• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi

Frank Nicholson (4)
I really hope they give Zack Holmes a chance, as said by one reporter earlier this year could surprise everyone at this level

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, but he'd be better off using that as a runner, in the centres, or from fullback. I want a distributor at flyhalf, not a runner. Someone to get the ball to Henry Speight, so he can flatten more Waratahs next time we play them.

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
Tim Gavel is reporting that Fagan is considering signing another back to cover for injuries. I can't imagine there are that many floating around who don't already have a contract. Also, apparently we play Wales on 12 June (not sure if that had been announced previously or not).

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
smoke and mirrors from jake.
Bernie played Super Rugby last time 5 years ago, he would be mad to take a punt.
Don't need to get anyone else in (Giteau included).
Why don't we just use the ones we've got, as we've done all season long with good results.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In all reality, it's most probably just to take the attention away from Coleman or whoever is actually going to play 10 next week for as long as possible.

Rather than having the press ask Coleman (or whoever) about the pressure they will be under playing out of position, they can have Bernie make lighthearted jokes about the team not being able to afford enough strapping to get him ready for the game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure how I feel about this as I was never a fan...

As long as it's just a backup option...

Hewat tipped for ACT return

Chris Dutton

May 11, 2012

pw-hewbrumarticle_20120510192854909410-420x0.jpg

Super 14 Rugby Union at Aussie Stadium, Sydney. Waratahs V Highlanders. Image shows Waratahs Peter Hewat in for a try during the second half which brought the score to Waratahs 25 and Highlanders 26. Fairfax. 21 April 2007. Photo by Simon Alekna. 64141 Photo: Simon Alekna

Someone will be making a Super Rugby comeback five seasons after leaving the competition, but it won't be Wallabies great Stephen Larkham making a surprise appearance in the coming weeks.

The ACT Brumbies are on the verge of signing former NSW Waratahs point-scoring ace Peter Hewat to add experience to their back line for the remainder of the season.

The Canberra Times understands Hewat has agreed to join the Brumbies after Christian Lealiifano suffered a season-ending broken ankle last weekend.

However, the move is subject to a clearance from Hewat's Japanese club Suntory, approval from the ARU and whether the Brumbies can secure insurance for his stint in Canberra.

Hewat is 34 years old and despite playing just three seasons of Super Rugby, he is the second highest point-scorer in Waratahs history.

He was also the leading point-scorer in his debut season in 2005.

He left Australian rugby in 2007 to play in Europe before joining former Brumbies and Wallabies coach Eddie Jones at Suntory.

Brumbies coach Jake White told The Canberra Times on Wednesday he was considering luring Larkham out of retirement to fill the hole left by injured duo Lealiifano and Matt To'omua.

But Larkham backed Zack Holmes and Robbie Coleman to capably handle the playmaking duties and said he was not contemplating a comeback. It is understood White spoke with Hewat yesterday morning about joining his team.

Hewat emerged as the most likely recruit because he had played under Jones and White believes Suntory's style is similar to the way his team is playing.

Hewat began his career as a winger and fullback, but developed into a flyhalf while in Japan.

White is confident in his young flyhalves, but he also wants to add experience and depth to his roster with the Brumbies in a position to make the finals for the first time since 2004.

Hewat would add just that with three seasons of Super Rugby under his belt and stints with London Irish and Suntory. His goalkicking ability will also help ease the pain of losing Lealiifano, who was the team's first-choice kicker.

The Brumbies will return to training on Sunday after being given the past week off to rejuvenate.

They sit comfortably at the top of the Australian conference and will take on the Wellington Hurricanes in New Zealand next Friday night.

Should Hewat join the squad, he is still not guaranteed a spot in the Brumbies' starting XV.

Holmes and Coleman have both had stints at flyhalf in pre-season training and during the Super Rugby campaign.

Scrumhalf Nic White backed either to continue the Brumbies' impressive resurgence.

While Jake White had floated the idea of getting Larkham back on the field, Nic White said the World Cup-winning flyhalf would help accelerate the back line's development from the sideline.

''There's no hiding it that losing Christian is going to hurt us and what happens from now on will be interesting,'' Nic White said. ''Zack and Robbie both bring their strengths, they both play quite flat and like to take on the line so it's not like they're learning new plays, they'll know exactly what we want to do.

''Bernie [Larkham] has had such an impact on our back line this year and he's taking so many steps forward as our backs coach so I don't know if he would want to step away from that.

''He's known as one of the great flyhalves of all time but he's quickly becoming one of the best backs coaches around as well.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/hewat-tipped-for-act-return-20120510-1yg1h.html#ixzz1uTYyYbRp

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Now I was young when Hewitt was good and he scored trys so I obviously liked him (that's how a youngins mind works).

But I still don't understand the hate he gets, all levels of rugby have excellent attackers that are poor defenders and they excuse them to an extent.

Was there more to the story?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think this has anything to do with where Hewat will play, but more about adding a player with experience around those backs players. The amount of SupeRugby experience of those players wouldn't be too high. McCabe and Smith would be the most experienced and this is only their 3rd season I believe.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Apparently he's been a 10 in Japan.

and spent quite abit of time there in england for London Irish, where he topped the pointscoring for the henekin cup for a couple of years i think.

and he isnt a bad defender, for some reason (probably the tahs linespeed was too fast) whenever someone made a break, supporters would flood through to aid the ball carrier and rarely were their any tahs giving chase which often meant a 1 v 2-3-4 situation, pretty hard to defend. Remember him stopping Tuilangi in his tracks a couple of times when Australia played in the pacific cup back in the day, thats better than what any of the wallabies could do during the samoa test last year:(

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure, but the guy Tuqiri pushed on the field was Sam Norton-Knight in the game against the Force when the Tahs had a penalty on full time, scores tied and Norton-Knight took a quick tap.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
yeh i remember that. Pretty sure Tuquiri got busted talking shit about Hewit on some phone message that got released to the media.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeh i remember that. Pretty sure Tuquiri got busted talking shit about Hewit on some phone message that got released to the media.

That's right!

Copied and pasted from an old article..

Later that year, he apologised to Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor for putting a conversation on speaker-phone as O'Connor was being critical of Waratahs teammate Peter Hewat.

Status
Not open for further replies.