• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately the Crimes is paywalled, so can't get any information on the specifics except its' supposedly a significant multi-year deal...

From the Brumbies release:

Safeguard Global’s Founder and CEO, Bjorn Reynolds, is a life-long fan of rugby and is committed to the introduction of rugby to the USA, with Safeguard Global also partnering with the USA Eagles.

Safeguard Global ACT Brumbies CEO, Phil Thomson said: “This is a truly momentous day for the Safeguard Global ACT Brumbies, and we’re honoured to welcome Bjorn and his company to the Brumbies family.”

“We believe this is just the beginning of a long and prosperous partnership, and having an engaged partner like Safeguard Global, who love the game of rugby as much as we do, can only lead to great things for both our club and Safeguard Global alike.

“We’re looking forward to welcoming Bjorn here to Canberra for our first home game against the Queensland Reds at GIO Stadium on March 11.”

Bjorn Reynolds said: “Safeguard Global is proud to partner with Australia’s most successful Super Rugby team in what we view as the start of a long and mutually beneficial partnership. On a personal note, as someone who loves the sport, to have our company name sit side by side with the ACT Brumbies is truly an honour.”

“The game of rugby and its values have always been important to me and our company, and for us, the ACT Brumbies are one of the best representatives of those values you will find. “

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately the Crimes is paywalled, so can't get any information on the specifics except its' supposedly a significant multi-year deal...

From the Brumbies release:
"Texas-based employment services company Safeguard Global will be unveiled as the club's new front-of-jersey partner on Wednesday after agreeing to a deal with the men's and women's teams until at least the end of 2025." from the crimes

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting to compare Pete and Rob in this photo.

Without the hair, I'd say they are both around the same height, and they look to be of similar weight too (though obviously that is harder to judge from a photo).

According to published stats, Pete is listed at 185cm and 102Kg, while Rob is 193cm and 113kg. I think the evidence is that they are very similar and Pete is probably taller and heavier than listed, and probably noticeably bigger in both respects than Michael Hooper who is listed as 182cm and 101kg.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Without the hair, I'd say they are both around the same height, and they look to be of similar weight too (though obviously that is harder to judge from a photo).

According to published stats, Pete is listed at 185cm and 102Kg, while Rob is 193cm and 113kg. I think the evidence is that they are very similar and Pete is probably taller and heavier than listed, and probably noticeably bigger in both respects than Michael Hooper who is listed as 182cm and 101kg.
Rob plays way heavier than Pete.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

BR, look at it again.
1. Valetini is physically standing behind Samu. That's always going to make Samu look bigger. You always put the tallest at the back of a photo.
2. Line up their ears (or noses) to the wall slats behind. Ignoring the standing in front issue, Valetini is easily taller.

Your heights noted above give about a 3" height difference - the photo is consistent with that. Weight follows from there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR, look at it again.
1. Valetini is physically standing behind Samu. That's always going to make Samu look bigger. You always put the tallest at the back of a photo.
2. Line up their ears (or noses) to the wall slats behind. Ignoring the standing in front issue, Valetini is easily taller.

Your heights noted above give about a 3" height difference - the photo is consistent with that. Weight follows from there.
Dru, there are other pics on Facebook and on the Brumbies website. Pete is standing slightly in front of Rob, but they are both at a diagonal angle to the front-on photo shot. There is very little difference imo in the distance each is from the wall at the back. I'll have to disagree with you and the stats at this time, I think.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
BR, look at it again.

I dunno. I think the photo definitely shows Samu is better than Hooper.

Sorry, I mean nearly as tall as Valetini.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dunno. I think the photo definitely shows Samu is better than Hooper.

Sorry, I mean nearly as tall as Valetini.
Neither are as thick as the bulked up Gamble though, nor do they have a moustache.

Reactions: TSR

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Neither are as thick as the bulked up Gamble though, nor do they have a moustache.
CD78CA8D-E2D2-45AA-8ABE-88A340C88682.jpeg

Hmm, there's something under Samu's nose above his mouth...
I will concede Rob's is part of a beard.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Crimes is reading like Lolesio is still the first choice and that Larkham will be playing him at 10 unless he picks up an injury

Larkham has made it his project to develop Lolesio and has been impressed with the youngster's commitment since his return to pre-season on January 16.
"We've been looking at video footage of training and reviewing some games from last year," Larkham said at Wednesday's Super Rugby season launch. "Then we've been working with him on the training paddock, which there's only been a small opportunity so far.
"Noah was disappointed last year, being in and out of the (Wallabies) team, not really getting a consistent run and not finding that combination that he needed to find on the field.
"The challenge will be to try give him consistent game time. That, for any young player is the most important aspect in terms of their development, making sure they get consistent game time."

This season could be a blessing for Noah's development and ability to control with Simone having moved on. Is Tua much of a ball player?

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
Canberra Times has reported that Ben O'D, Tom Hooper, Pollard, Ed Kennedy and Hudson Creighton will likely miss the Tahs game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Canberra Times has reported that Ben O'D, Tom Hooper, Pollard, Ed Kennedy and Hudson Creighton will likely miss the Tahs game.
Tom Hooper will be missed. The rest, in my view, are well covered by the alternatives in the squad. Pity a couple of locks weren't on that list.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tom Hooper will be missed. The rest, in my view, are well covered by the alternatives in the squad. Pity a couple of locks weren't on that list.
Well half the season last year we had Valentini 6 Brown 7 Samu 8 which is what they may have started with anyway. I think we are covered for our backrow as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anybody know if and when the Brumbies will be updating their website to show the current squad? Still shows the players from last year who have since left, while new faces aren't there at all.