• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Are the Brumbies bringing a reputable side? Will the Cock make his Brumby debut in the Darwin trial.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
They're taking everyone and Jake White said earlier in pre-season that he would play his best side possible so they are ready to go when they play the Reds in round 1.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Definitely McCabe but haven't heard of any others at this stage.

When I see a team sheet, I'll stick it up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The highest level of rugby in the world (scrummaging wise and everything-else wise) is obviously International rugby. Playing international rugby would therefore improve your game the most.

Palmer is on the fringe of international rugby and it's perfectly possible at some point in the next 2 years he could become a consistent Wallaby starter.

So, how can anybody spin the BS that he's moving to France to improve his game? Sure, that might be a side consideration but the reality is Grenoble will pay him a shitload of money and there's plenty of Aussies at the club, so it'll be a very comfortable transition.

I have no problem with Palmer taking a solid paycheck instead of staying and seeing if he cuts it at Wallaby level but lets call a spade a spade. Seriously.
Regardless of where some of us see Palmer in the pecking order, he is no guarantee of playing regular test rugby. The standard of international rugby is irrelevant if he is not playing. There may well be other motivating factors behind his move to France but it is hardly and outrageous suggestion (or BS) that the move will improve his scrummaging.

There is a part of me which thinks we should encourage more of our young props to do 2 year stints there.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Extract from an interview with Rathbone from the Australian.

Now 31, Rathbone admits it has also been crucial to become more aware of the body's limitations.
"I can't speak highly enough of the program here and what Jake and Dean have created. It is something I believe is unique in rugby. I don't know of another set-up that could compare," he said.
"I know personally there is no way I could have completed a full pre-season at 100 per cent but I have been able to modify things with their help and guidance and I am in as good a shape as I have ever been.
"Obviously I am older and my body responds differently, but judging by my testing I am at least as fast if not faster than I was at my peak in my 20s."

May end up playing on the wing! All signs there for a good season for Clyde.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Sounds like Tomane is out as well, niggle injury. Is it related to the injury he had last year?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry to hear Palmer's heading overseas. Although the gravamen of his comments suggest that it was inorder to improve as a prop, rather than purely fiscal. I like that. I disagree with comments that say he would be better off in Australia improving his play around the field. Palmer doesn't need to become a Ben Alexandar type try scoring prop. It's unnecessary. He just needs to improve his work rate. He can do that in France whilst tweaking his scrummaging skills.

Lets hope he performs well up there and heads back to aus in 2015 for a shot at the World Cup. surely he will.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't see it. Lilo is very much suited to 10. Seeing as Lilo is the best 10 at the Brumbies, I don't think Jake would shift him about to accommodate other players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would agree, but apparently with McCabe most likely out for round one To'omua is going to play 10 with Lilo at 12.........

Last chance for To'omua?

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I didn't think To'omua played badly last year at all though? He wasn't around for long, but he was playing well before the injury.

It's not a bad problem to have. When you look at the team sheets for the Reds and Brumbies the first thing that comes to mind is not just the depth, but the quality in the depth of players available. It's not something any Australian teams have had since the relaunch of Super Rugby and while last year wasn't good results wise, there's an abundance of talent that was developed as a result.

Here's hoping the ARU and provinces do enough to maintain and build on that while fending off big offers from Japan, France and the like. The NZRU and SARU seem to be pretty reasonable at it...

P

Paradox

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Regardless of where some of us see Palmer in the pecking order, he is no guarantee of playing regular test rugby. The standard of international rugby is irrelevant if he is not playing. There may well be other motivating factors behind his move to France but it is hardly and outrageous suggestion (or BS) that the move will improve his scrummaging.

There is a part of me which thinks we should encourage more of our young props to do 2 year stints there.

I get what you're saying, he's not guaranteed but he's certainly there-abouts. He's one injury away from featuring in the 23 man international squads (that's if he doesn't rise up the pecking order, he can't be far behind Kepu).

Dan is a perfect French prop, offers plenty at scrum time. They won't care he is sub par around the park. I worry he'll come back with his strengths stronger and his weaknesses weaker.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think that's a great option. Always wanted him to play 13 in the past as his game suits it. As long as he works well in defence as his attack wont be questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.