• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
'Family reasons' is PR speak for 'to make more money'. Would have been nice to see him hang around and push to retain his spot and hold onto the captaincy. Who knows what injuries or form will come up in 2014. The sceptic in me doesn't like the fact that he is taking the cash after his first breakout Wallaby season.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that was my first feeling as well. The SMH article states that the negotiations for the ARU top-up were halted after the decision, but I'm wondering whether it was the other way around. Even so, it doesn't make much difference to the outcome if the ARU couldn't offer the top-up. Just a shame, as he seems like a steady head that fit well with what Ewen was aiming to acheive.

With Pocock to come back, the impact of Mowen leaving in terms of leadership probably won't be felt that much for both Brums and Wallabies

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I cannot help but wonder if the emergence of Fardy as a wallaby 6 and with the return of higgers and palu this year has made the decision easier.

It certainly makes future selection debates easier, but a full strength Wallabies pack is a rare beast......... and despite him not necessarily being in most fans XV he potentially could've gone on to play more tests than the perennially injured favourites..........

Where I think it will sting the Wallabies though is in the line out, as we were pretty dominant under Mowen this year..........

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It certainly makes future selection debates easier, but a full strength Wallabies pack is a rare beast... and despite him not necessarily being in most fans XV he potentially could've gone on to play more tests than the perennially injured favourites....

Where I think it will sting the Wallabies though is in the line out, as we were pretty dominant under Mowen this year....

Your right there. He's a master at the lineout

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also think that the injury that he has carried this year might have made the decision easier for him. Maybe made him realise that it can all so easierly be taken away.

Will be sad to see him go but good luck to him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's a pretty different lifestyle though. He'll travel for matches but will be home for most of every week and home for the entirety of every week with a home game.

Compare that to having two week tours of South Africa and NZ during Super Rugby and trips to SA and Argentina during TRC followed by a five or so week tour of Europe at the end of the season.

More money could certainly be a major reason for the move, but I also think it is unfair to disregard the fact that he will get to spend a whole lot more time with his wife and daughter.

I hadn't read the article about this before commenting which has changed my opinion a little. He has been a great servant of Aus rugby and I hope no one thinks this is me questioning his character.

Best of luck to him, it is just a shame and I think a mistake. McKenzie doesn't seem like a person that would drop a popular captain for a tour if that guy is not going to be apart of future plans. Two more seasons of travel and he could have captained the Wallabies to a RWC then called it a day.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Seems like a bizarre decision. After all the work he's put in over the years he finally reaches the ultimate level for a professional rugby and decides it's not for him a year out from a world cup? I just wonder whether he will regret letting go such a unique opportunity later in life. Good luck to him anyway.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Should we have a separate thread to discuss Mowen? It's a pretty big deal, the incumbent Wallaby captain heading overseas after the Super Rugby season. Maybe we can move the Ben Mowen posts into their own thread? Mods?

Oh, and good luck to him too. He persevered and got his first test cap this year at 28, and then became the captain for a successful EOYT. Hope he gets some big money and the lifestyle he wants for his family.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am sorry to see him go.

He did pretty well this year for Australia and has been a rock for the brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should we have a separate thread to discuss Mowen? It's a pretty big deal, the incumbent Wallaby captain heading overseas after the Super Rugby season. Maybe we can move the Ben Mowen posts into their own thread? Mods?

Only if the thread is framed in the appropriate way.

What about:

Could Quade Cooper be the next Wallaby Captain? - Ben Mowen heads to France.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
'Family reasons' is PR speak for 'to make more money'. Would have been nice to see him hang around and push to retain his spot and hold onto the captaincy. Who knows what injuries or form will come up in 2014. The sceptic in me doesn't like the fact that he is taking the cash after his first breakout Wallaby season.

Maybe an ARU top up might have avoided this move?

T

TOCC

I believe the ARU were negotiating a top-up with him when he made his decision, maybe it wasn't as much as he would have liked.

I'n in a job where I spend 4-6months overseas straight without seeing family each year, and I can sympathise with him about missing family and at some point in your life you need to make a decision which may see you sacrifice some aspects of your career to benefit your family. It doesn't always have to be about money, although money does help ease some of the pain lol.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having just heard from the man himself, the 'family reasons' are legitimate. He has a young daughter and in the last year spent upwards of 5 months in hotel rooms around the world.

As great as technology is, watching your child achieve a milestone with your own eyes is infinitely better than watching it occur on Skype etc. Add in that after the Super Rugby final in New Zealand the Brumbies plane was delayed overnight meaning that when he eventually got back to Canberra, he had about 45 minutes to dump off his Brumbies kit, spend time with the family and then head back to the airport.

He thought he could handle the travel aspect and had been in contact with Ewen McKenzie since the Spring tour but time at home over Christmas/New Years made up his mind

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I believe the ARU were negotiating a top-up with him when he made his decision, maybe it wasn't as much as he would have liked.

I'n in a job where I spend 4-6months overseas straight without seeing family each year, and I can sympathise with him about missing family and at some point in your life you need to make a decision which may see you sacrifice some aspects of your career to benefit your family. It doesn't always have to be about money, although money does help ease some of the pain lol.

Yes. Having met Ben and spoken at some length with him a couple of years ago, I have no doubts about the veracity of his reasons for going. He is a straight shooter and a very level headed gentleman. I wish him and his family all the best from this new adventure. Hope he leaves with the 2014 Super title under his belt.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Only if the thread is framed in the appropriate way.

What about:

Could Quade Cooper be the next Wallaby Captain? - Ben Mowen heads to France.

Don't think so. Reckon Horwill (rightfully or wrongly) will be reinstated. If he is not then look for a long term smokey being appointed (so that probably precludes Poey)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mowen's reasons are credible and well verbalised.

Like all things I am sure there are other reasons probably not as palatable to the Rugby Gods or us mere mortals and I congratulate him on saying the right thing.

The bloke has been great for the Brums, good for the Wallabies, and excellant for ACT Rugby. Has performed to and at the highest level through adversity.

His contribution should be publicly acknowledged.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I wish him all the best... great guy, great leader... he wont be forgotten, first season as a Wallaby and ended up as an inspirational Wallabies captain wow!!!... he has shown great leadership with the Brumbies too...

He made the right call, he has a beautiful wife and child and wishes to be there for them both. It is easy to loose your closest relationships when you're away all the time, its a lot easier than people realise...

He'll be remembered as a guy who never gave up on his dream to be a Wallaby and became captain in the hardest of times and helped turn a lost team around then chose love... A wise man...

"You can have everything just not all at the same time", he understands this message...

He has my respect... I look forward to watching him play for the Brumbies this year... Good luck Ben... you're already a winner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.