• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would agree, but apparently with McCabe most likely out for round one To'omua is going to play 10 with Lilo at 12...

Last chance for To'omua?
I think it is worth trying To'omua at 10 for the trials. As the Brumbies don't really have a play making number 12 (apart from Lilo) it would give the Brumbies an extra option in attack being able to play To'omua and Lilo at the same time.
I would love to see this lineup. 9. White 10. To'omua 11. Tomane 12. Lilo 13. McCabe 14. Speight 15. Mogg

Although Mogg needs to improve his kicking game. Made to many simple mistakes last year kicking the ball out of hand. If Mogg doesn't work out I would putt McCabe to fullback and Rathbone into 13.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think it is worth trying To'omua at 10 for the trials. As the Brumbies don't really have a play making number 12 (apart from Lilo) it would give the Brumbies an extra option in attack being able to play To'omua and Lilo at the same time.
I would love to see this lineup. 9. White 10. To'omua 11. Tomane 12. Lilo 13. McCabe 14. Speight 15. Mogg

Although Mogg needs to improve his kicking game. Made to many simple mistakes last year kicking the ball out of hand. If Mogg doesn't work out I would putt McCabe to fullback and Rathbone into 13.

I think you are forgetting Robbie Coleman. He is a good play making No 12, but has probably played most of his rugby at 10 in the JID comp.

I like the prospect of Clyde playing 13, but if that doesn't turn out, I think Andrew Smith is a better option than Pat. Andrew had a particularly good year in 2012, and to my mind 15 is Pat's natural position. I am also very impressed with Kuridrani at 13. All in all, the Brumbies are very well served in the backline this year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
All you McCabe at fullback fans are forgetting that his kicking game is on par with Pocock's. His game from 15 is to run it back with gay abandon as hard as he can into the closest defender.

Mogg is our best man for 15, he's got the biggest boot, speed to burn, is an eusive runner and had a cracking season there. A few dodgy kicks and moments, sure, but you can make a fast car reliable, but its much harder to make a reliable car fast.

Brumbies best backline (from what we've seen so far) is

White
Lealiifano
Tomane
McCabe
Rathbone/Smith
Speight
Mogg

Lealiifano played his best games at 10, but was almost as good at 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://brumbies.com.au/News/Article/tabid/1213/ArticleID/8285/Default.aspx

Pat McCabe and Colby Fainga'a have landed in Alice Springs to spread their rugby knowledge through Central Australia.

Both players have committed to helping out with coaching clinics, signing sessions and community work over the next two days.

Over the last three years University of Canberra Brumbies players have travelled through regional areas of the Territory like Gove, the Tiwi Islands and Jabiru, but this is the first occasion the club has been represented in Alice Springs.

2013 has seen junior rugby re-launched in Alice Springs for the first time since 2005, with about 60 junior players now registered.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
"I don't see him as a 10 in our backline."

Could this be another "play Vaea rather that Hooper at 7 vs the Reds" decision by White

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
"I don't see him as a 10 in our backline."

Could this be another "play Vaea rather that Hooper at 7 vs the Reds" decision by White

I have nothing to base it on, but I reckon that White is probably listening to Larkham about the backline. My thoughts are that Bernie is telling him that To'omua is the better 10 and Lealiifano is more flexible.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have nothing to base it on, but I reckon that White is probably listening to Larkham about the backline. My thoughts are that Bernie is telling him that To'omua is the better 10 and Lealiifano is more flexible.

baffling, To'omua plays 10 as deep as Barnes with too much pass the parcel 10 m from the advantage line

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it really just comes down to the fact that Lilo can play 12 just as well as 10 and this is the best backline available with McCabe out,and you would expect that the only position open to McCabe in the team is in the midfield as he's not really a wing/fullback and those positions are covered by better players for those positions - Speight, Tomane, Mogg, Coleman.........

So I guess this is To'omua's chance to shine, and if he doesn't perform against the Reds then Lilo will go back to 10 and McCabe to 12.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Though I understand the reasons I was surprised by Jake's comments given how well Christian was playing the position before he was injured last year.

On the other hand Jake has coached a team that won a Rugby World Cup. He may have a tendency to know what he is doing.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Though I understand the reasons I was surprised by Jake's comments given how well Christian was playing the position before he was injured last year.

On the other hand Jake has coached a team that won a Rugby World Cup. He may have a tendency to know what he is doing.

Agreed. Also, despite popular option Vaea went okay at 7 and I don't think it was a bad experiment.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Agreed. Also, despite popular option Vaea went okay at 7 and I don't think it was a bad experiment.

Ita is a very good player but not a fetcher 7. My recollection of the Reds game last year when he played 7 is that the Reds by playing two fetchers completely dominated possession, which directly led to them taking the bickies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ita is a very good player but not a fetcher 7. My recollection of the Reds game last year when he played 7 is that the Reds by playing two fetchers completely dominated possession, which directly led to them taking the bickies.

If the backs defend out to in off the set piece a big bopper 7 is very effective, they don't fetch at the breakdown but they offer their own kind of impact.

Plenty of teams play a fetcher 7 and a big 6 but run the 6 on the open side defensively half the time, armchair fans just don't take notice.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the latest Crimes article McCabe won't be returning until around Round 4.........

So I think his comments can certainly be put into a context where he wants to field his best possible backline that's missing its first choice inside centre, while also not wanting to undermine To'omua's position at flyhalf.

I think if McCabe had been fit for Round 1 we most likely would've seen the same backline as last year with Lilo at flyhalf........

Status
Not open for further replies.