• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
0A864D21-4366-41A9-993E-0A38174F1496.jpeg

New Jersey :eek:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Old news from September, but I couldn't see it mentioned...

McCaffrey and Giteau have taken up coaching appointments at Gungahlin for next season:

Thanks for highlighting that, Slim. Love it, and really hope the best for them.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
There's no way GIO makes the list at this point. There are 10 or more better Stadia
Allianz
Accor
Bank West
Suncorp Stadium
QLD Country Bank
MCG
AAMI
Marvel
Adelaide Oval
Optus
Cbus

Should get a commission for all the brands there but there's 11 stadiums that would be instantly ahead of GIO if you don't consider the fact they have a professional team.

There would then be others on the peripheries like Newcastle and the proposed development of Penrith that would want to throw their hat in the ring as well.

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
Old news from September, but I couldn't see it mentioned...

McCaffrey and Giteau have taken up coaching appointments at Gungahlin for next season:

We've just had a young fella get signed in the Brumbies academy from our club in Brisbane & from what I've heard he's ended up at Gungahlin. What a great setup to be in, from what I've heard Gungahlin does a great job in developing young players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Probably more 2024 Brumbies news, but it looks like Ben Mowen is heading back to Canberra:
FORMER Wallabies captain Ben Mowen is preparing to say goodbye to Brisbane, with his Camp Hill Queenslander now on the market.

Mowen and his wife Lauren purchased the two-storey home back in 2015, but with opportunities now beckoning in southern New South Wales, the couple is selling the family home and preparing to move to Gundaroo, just outside of Canberra.

Article only mentions "business opportunities" with Mowen unable to say exactly what, that sounds an awful lot like an unannounced coaching appointment. Could he be joining the brumbies staff?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Probably more 2024 Brumbies news, but it looks like Ben Mowen is heading back to Canberra:

Article only mentions "business opportunities" with Mowen unable to say exactly what, that sounds an awful lot like an unannounced coaching appointment. Could he be joining the brumbies staff?

Best Wallabies captain in recent times, an outstanding leader. He as a senior leader would've likely handled the McKenzie/Beale fallout with class, while backing his coach to the bitter end & wouldn't have fostered the toxic player power culture that Hooper (c) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (co-captain) led in that critical period where Moore was out injured.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ben Mowen would always be most welcome in my book. Maybe Laurie has won a full time Wallabies' spot?

With 2023 just around the corner, might be a good time to start looking at prospects for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). Despite losing four recent or current Wallabies, the squad still looks to be strong enough to be contenders for the title in 23.

In terms of impact on the team, I think Irae Simone's departure will have most consequences. With no obvious like-for-like replacement, I think there will need to be a complete re-think about the options in the backline, especially in the 10, 12 and 15 spots and the approach to be taken to the backline attacking structures.

The forward pack looks to be one of the stronger units in the competition, but Scott Sio will be sorely missed if James Slipper is injured or otherwise rested. Fred Kaihea is a very good open play prop, but I'm not sure how he goes at set piece time. Three Wallaby hookers and a tight head prop finish off a front row that will be equal to or better than most. The Second Row is covered by three current Wallabies and one in waiting, while the back row is as dynamic and expert at their role as any.

Half back is covered with a Wallaby and another in waiting. The outside backs contain two current Wallabies in Tom Wright and Len Ikitau, and one of the better club wingers going round in Andrew Muirhead.

Which brings us back to 10, 12 and 15.

This will be probably the biggest challenge for the coaching staff in 23. Without a like-for-like No 12 to Simone, variety looks to be the spice of success in this core area. I would hope to see a hard running player in the 12 spot with a second play maker at 15. With that in mind, I hope Larkham and his coaching group keep Noah Lolesio at 10, put either Ollie Sapsford or Chris Feauai-Sautia at 12 and Jack Debreczini at 15. My preference would be for Sapsford at 12 and use CF-S as wing cover for Tom Wright. Sapsford can give the team a straight, hard running no 12 for Noah to feed to get over the gain line, while JD at No 15 could chime in to the 12 position when wider ball is called for. Alternatively, JD could also slot into first receiver and Noah could have opportunities to express himself out a little wider. Debreczini's huge boot is also an asset when clearing the ball from the danger zone.

The wider channels are well covered with Ikitau the premier No 13 in the country and Tom Wright one of the three top wingers in the Wallaby setup alongside Koroibete and Nawaqanitawase. For that reason I would like to see Wright left on the wing rather than moved to fullback. We then have cover for every position in the backline as in :

No9, White/Lonergan
No 10, Lolesio/Debreczini
No 11, Muirhead/Toole
No 12, Sapsford/Tua
No 13, Ikitau/Creighton
No 14, Wright/CF-S
No 15, Debreczini/Mogg

One last prediction. The ACT Brumbies to win the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) comp in 2023, and lead the Wallabies to win each of the Bledisloe Cup and World Cup.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tom Wright might well play fullback, that's a matter for the coaches. But in my opinion would be a mistake. With the likes of Debreczini, Mogg, Ben O'Donnell and Declan Meredith in the squad, there are plenty of options at fullback, and Tom is the best winger in the Brumbies and one of the best in the Wallabies setup. I would play him where he is best and that is at wing. He has made a pretty reasonable fist of fullback on occasions but I don't think he will be the right option at fullback for the Brumbies given the loss of Irae Simone as their second playmaker at 12. Debreczini is a playmaker and imo is better suited at 15 than at 12.

But, as I said, it will be up to the coaching staff to make those decisions.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Allianz
Accor
Bank West
Suncorp Stadium
QLD Country Bank
MCG
AAMI
Marvel
Adelaide Oval
Optus
Cbus

Should get a commission for all the brands there but there's 11 stadiums that would be instantly ahead of GIO if you don't consider the fact they have a professional team.

There would then be others on the peripheries like Newcastle and the proposed development of Penrith that would want to throw their hat in the ring as well.
I've never actually understood people using the sponsorship names to describe stadiums. I understand they have to on broadcasts due to contractual reasons/obligations, but why the news and general public do so I find beyond silly. At least their real names say something about where the stadiums actually are.

- SFS (Sydney Football Stadium)
- Stadium Australia.. or Homebush Stadium
- Parramatta Stadium (which has the commercial name CommBank now)
- Lang Park.. or Brisbane Football Stadium
- North Queensland Stadium
- MCG
(Melbourne Cricket Ground, at least is what it is)
- Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (I will admit this was an odd name, why not MFS)
- Docklands Stadium
- Adelaide Oval
(the second self explanatory one)
- Perth Stadium
- Robina Stadium
.. or Gold Coast Stadium

... and yes. All of these are superior to Canberra Stadium (GIO)... though who knows if they will want to throw a game to some of the regional centers like Canberra or even Newcastle with the Newcastle International Sports Stadium.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I've never actually understood people using the sponsorship names to describe stadiums. I understand they have to on broadcasts due to contractual reasons/obligations, but why the news and general public do so I find beyond silly. At least their real names say something about where the stadiums actually are.

- MCG
- Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (I will admit this was an odd name, why not MFS)
- Docklands Stadium
- Adelaide Oval
(the second self explanatory one)
- Perth Stadium
- Robina Stadium
.. or Gold Coast Stadium

... and yes. All of these are superior to Canberra Stadium (GIO)... though who knows if they will want to throw a game to some of the regional centers like Canberra or even Newcastle with the Newcastle International Sports Stadium.
Is that you, Australian Broadcasting Corporation?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In all my years in Melbourne I’ve never heard the phrase “Docklands Stadium”…

It’s always been referred to as Etihad or Marvel.

Reactions: dru

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

- MCG
Maybe young people who doesn't know their real names or casual supporters who don't follow any sport but if you know the real name you should called them with those names unless you work for the Media or get paid by those companies lol