• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes sense to me. If Lonergan was to get hurt you have an experienced player there and when Ryan is fit it has you in a similar situation to now with 2 Super Rugby ready 9s. Let the Brumbies develop talent properly and assess who is up to Super Rugby. I don't see the Tahs getting in the way even though he and Coleman have a long history. Teddy Wilson looks the goods to sit behind Gordon who re-signed recently.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White isn't gone yet...

Where he plays next year hinges on his Wallaby top up, which should almost be guaranteed:

"I'm not 100 per cent sure, I don't think it's true," Larkham said of the reports of White signing with the Force.

"From our perspective we know there's an ongoing negotiation with Rugby Australia and Nic White.

"On the back of that negotiation we're tied in with Rugby Australia. So I don't know where that (White signing with the Force) has come from, I certainly haven't had confirmation of that today.

"We're still hopeful. There's 'Slips' (James Slipper) and there's Whitey, both players have been here for a long time.

"They're both exceptional players, and both players that we've expressed many times now that we want to keep.

"They'll be in a situation where they would get a (RA) top-up, there's no doubt about that from our perspective."

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Article in the SMH states that he is disappointed in the offer from both RA and the Brumbies, was contemplating heading overseas but the Force have come in with an offer that’s worth considering.

Maybe I’m interpreting this wrong but I’d say he’s been offered the same RA top up but Force prepared to tip in more than Brumbies were offering.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Nic White isn't gone yet...

Where he plays next year hinges on his Wallaby top up, which should almost be guaranteed:

Wallaby top up is the issue, two other scrum halfs have been given one. Both not in Eddies squad a few weeks ago

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think White's top-up is guaranteed, he's going to be 35 in 2025, and unlikely to be in the top 2-3 halves in the country; you'd rather spend the money on up-and-comers to get them to stick around.

Alex Ross (28)
Wallaby top up is the issue, two other scrum halfs have been given one. Both not in Eddies squad a few weeks ago
Well if he can move to the Force, then it’s the Brumbies salary cap that’s the issue. His top up was big in 2023 for the RWC year to compensate for the lower amount the Brumbies could afford. RA can’t keep that up.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Well if he can move to the Force, then it’s the Brumbies salary cap that’s the issue. His top up was big in 2023 for the RWC year to compensate for the lower amount the Brumbies could afford. Rugby Australia can’t keep that up.
Exactly how I read the situation.

A example of a situation where he was on $700k, RA were contributing $550 of that and Brums making up the rest. Now they offering $250k and Brums only have $150k to chip in. Force able to offer $250k to bring it up to $500k, which is closer to his market value.

Just an example but what I think might be at play.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think White's top-up is guaranteed, he's going to be 35 in 2025, and unlikely to be in the top 2-3 halves in the country; you'd rather spend the money on up-and-comers to get them to stick around.

I don't get this thinking. He's showing no evidence of becoming non-Super level. Rugby fans seem allergic to any age with a 3 in it. I see an invaluable resource that you hang on to. I see this as argy-bargy Brumby-RA. It's stupid because it encourages players like White to go elsewhere.

He has been a huge back-stay in building the Brumbies. I'd hold on to him and work there up-and-comers separately.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't get this thinking. He's showing no evidence of becoming non-Super level. Rugby fans seem allergic to any age with a 3 in it. I see an invaluable resource that you hang on to. I see this as argy-bargy Brumby-Rugby Australia. It's stupid because it encourages players like White to go elsewhere.

He has been a huge back-stay in building the Brumbies. I'd hold on to him and work there up-and-comers separately.
Dru, what if it comes down to having enough money to keep one of White and Slipper but not both? Don't the contract values of players automatically increase when they play for the Wallabies? Wouldn't the Brumbies contracts for Lachy Lonergan, Nick Frost, Cadeyrn Neville, Billy Pollard and Noah Lolesio have increased over the past 12 months owing to their Wallaby selections?

I don't know what the Brumbies situation is regarding the salary cap this year but I am certain there would be a lot more pressure on them due to the success in getting additional players selected in the national team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, what if it comes down to having enough money to keep one of White and Slipper but not both? Don't the contract values of players automatically increase when they play for the Wallabies? Wouldn't the Brumbies contracts for Lachy Lonergan, Nick Frost, Cadeyrn Neville, Billy Pollard and Noah Lolesio have increased over the past 12 months owing to their Wallaby selections?

I don't know what the Brumbies situation is regarding the salary cap this year but I am certain there would be a lot more pressure on them due to the success in getting additional players selected in the national team.

Clearly it does BR. What you describe, imo, is the Brumbies being taxed for their success, and a long term servant of Wallabies and Australian rugby having to pay the price e. A very personal price.

I don't like it. If there is to be a draft it should be established with more visibility and honesty than this.

Yet again it seems I am an outlier on the matter, so I'll leave it alone to this - just simply I find it distasteful and very disappointing for White.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think it's the perfect outcome for Australian Rugby; it gives Lonergan more game time and gives the Force a boost in a critical position with a player of emormous experience.

I get the 'taxed for their success' comment, but I'm also massive supporter for equalisation measures that help all Aussie teams be competitive, it's traditionally a broken system in Australia.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Happens in every sporting competition in the world. Success as a team means other teams want your players. Have a look at the NRL as a prime example. The Panthers bleed 2/3 starters every year. It sucks but it's the game.

I would support a system that rewards loyalty and veterans of a club. I think this happens in competitions like the NBA that dispensation is given at a certain amount of tenure.

I'd rather a player remain at an Australian club rather than a French club come in a sign him.