• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would guess that Lolesio will go to Japan next year- it is less about Larkham and more about his Wallabies oppertunities [or lack thereof].
Yeah, a lot is going to turn on what happens with the wallabies coaching setup post world cup, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the pin early and signed os before we know what that will look like.

Reactions: mst

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Reading the posts following stadium chat has really just shown the depth the Brums have which I think will win them the Australian side of Super Rugby. Tahs improved a lot last year but the strength of the core group at the Brumbies I think may just get them ahead. I don't think they will have those slip up games that the Tahs may have a times whilst still a relatively new group as a whole.

I agree with @molman that Debrezcini is a step up from Iona and I could see him at 15 with his boot. I don't see him as a 12 personally but who knows. Mogg may play 15 but I think Wright may get a push from RA to play some time at 15 but I agree with others that he is probably the first team Wallabies starting winger with Koro (closely followed by Mark W). They will want to try Toole but he is also (in the nicest way possible) a throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks prospect similar to when the Rebels signed Huchison. I hope he's a gun but also a massive unknown. Might have to wait for injury or resting though because Muirhead deserves the start.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Reading the posts following stadium chat has really just shown the depth the Brums have which I think will win them the Australian side of Super Rugby. Tahs improved a lot last year but the strength of the core group at the Brumbies I think may just get them ahead. I don't think they will have those slip up games that the Tahs may have a times whilst still a relatively new group as a whole.

I agree with @molman that Debrezcini is a step up from Iona and I could see him at 15 with his boot. I don't see him as a 12 personally but who knows. Mogg may play 15 but I think Wright may get a push from Rugby Australia to play some time at 15 but I agree with others that he is probably the first team Wallabies starting winger with Koro (closely followed by Mark W). They will want to try Toole but he is also (in the nicest way possible) a throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks prospect similar to when the Rebels signed Huchison. I hope he's a gun but also a massive unknown. Might have to wait for injury or resting though because Muirhead deserves the start.
Brumbies have had fantastic retention and succession for a number of years, generally pulling in players who either add something or at the very least prove to be serviceable in the system. It's an area where most of the other AU Super Rugby clubs have struggled (esp. Melbourne and WA), in maintaining that mix of youth and experience and lossing players when there are options. Too many of the clubs have lost too much experience in big batches and had to go through a 'rebuilding' phase.

I tend to agree with @Brumby Runner, it's the 10/12 axis which is the most interesting. I don't see a clear and proven 12 solution. I'm not entirely sure about Ollie Sapsford and CFS has always been one of those players who never seem to hit their potential. I'm also not sure how much 12 CFS has played across his career. I always recall him more on the wing or 13 so I wonder how he'd go with the shift to 12.

Noah also needs to evolve his game. The Brumbies play off 9 quite often. I'd like to see Noah step up a little more this year and play closer to the line. I'd also like to see his kicking game keep evolving, it's an area where AU continue to lag the countries up north and a aspect of the game we really don't utilise well enough.

I'm also interested this year to also see how Mogg goes. He was playing decently o/s before his return, but I'm not sure we've seen the best of him yet, be curious if he's able to push his case this year, but the whole Wright as fullback question does remain.

Like most years, the Brumbies will be there, or there about. It's just a question of them being able to push a little more to compete with the NZ teams who have so many players capable of imposing their individual brilliance on a game. Think your Ardie's, Barretts who both caused the Brumbies some woes last year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies have had fantastic retention and succession for a number of years, generally pulling in players who either add something or at the very least prove to be serviceable in the system. It's an area where most of the other AU Super Rugby clubs have struggled (esp. Melbourne and WA), in maintaining that mix of youth and experience and lossing players when there are options. Too many of the clubs have lost too much experience in big batches and had to go through a 'rebuilding' phase.

I tend to agree with @Brumby Runner, it's the 10/12 axis which is the most interesting. I don't see a clear and proven 12 solution. I'm not entirely sure about Ollie Sapsford and CFS has always been one of those players who never seem to hit their potential. I'm also not sure how much 12 CFS has played across his career. I always recall him more on the wing or 13 so I wonder how he'd go with the shift to 12.

Noah also needs to evolve his game. The Brumbies play off 9 quite often. I'd like to see Noah step up a little more this year and play closer to the line. I'd also like to see his kicking game keep evolving, it's an area where AU continue to lag the countries up north and a aspect of the game we really don't utilise well enough.

I'm also interested this year to also see how Mogg goes. He was playing decently o/s before his return, but I'm not sure we've seen the best of him yet, be curious if he's able to push his case this year, but the whole Wright as fullback question does remain.

Like most years, the Brumbies will be there, or there about. It's just a question of them being able to push a little more to compete with the NZ teams who have so many players capable of imposing their individual brilliance on a game. Think your Ardie's, Barretts who both caused the Brumbies some woes last year.
I agree that 12 looks to be the most difficult spot to fill this year. That's partly why I think using it as simply another option for getting over the gain line with a direct runner might be the way to go in 23. Of the players available, Sapsford and CFS have the size and capability of making ground in contact. That's why I thought of them. Actually, I would prefer Sapsford in that role as CFS will probably be more useful as cover for wing or 13 as you noted.

Having a playmaker, Debreczini, at 15 would allow that method at 12 to work. It would require Noah to play flatter as you also mention to get the ball quickly and effectively into the 12's hands on the charge. The 15 playmaker can then call the shots when the ball needs to go wider to the likes of Ikitau, Wright and Muirhead, and even Moggy if he gets on the field. I actually think Moggy is well past his prime but the sight of him soaring down the sideline on the end of a backline play was always one of the more exciting aspects of earlier Brumbies' plays.

EDIT : I think that both CFS and Ollie Sapsford had some time at 12 in early season trials last year.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Ardie, as good as he is, never plays that well against Bobby V
... can't say I've focused on the match up enough to validate that statement. Seem to recall Bobby V being out in the QF against the Hurricanes last year.

Anyway, maybe Ardie wasn't a prime example, but just generally the abundance of individual talent in some of those NZ teams always makes them a hard task to bottle when a moment of one off brilliance can shift the game quickly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
According to the Canberra Times today, Ollie Sapsford looks to be firming to start in the 12 jersey. Rod Seib had some pretty good observations about him. As always though, form in the trials will be a big factor in filling a spot that has no apparent heir.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
According to the Canberra Times today, Ollie Sapsford looks to be firming to start in the 12 jersey. Rod Seib had some pretty good observations about him. As always though, form in the trials will be a big factor in filling a spot that has no apparent heir.
Well hopefully he goes well.

I actually thought the Brumbies might have swooped on one of the centers floating around after the collapse of the English clubs. Someone like a Burger Odendaal.

Last edited:

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Get the forward machine rolling again. Get the best players on

4. Swain 5. Neville
6. Frost 8. Valetini 7. Samu

19. Hooper 20. Brown

That is some back 5 with 2 very capable replacements on the bench.

Could be an interesting situation if Frost, who IMO is a front runner for a Wallabies second row spot, plays 6 for most of Super Rugby. Whilst Holloway, the incumbent Wallaby 6 plays second row for most of Super Rugby.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well hopefully he goes well.

I actually though the Brumbies might have swooped on one of the centers floating around after the collapse of the English clubs. Someone like a Burger Odendaal.

At least they are investing in an Australian even if he is just Aus qualified. Will Toole get 1st crack at the wing spot then?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is some back 5 with 2 very capable replacements on the bench.

Could be an interesting situation if Frost, who IMO is a front runner for a Wallabies second row spot, plays 6 for most of Super Rugby. Whilst Holloway, the incumbent Wallaby 6 plays second row for most of Super Rugby.
Frost did really well, but I don't think a Rodda/Frost lock combo would be great for example - lacking some engine room grunt. Frost Skelton is one I'd like to see.

If we get stuck at 3 overseas players (quade, kerevi & koroibete) then ok give rodda and frost a go but yeh - hesitant.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Don't know enough about the rest of squad but here's a NZ born heavy backline for 2023.

White, Sapsford, Lolesio, Feauai-Sautia, Ikitau, Wright, Debreczeni.

Subs: Lonergan, Creighton, Meredith.

Last edited: