• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like Mitchell, Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are hosting a new rugby pod alongside ‘The Professor’ (ex-Matty John’s show segment/comedian who was pulled from the show because he’s shit).

The three former players are all genuinely good mates, so I expect the dialogue and banter to flow quite well. But I wonder how critically they’ll examine the state of the game. Their first promo for the poddy features Eddie so it looks like they might be tied in with Rugby Australia itself in some way i.e. is it just a marketing exercise.
Really keen for this show, all part of the RE Engagement with the fans of Australian Rugby. All of the players can leverage their own profiles and like to hear the addition of The Professor as The Matty Johns show is the standard for a sports show.

Side note but I’m a huge NBA fan and I’m excited by the prospect of a free flowing “free agency” where all players in Super Rugby regardless of teams are eligible for their nations of choice (NZ included) - a “rookie draft” where players can enter and get assured salaries with two year deals with player options for a third, the worst teams getting the highest draft picks which gives a light at the end of the tunnel and reason to watch lesser teams and follow them as they develop.

Teams could protect retaining some local players by using a capped amount of priority tags prior to the draft if they choose too (if i’m The Reds I tag McReight and Wilson coming out of high school) If you want to stay in your home state, you don’t declare for the draft and miss out on an assured salary amount and can just be signed as an undrafted player for the minimum amount.

Ability to have trades in a window of time for teams to fill needs up until say 6 weeks into the year. More media products to sell for $$ and more ability to speak around the clock about rugby out of the regular season.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks like Mitchell, Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are hosting a new rugby pod alongside ‘The Professor’ (ex-Matty John’s show segment/comedian who was pulled from the show because he’s shit).

The three former players are all genuinely good mates, so I expect the dialogue and banter to flow quite well. But I wonder how critically they’ll examine the state of the game. Their first promo for the poddy features Eddie so it looks like they might be tied in with Rugby Australia itself in some way i.e. is it just a marketing exercise.
The professor is a genius. Hes not actually a comedian, he’s a television and radio producer that has been the brains behind a lot of successful shows including the footy show in its heyday, he launched the current Matty Johns show on Fox and pushed Fletch and Hindy. Has done work previously with rugby. I don’t think there would be many more people in Aus with a better sports tv show resume, especially when it comes to providing content for showing peoples personalities.

Will be interesting to see how this goes

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I am sure it would be popular but I would personally prefer to watch NRL than listen to weekly podcasts of Gits, Drew and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) together.
They can all provide quite good insight when interviewed but when together it goes the way of Kearns, Martin and Kaefer on the couch.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The professor is a genius. Hes not actually a comedian, he’s a television and radio producer that has been the brains behind a lot of successful shows including the footy show in its heyday, he launched the current Matty Johns show on Fox and pushed Fletch and Hindy. Has done work previously with rugby. I don’t think there would be many more people in Aus with a better sports tv show resume, especially when it comes to providing content for showing peoples personalities.

Will be interesting to see how this goes

That’s great for the Professor - doesn’t change the fact that I don’t think him as a media personality has been overly endearing. And either do the audiences it seems.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I am sure it would be popular but I would personally prefer to watch NRL than listen to weekly podcasts of Gits, Drew and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) together.
I agree.

Hopefully it can be a Rugby based podcast but have various guests. Don’t always need to talk footy with one of your mates you roomed with on a barbarians tour. Make it interesting and varied.

Probably too far that way for these guys but The Joe Marler Show is a funny listen from time to time. People would listen to that who wouldn’t care about Rugby in the slightest.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeah you were pretty much spot on - the conversation flows well, but it's mostly banter and sharing war stories at this point, with a few topical questions to Eddie thrown in; however, it was still a pretty enjoyable listen, so we'll see how it develops.

With Harvey Norman as the sponsor of the show, it definitely seems like RA is affiliated in some capacity. In saying this, it didn't feel overly produced and like certain topics were off limits. They were relatively loose on the language in parts too - just sounded like a few mates talking down at the pub.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, wasn't too bad. Will see how it goes from here. Eddie seemed pretty relaxed talking to them too

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's this whole firepower thing they're talking about where they didn't get money for playing for WF? By the time I was into rugby Mitchell was at the 'Tahs.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
What's this whole firepower thing they're talking about where they didn't get money for playing for WF? By the time I was into rugby Mitchell was at the 'Tahs.

A funny tweet that came up when googled too

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Was the main jersey sponsor from memory. Offered marquee players ALOT of money to go to the Force at inception but I think it was a pretty dodgy operation. You can google them and read about it. Forgetting a lot but players didn’t get all their cash I’m pretty sure.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

A funny tweet that came up when googled too
More I read and hear Drew Mitchel I think he offers a lot of value. He’s talking as a young man there but he’s pretty wise as lame as that can sound.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wow, surprised I haven't heard about this earlier. That's cooked. That he avoided jail time is a pretty fucked indictment of our white collar prosecution.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was the main jersey sponsor from memory. Offered marquee players ALOT of money to go to the Force at inception but I think it was a pretty dodgy operation. You can google them and read about it. Forgetting a lot but players didn’t get all their cash I’m pretty sure.

It was worse than that. Firepower were also the major sponsor of the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Sydney Kings (and the Firepower owner Johnston was a part owner of the Kings). A lot of players across many sports were also convinced to invest in the company as well (this included a whole lot of Adelaide Crows for some reason). So some players not only lost out on not being paid a big chunk of what they were owed but they were also fleeced of their own money.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So October Channel 9 will be broadcasting the Cricket and Rugby world Cups, I don't even want to know how badly they will F#ck this up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So October Channel 9 will be broadcasting the Cricket and Rugby world Cups, I don't even want to know how badly they will F#ck this up.
I'm sure the rugby coverage will all be run by the Stan team and should be fine. The combo might actually benefit Rugby thanks to cross promotion. There shouldn't be much in the way of clashes either, given the timezones involved.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Second ep of the GBRA podcast is up - picked up where they left off last week really. Pretty enjoyable and easy listening. Bonus points this week because Gits is sauced.

Interesting as well that they were the number one sports podcast in Aus last week, beating out the usual League heavyweights.