• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might as well start now as player signings are happening. Updates welcome

Brumbies Coaching Group:
Steve Larkham - Head Coach
Laurie Fisher
Rod Seib - Attack Coach
Dan Palmer

Hooker:
Connal McInerney (2023)
Billy Pollard (2023)
Lachlan Lonergan (2025)

Prop:
James Slipper (2023)
Allan Ala'alatoa (2027)
Tom Ross (2023)
Sefo Kautai (2024)
Fred Kaihea (2024)
Harry Vella (2023)

Lock:
Darcy Swain (2024)
Cadeyrn Neville (2023)
Nick Frost (2025)
Tom Hooper (2024)

Backrow:
Peter Samu (2023)
Rob Valetini (2023)
Rory Scott (2023)
Jahrome Brown (2023)
Luke Reimer (2024)
Ed Kennedy (2024)
Charlie Cale (2023)

Scrumhalf:
Ryan Lonergan (2025)
Nic White (2023)
Klayton Thorn (2023)

Flyhalf:
Noah Lolesio (2024)
Jack Debreczeni (2023)
Nathan Carroll (2023)

Centre:
Len Ikitau (2023)
Hudson Creighton (2023)
Ollie Sapsford (2023)
Chris Feauai-Sautia (2023)
Tamati Tua (2023)

Wing:
Tom Wright (2023)
Andy Muirhead (2024)
Corey Tool (2024)

Fullback:
Jesse Mogg (2023)
Declan Meredith (2023)
Ben O’Donnell (2024)

UNSIGNED:
Cam Clark (2022)
Rod Iona (2022)
Lachlan Albert (2022)

RUMOURED GONE:

CONFIRMED GONE:

Folau Fainga'a (TBC)
Tom Banks (TBC)
Irae Simone (TBC)
Scott Sio (TBC)

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Darcy Swain set to re-sign:

Folau Fainga'a could be off overseas though:
Meanwhile, 25-cap Wallaby hooker Folau Fainga’a is likely to leave the Brumbies and may have to look offshore after a cool response from other Aussie teams.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not surprising as McInerney and Pollard were already signed beyond this year, and you would expect the Brumbies to commit to keeping Lonergan long term...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely Reds & Waratahs could use FF (Folau Fainga'a)? I'm surprised by cool response. Maybe his price was way too high.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely Reds & Waratahs could use FF (Folau Fainga'a)? I'm surprised by cool response. Maybe his price was way too high.

I've heard there are a handful of Brumbies that Cheika agreed to big contracts for that will have to go OS if they want something similar as of next year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) wasn't one of the names I was told but perhaps he's in the group anyway.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I've heard there are a handful of Brumbies that Cheika agreed to big contracts for that will have to go OS if they want something similar as of next year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) wasn't one of the names I was told but perhaps he's in the group anyway.
Surely Sio is in that group, barely gets 40min a game in Super Rugby let alone at test level. Angus Bell and James Slipper far better these days. He needs to be playing in a club team where he is getting more minutes if he wants to challenge for wallaby position and top-up again

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely Sio is in that group, barely gets 40min a game in Super Rugby let alone at test level. Angus Bell and James Slipper far better these days. He needs to be playing in a club team where he is getting more minutes if he wants to challenge for wallaby position and top-up again
It's almost sad to see how far Sio has regressed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It's almost sad to see how far Sio has regressed.
It is. And it’s a bit surprising. He’s really at an age where he should be in his prime, but really seems to have dropped.

There was a story last year he was playing injured. I wonder if maybe he’s still hampered.

Hopefully whatever it is he comes through it because he would be in our top 3 LHs if he was playing near his best and that would be a real asset to our depth.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It is. And it’s a bit surprising. He’s really at an age where he should be in his prime, but really seems to have dropped.

There was a story last year he was playing injured. I wonder if maybe he’s still hampered.

Hopefully whatever it is he comes through it because he would be in our top 3 LHs if he was playing near his best and that would be a real asset to our depth.
Significantly reduced game time since Slipper arrived at Brumbies doesn’t help his cause for playing into form.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A bit of detail please Reg, otherwise this looks to be nothing more than gossip and rumourmongering. There weren't so many Brumbies in the Wallabies in Cheika's time so let's put some names to the accusation.

Scott Sio certainly was probably on a very good contract being the top rated LHP in those days. I don't think Fainga'a was one of Cheika's favourites or even if he was selected by Cheika. Ala'alatoa is most likely on top wages but deservedly so and unlikely to have his contract slashed in the near future. No current locks were part of Cheika's reign. Valetini and Samu were part players only in the Cheika era, while Tom Banks is probably the sole current backline player still playing locally.

So who are all these mysterious overpaid Brumbies who will be taking a haircut or be sending the club bankrupt?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wasn't Cheika instrumental in bringing Samu back from New Zealand? As I remember it he was a Cheika favourite until there was a falling out over some largely irrelevant bullshit.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was on quite a bit more than RA were willing to offer him now, particularly with the crop of young back rowers coming through.

Edit: Yeah, some irrelevant bullshit it was:
From a starter to not in the picture at all, Samu’s decision to attend a family wedding in early 2019 instead of a Wallabies training camp did him no favours.

Sources with knowledge of the situation say Cheika immediately put a line through Samu’s name when he decided to attend the family event.

“I’m always about the family first,” Samu said. “If I was to pick footy or family, it’d be family. If that’s the reason why I got shafted then yeah, I don’t know what to say about that.
Probably don't need to rehash the Cheika era too much, but boy am I glad to have never had him as a boss.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s possible, but Samu did just re-sign with RA…

I imagine these players mentioned would almost all be front rowers, with the exception of Nic White who was brought back from England for RWC ‘19…

The majority of the Brumbies’ Wallaby contingent were capped under Rennie.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit of detail please Reg, otherwise this looks to be nothing more than gossip and rumourmongering. There weren't so many Brumbies in the Wallabies in Cheika's time so let's put some names to the accusation.

Scott Sio certainly was probably on a very good contract being the top rated LHP in those days. I don't think Fainga'a was one of Cheika's favourites or even if he was selected by Cheika. Ala'alatoa is most likely on top wages but deservedly so and unlikely to have his contract slashed in the near future. No current locks were part of Cheika's reign. Valetini and Samu were part players only in the Cheika era, while Tom Banks is probably the sole current backline player still playing locally.

So who are all these mysterious overpaid Brumbies who will be taking a haircut or be sending the club bankrupt?

Well put it down as gossip and rumourmongering then. I’m not putting anymore detail.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Significantly reduced game time since Slipper arrived at Brumbies doesn’t help his cause for playing into form.
I think he is on the rebound after playing with niggles over the last season or so. Looking at him he appears to be physically better (he looks fitter) but is really lacking in game time and form. Hopefully it will come back like it has for Slipper who really was still a bit busted when he arrived and given time is now back to his best both physically and form wise.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sounds consistent with Cheika approach. Not much you can do if they want to case the dollars as Aussie rugby doesn't offer much sadly other than a flash in the pan half arsed perverted failed Super Rugby comp rehash (ask me what I really think of it! ;)).

FF (Folau Fainga'a) not on this list is unsurprising and I would be annoyed if he was. He has had enough chances and still a lazy player. He has been overtaken now by the newbies. With no local offerings giving him a big hint as to how he is rated, a stint O/S where his paycheque is more on the line might be a good wake up call for him.

I don't mind Aussie rugby players now having to compete for contracts and selection.