• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed. Ikitau is a rock at both the wallabies and Brumbies. He is basically the Australian version of Conrad Smith in that he is a critical clog in the backline which is often under-looked.

Although I do love the potential of Petaia at 13 or Perese, but Petaia lacks experience at 13 and Perese has his obvious weaknesses to work on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Long-term will be interesting to see what happens at 12 here at the Brumbies. If he can form a solid combination with Ikitau, would be an advantage come wallabies selection.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What is everyone's thoughts on Tua? I haven't been that impressed so far. Simone was such a huge loss to us
Hard to come into someone's spot who was playing arguably career best footy and Test footy.

It's definitely the thinnest position in the Brumbies squad but if he can be defensively solid and do the little things to let other play then he's done his job IMO.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Long-term will be interesting to see what happens at 12 here at the Brumbies. If he can form a solid combination with Ikitau, would be an advantage come wallabies selection.
Brumbies should be throwing their hat in the ring against the Rebels (13 for Hodge) and Force (13 for anyone...) in for Tuipolotu (12 for Tua). Best available 12/13 prospect on the domestic market.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The No 12 spot is not as critical this year as last. Irae Simone was our second playmaker and was instrumental in initiating a lot of moves in attack. This year, the Brumbies are using Tom Wright as the second playmaker from the 15 spot, and he's doing a very impressive job of it. The No 12 needs to be first and foremost an instrument to hit the advantage line and get on the front foot off set play, a role shared with Rob Valetini at the Brumbies.

I like the 10/15 two playmaker game in preference to the 10/12. The 15 has more options and a better landscape view of the field and the positioning of opposition defences than the 12 who is really more an adjunct to the 10. Wright has been very effective in inserting himself into the backline when and where it can make a difference. This was the setup I thought Larkham might go with to make a difference to the way they played under MacKellar, just that I thought Debreczini would fill the 15 role. But I'm very happy with the way Tom Wright has been performing.

I think there is very little to choose between Tua and Sapsford for the 12 spot. They can both perform there adequately and their stats seem to be very similar in the game against Moana where they shared that duty.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like Wrights playmaking abilities at the back too, he's a solid distributor with good vision. But man, his decision-making still lets him down, he's takes the risky option far too often, his choice to run on his own from the back often puts the team under pressure when it doesn't come off.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I like Wrights playmaking abilities at the back too, he's a solid distributor with good vision. But man, his decision-making still lets him down, he's takes the risky option far too often, his choice to run on his own from the back often puts the team under pressure when it doesn't come off.
Yeah his playmaking has improved. That decision making though, errors are magnified at test level

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

It’s easier to make a fast car reliable, than make a reliable car faster.

The brain farts will fade away as he gets more experience in the role

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I'm not sure that's true regarding Cars but I get it re a Rugby player.

He's been better than expected at Fullback for the Brumbies but it still scares me in Gold even though he may end up being the best option. Yet to see Kellaway, Hodge has been good at 13 and Petaia probably the next best but has been hot & cold.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

This is not always the case though. I hope you are correct but my feeling is that there are no signs of this. All the other areas of his game have increased but the decision-making/errors don't seem to be trending the same way.

I would still take Banks over him any day of the week and on current form I would even prefer Petaia at 15 for the wallabies.

Still early days though. Got a whole season to be proven wrong.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
This is not always the case though. I hope you are correct but my feeling is that there are no signs of this. All the other areas of his game have increased but the decision-making/errors don't seem to be trending the same way.

I would still take Banks over him any day of the week and on current form I would even prefer Petaia at 15 for the wallabies.

Still early days though. Got a whole season to be proven wrong.
He seems to have stepped away from the petty pushy/shovey stuff this year. That’s a step in the right direction. Hopefully he’ll review his game on where he gets the ball deep and improve on his option taking. His chiming in on attack and being the second playmaker is generally good and effective.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I were a Brumby selector, I'd be looking at the final 4 games and player selections in a strategic sense to give the best chance of retaining a spot in the top 2 on the ladder.

First up, I reckon Rob Valetini is due for a break. He has played a lot of games at a pace and with collisions very few others experience. But we need him to be up for the chiefs game as I hope the Brumbies put out their strongest team for that game in an effort to haul back some of the lead on the ladder. Therefore, I would be looking at either a rest or a bench spot for Rob against the Force in Perth.

That brings us to his replacement. It needs to be someone who can perform the power hit up role Rob has been playing. Tamati Tua does a bit of this at 12 but another hard hitter will be required when Rob is off the field. That would be Tom Hooper imo. Tom therefore needs to get as much game time as he can against the Clan to get him fit for the role. Off the bench still I think, but on the ground with at least 30 minutes to play.

James Slipper is another who would probably gain from a rest too. I would be planning to use him along the lines of Valetini described above. Rest on the bench for a good part of the game against the Force with Blake Schoupp getting the start.

Tom Wright is the other one who has put in a lot of time this year on the field. It might be an option to rest him against the Force with Jack Debreczini taking on that role. The second play making skills of Wright at 15 have been a real success this year, and I see Debreczini performing a similar role from the back. This might require Noah Lolesio to play a full 80 minutes but JD can still fill in at 10 if needed. Just need a proper 15 replacement on the bench- maybe Tom or Declan Meredith.

Otherwise, pick the best and strongest players for the four games to come. Neville back in place of Swain. Sefo Kautai on the bench for Allan Ala'alatoa. Blake Schoupp on the bench behind Slipper.

Important to get three wins from the last four, and a win against the Chiefs and Rebels in the last two would be a great leg up to the finals.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

Holy hell, those Hawaiian shirts are awesome! I would absolutely buy a standard Hawaiian one if it were available in my size. I will however consider the hibiscus one.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Holy hell, those Hawaiian shirts are awesome! I would absolutely buy a standard Hawaiian one if it were available in my size. I will however consider the hibiscus one.
What on earth does Hawaii have in common with the ACT????

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

The wallabies ones are top shelf as well