• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He's 24. 3 years rolling around like a pig in shit in France, and he can come back at 27 and anchor our scrum for another half decade after that.

In the meantime, Benny A gets some serious time at tighthead, Rory Murphy gets a good crack at loosehead (where he was seriously good last year), and Scott Sio and Siliviliailaivilailiaiv gets some extra gametime.

Could be worse.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
He's 24. 3 years rolling around like a pig in shit in France, and he can come back at 27 and anchor our scrum for another half decade after that.

In the meantime, Benny A gets some serious time at tighthead, Rory Murphy gets a good crack at loosehead (where he was seriously good last year), and Scott Sio and Siliviliailaivilailiaiv gets some extra gametime.

Could be worse.

I think you had one too many 'S's in Siliviliailaivilailiaiv ;)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
With Palmer now gone, I expect the Beast, a du Plessis or Oosthuizen to be signed up in his place.

But on a serious note, Palmer didn't leave for the money and it's probably a good move to help him develop his game in an area that obviously others feel he is lacking. Just a shame it happened so soon and hopefully isn't lost to Australian Rugby.
Yeah, he can develop a running game like Benny A's when he's over in France.

Could be worse.
So Alexander plays full-time at tighthead this year?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
But on a serious note, Palmer didn't leave for the money and it's probably a good move to help him develop his game in an area that obviously others feel he is lacking.

Palmer's strength is his scummaging, as was proved in the Scotland test last year; his weakness is his mobility and play around the paddock. It's difficult to imagine how he's going to improve his non-scrummaging skills in European rugby on heavy grounds walking from set-piece to set-piece. If anything, Palmer NEEDED to stay in Australia to work on those other bits on firm grounds and in a more free-flowing style of rugby.

The Alexander/Palmer THP conundrum at the Ponies now shows up Dan's impatience for leaving the Tahs: another year in light blue and he would've stepped out of Baxter's shadow and had a clear run at the 3 jumper. And then it would've been Kepu or Ryan looking elsewhere for THP opportunities.

Let's hope he comes back to Oz in a year or twos time a better THP, and chooses his next Super side wisely. We still desperately need good THPs in Australia.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I think Palmer will still start, firstly the brumbies like any team will want their best scrum on the field to win quality ball for the backs. They knew hooper was leaving and still gave him a run.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Palmer's strength is his scummaging, as was proved in the Scotland test last year; his weakness is his mobility and play around the paddock. It's difficult to imagine how he's going to improve his non-scrummaging skills in European rugby on heavy grounds walking from set-piece to set-piece. If anything, Palmer NEEDED to stay in Australia to work on those other bits on firm grounds and in a more free-flowing style of rugby.

Yep. Should have shipped Alexander over to France instead to tone up his scrummaging.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be more sympathetic if Palmer had actually finished a season not in re-hab.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
correlation doesn't equal causation, things didn't change when he went to the ponies and completed their pre season
Very wise. So Palmer's recent foot injury, Palu's past hamstring problems, and Polata-Nau's concussions don't preclude them from being in the test side on merit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
no, if he can stay on the field he is a chance.

If, he can demonstrate enough of a work rate.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
the ACB publish a list of its contracted players can anyone tell me if the ARU does likewise as I am struggling to understand why the Brumbies will lose up and coming players vital to their continued success.
I would like to know how many props, wingers fullbacks ect we have contracted at national level and how the contracted players are spread amongst the 5 super teams. Surely this transparency is something the new commission should be delivering on.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The highest level of rugby in the world (scrummaging wise and everything-else wise) is obviously International rugby. Playing international rugby would therefore improve your game the most.

Palmer is on the fringe of international rugby and it's perfectly possible at some point in the next 2 years he could become a consistent Wallaby starter.

So, how can anybody spin the BS that he's moving to France to improve his game? Sure, that might be a side consideration but the reality is Grenoble will pay him a shitload of money and there's plenty of Aussies at the club, so it'll be a very comfortable transition.

I have no problem with Palmer taking a solid paycheck instead of staying and seeing if he cuts it at Wallaby level but lets call a spade a spade. Seriously.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I have no problem with Palmer taking a solid paycheck instead of staying and seeing if he cuts it at Wallaby level but lets call a spade a spade. Seriously.
I have no problem with that either what I want to know is if as reported the ARU were not interested in providing Palmer with a top up contract who have they provided them too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have no problem with that either what I want to know is if as reported the ARU were not interested in providing Palmer with a top up contract who have they provided them too.
The aru have lowered the top up contracts. I would assume that Alexander & Kepu are the two THPs with top ups.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Palmer's leaving had little to do with money.

So anyway, the first trial match is this Friday night in Darwin against the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.