• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't know enough about the rest of squad but here's a NZ born heavy backline for 2023.

White, Sapsford, Lolesio, Feauai-Sautia, Ikitau, Wright, Debreczeni.

Subs: Lonergan, Creighton, Meredith.

Not sure what you mean by a NZ-born backline. White, Wright, Lonergan, Creighton and Meredith all born and bred Aussies I believe. Not sure about Jack Debreczini too. But there definitely is a NZ flavour to the Brumbies with Jahrome Brown, Sefa Kautai and maybe Fred Kaihua in addition to the four backs with NZ background.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Lolesio, Feauai-Sautia, Debreczeni, Tua, Sapsford, also Simone was born in Auckland.
Whilst all technically correct, of those, Tua, Sapsford and Simone are really the ones I'd consider Kiwi.

Lolesio and CFS grew up in Qld I believe and have spent most of their lives in Australia. Debreczeni likewise I believe moved over here pretty young to Sydney playing school boys for Trinity so I'm not sure what affinity he'd have for NZ any more than the rest of his heritage (or CFS would have for his Samoan heritage).

It does make me ponder if having a Kiwi parent has any influence on boys (and/or girls) selecting Rugby over other sporting pursuits. ie. Football (Soccer), AFL, Rugby League etc.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Gotta love that. Your Captain signs on long term before the World Cup.

Only 28 which surprised me actually. I guess he's looked 30 since he was 20. He'll be up there in caps by the end of that contract barring injury and form obviously.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Smart by him. Puts him as a frontrunner for the Wallabies captaincy.

It is a wonderful signing. But length of a contract doesn't determine captaincy credentials. He is a leading candidate thats for sure, but the issue he plays the same spot as someone who will clearly be one of Eddie's project players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is a wonderful signing. But length of a contract doesn't determine captaincy credentials. He is a leading candidate thats for sure, but the issue he plays the same spot as someone who will clearly be one of Eddie's project players.

Add:
x pisses off refs when we surely want to get more disciplined
x hot headed under pressure
x most unacceptable un-Australian response to the face slap - noting that apparently playing in an "Australian way" is a big issue

White may well be on the list of possible captains, clearly it isn't something I have a vote on, but for me I'd place leadership suitability as waaaay higher for both Tate and Gordon.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Add:
x pisses off refs when we surely want to get more disciplined
x hot headed under pressure
x most unacceptable un-Australian response to the face slap - noting that apparently playing in an "Australian way" is a big issue

White may well be on the list of possible captains, clearly it isn't something I have a vote on, but for me I'd place leadership suitability as waaaay higher for both Tate and Gordon.
We’re talking about 7 A’s

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Allan Ala'alatoa joined the Brumbies in 2013. Debuted in 2014. Has signed a contract extension, or new contract, for 4 years following the 2023 season. That is pure loyalty to a club by an outstanding individual.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tupou? Seems Tupou will be lucky to make it back in time for the RWC. Be hard to see him displacing 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) with no shot at Super Rugby and little fitness. Wouldn't count that against 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) captaincy credentials for the year.

Longer term, yeah.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Being one of "Eddies's" project players is wonderful but doenst guarantee game time or selection either.

I would guess to be a project player you just need to be near the Wallibies.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
An Argie is training with the extended Brumbies squad, Pedro Rolando:
20230126-014000.jpg

Nobody knows him in Argentina, he's 33, plays as halfback and is from a tiny rugby club from a low level competition (San Patricio).

He played for Canberra Royals, Vikings and Brumbies South. He's too old to start a professional career. Is he a medical joker or something like that?