still millions who watch FTA and it remains core pillars of commercial networks, almost all the FTA online channels(9Go, 7Now etc) are growing significantly.

BBCs transition from terrestrial will likely be accelerated due to the different government funding model that exists in the UK.

No doubt terrestrial TV will disappear, but it’s only a medium for delivering the content, I don’t agree that FTA will disappear. It will remain in some form whether that’s online or terrestrial.

Even Kayo, a SVOD model has transitioned to offering ‘Freebies’ and Netflix is offering cheaper subscriptions now that also come with advertising.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I agree I don't think FTA will cease to exist, but I do think it will become the minor medium behind online/streaming platforms. Could it be in the next 10 years.... I tend to think 15-20 just like the change from Analogue TV to Digital. I think it is one of those things that will be generational. I tend to think people under 35 won't care about FTA as much.

The time it takes will depend on the progress of their online platforms which will be driven by desire for their content. the 7+ app is pretty shit, but you can still find everything. You can look at the US and how Amazon now has the rights to Thursday Night Football. It also opens up new content. Online streaming has allowed all the Club Rugby to be on STAN, School Boy and Subbies Rugby on Cluch

Last edited:

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I haven't watched FTA TV in about 10 years. If I do, it's off their streaming platforms for on-demand shows. We watch it so little that when we built our house last year, we didn't put a TV aerial in. All our watching is online these days.

Previously if there was something on, we'd tape it and watch it later - that way we could skip all the ads. No wonder the Beeb is going that path - it's not the end of the world for those who like FTA. It will just be consumed in a different format - streamed over the net. (And by making people sign up for their free accounts, the FTA channels know what people are watching - so I guess they can tailor what they offer).