• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It might happen, but I will be very disappointed if it does. I see no problem for the Brumbies nor the Wallabies if both Sio and Ala'alatoa remain on the LH side. Reserve props these days play almost as many minutes as he starters. It is imperative that every side has two good and reliable options on both sides. Up to the coaches of all teams to develop THPs who are up to the standard required, luckily with the help of Ledesma.

The worst move in the front row in recent history was Ben Alexander to the TH side. From battling with Benn Robinson for the starting LH spot, he certainly became one of the most capped THPs for Australia, but never to the satisfaction of the majority of fans and scribes. I wouldn't want to see a similar situation arise with either Sio or Ala'alatoa.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can we now please put to bed the notion of moving either Sio or Ala'alatoa to THP. The Brumbies' 'finishing' front row is arguably as good as the starting one, and that's just how it should be. And I think Benny A and Les Leulua’iali’i-Makin have amply demonstrated in the two games this year that there is no lacking for good THPs at the Brumbies.

Reactions: mst

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Can we now please put to bed the notion of moving either Sio or Ala'alatoa to THP. The Brumbies' 'finishing' front row is arguably as good as the starting one, and that's just how it should be. And I think Benny A and Les Leulua’iali’i-Makin have amply demonstrated in the two games this year that there is no lacking for good THPs at the Brumbies.

Totally agree. It's a totally different ball park changing sides of the scrum and props know it. Sio will definitely not change sides as he has next to no scrummaging experience at THP. Allan has had that experience but changed to LHP to cater for his work around the park. Both players will want to stay at LHP for at least the next few seasons.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Hopefully having Cubelli and Mathewson as starting halfbacks doesn't last beyond this year.

It isn't good for Australian rugby to have two franchises starting foreign halfbacks.

Yep could see the giteau rule applied again soon... back asa brumbies fan pleased with Cubelli joining the team...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ita Vaea had a dislocated finger the other night and has required surgery.
He will miss the Force game and 50/50 to go to South Africa.

Expect Jarrad Butler or Jordan Smiler to take his place.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, which locks do we try and keep on the books?

Enever was solid last year when Arnold got injured, and is a decent lineout operator...........

But Staniforth just had a blinder off the bench and looked good in the trials.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So, which locks do we try and keep on the books?

Enever was solid last year when Arnold got injured, and is a decent lineout operator.....

But Staniforth just had a blinder off the bench and looked good in the trials.

Keep the status quo - we have had the same locks for the last two years so no need to change. Rest and rotate and use Smiler as more of a utility player,

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I probably should've expanded that further.........

There's no way we can hang onto Carter, Arnold, Enever and Staniforth for too long..........

The coaching staff will likely have to make a decision about who to keep long term..........

At the moment we're spoiled for choice.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Being optimistic I think we can keep them all long term. I figure Fardy will at some point want a stint in Japan and a refresh to give him some longevity for RWC2019 and he can also play other positions. Arnold you need to be careful not to overwork with his frame as he is susceptible to back issues (already suffered) and you need three locks per game realistically. So having 4 on the books is not an unrealistic option, its just if you can balance them out and give them quality game time they want.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Being optimistic I think we can keep them all long term. I figure Fardy will at some point want a stint in Japan and a refresh to give him some longevity for RWC2019 and he can also play other positions. Arnold you need to be careful not to overwork with his frame as he is susceptible to back issues (already suffered) and you need three locks per game realistically. So having 4 on the books is not an unrealistic option, its just if you can balance them out and give them quality game time they want.

But these guys will want to be starters, and it's natural to look for chances to do that. These days, hard to keep 4 guys like that on a roster for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.