• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v. Force - Canberra Stadium - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The battle of the Australian conference cellar dwellers to be played at the delightful time of 4pm on Sunday afternoon.

The Brumbies have a few injury concerns with Henry Speight out for 6-8 weeks with the dreaded syndesmosis. Huia Edmonds has a problem with his hamstring and although scans revealed no major damage, he might be ruled out and be given an extra week off as the Brumbies have have the bye after this match.
If Edmonds is ruled out, Anthony Hegarty will start and Elvis Levi will be plucked from the academy.Thank you, thank you very much!.

Also, Steve Walsh has been psyched out with a calf injury and won't officiate in this match. Keith Brown from New Zealand will take his place.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
It's now or never for the Force, but I fear it'll be heartbreak hotel for them. Put on your blue suede shoes 'cos any team with an Elvis in it just has to be a winner!

Guru

Frank Row (1)
This is an important match for both teams. I had the feeling that we would see plenty of ball movment and attacking flair, but with the appointment of Keith Brown as referee i seriously doubt that they will be able to play more than 2 or 3 phases without the whistle being blown. Unfortunate

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
That is his thing, he makes the announcement as he hands out the jerseys, until then the players don't even know.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Christ...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...brumbies-stick-to-trihalves-plan/2133717.aspx

Injury-hit Brumbies stick to tri-halves plan
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
14 Apr, 2011 06:37 AM

The injury depleted ACT Brumbies are confident their growing casualty ward will not derail their hopes of beating the Western Force on Sunday.

Coach Tony Rea will give a host of stars until tomorrow to prove they are fit for the round nine Super Rugby match at Canberra Stadium.

Though yesterday's training was intense Ben Hand left the field with blood pouring from a cut above his eye the session was missing several senior players.

Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Giteau, Huia Edmonds and Peter Kimlin failed to train at Viking Park.

Of the quartet, Edmonds is the most unlikely to play as he battles a hamstring injury.

He will have a fitness test at training tomorrow with Ashley-Cooper, Giteau and Kimlin all expected to take their place in the squad for the clash against the Force.

The Brumbies will continue with their rotating flyhalves combination of Giteau, Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano.

But a fully fit Pat McCabe could force his way into the No13 jumper, with Andrew Smith moving from outside centre to the wing, as the Brumbies chase two consecutive wins for the first time this season.

Attack coach Stephen Larkham is keen to make minimal changes to give the new tri-halves back line an opportunity to fire.

''We're keeping Coopy out of contact training and giving him to the last minute to get it right,'' Larkham said.

''A decision [on back-line positions] will be made later in the week, Patty [McCabe] can play three positions: at fullback, on the wing or at outside centre.

''We've got to look at Coopy's injury and that might mean [Francis Fainifo] coming into the team and there's a few combinations we have to look at.

''We haven't made too many changes this year to get continuity and cohesion in the group.''

Ashley-Cooper is battling a cork on his hip, but said not training early in the week would help him recover in time to play the Force. Though he played only 30 minutes of the Brumbies' one-point win over the Wellington Hurricanes last weekend, he started to recapture his best form.

Larkham said the coaches had been waiting for Ashley-Cooper to get more involved in matches, to ensure he could have a major impact on the result.

Ashley-Cooper said he finally found some rhythm against the Hurricanes.

''I was getting a little bit of ball, which was good,'' Ashley-Cooper said.

''It was just a shame, disappointing and frustrating that it only lasted 30 minutes because I felt like I could have a real impact.

''Sometimes in the back three you don't see that much ball ... I was happy with the way things were progressing in attack [against the Hurricanes].

''It's important not just to be limited to the left wing, you've got to go all over the park.''

If Ashley-Cooper misses the match, Fainifo will earn a recall after being dropped last weekend.

The Brumbies' backs and forwards depth has been severely tested this season.

Rocky Elsom, Stephen Hoiles, Stephen Moore, Mitchell Chapman and Henry Speight are already on the injured list.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Injury-hit Brumbies stick to tri-halves plan

"The Brumbies will continue with their rotating flyhalves combination of Giteau, Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano."

You have to admire doggedness and persistence.

It's all a bit reminiscent of the war on the Western Front. The First War generals didn't give up just because their men were getting slaughtered every time they charged across no-man's land. No they stuck to the game plan, presumably the logic being that if they kept trying sooner or later it might just work.

It's certainly not time for the good folk in Brumby-land to panic but perhaps some lateral thinking might be called for. Rather than having too many flyhalves has anyone thought they might have too few? Rather than "tri-halves" why not "quad-halves"? Perhaps at the captain's run they could call for volunteers. They might find that someone, back or forward, is just busting a gut to have a go.

It's obvious that I'm a 'Tahs supporter, but in the true spirit of rugby I don't mind passing on helpful suggestions as they occur to me.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

"The Brumbies will continue with their rotating flyhalves combination of Giteau, Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano."

It's all a bit reminiscent of the war on the Western Front. The First War generals didn't give up just because their men were getting slaughtered every time they charged across no-man's land. No they stuck to the game plan, presumably the logic being that if they kept trying sooner or later it might just work.

It's certainly not time for the good folk in Brumby-land to panic but perhaps some lateral thinking might be called for. Rather than having too many flyhalves has anyone thought they might have too few? Rather than "tri-halves" why not "quad-halves"? Perhaps at the captain's run they could call for volunteers. They might find that someone, back or forward, is just busting a gut to have a go.

It's obvious that I'm a 'Tahs supporter, but in the true spirit of rugby I don't mind passing on helpful suggestions as they occur to me.

Remind me again about the Horse built by a committee, how did that end up?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, really, there's only 2 flyhalves. Giteau isn't, and with To'omua (if he ever finds his form again) in the team, Lealiifano is turning himself into AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Mk 11.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thank you, Paradox. Fortunately I had flat feet and failed the medical. As in the gold rush era the streets of Melbourne seem to be paved with gold.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I must have a sick mind, but I just love the irony.

On a more serious note, this tri-halves business seems to be a giant smokescreen for what is really happening. As I see it, on attack they are playing To'omua at 10, Giteau at 12 and LL at 15. Then on defence To'omua drops back to 15 just like Cooper does. If To'omua stayed up at 10 all the time it would be what everyone on the forum was calling for in round 1. Why on earth they want to go through the blather about tri-halves except to assuage Giteau's ego is utterly beyond me. I doubt that it has confused any Super coaches, that's for sure.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's a sad indictment on the Force, that as bad as the Camels (horse built by committee) are playing I have tipped them.

Somehow I think the Force were perhaps not going as well as we thought early on in the season (excluding the Reds game), which was masked a bit by how accurately Rabbit was kicking at goal, keeping us in games where now we are falling away.

Our biggest weakness is lack of attacking options. The only way we will win this is if JOC (James O'Connor) kicks at +80% and/or creates a few tries. It will be a real measure of Richard Graham as a coach this week, to see if he brings JOC (James O'Connor) into 12. As I see it, it's his only option.

M

Moono75

Hopefully Ripia will be better off for the run last week. Shepherd has been rulled out with concussion which has resulted in some shuffeling of the deck. JOC (James O'Connor) into the centres and Cummins back on the wing. Interesting, hopefully the attack fires.

1. Kieran Longbottom
2. Ben Whittaker
3. Tim Fairbrother
4. Sam Wykes
5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
6. Richard Brown
7. Jono Jenkins
8. Ben McCalman
9. Brett Sheehan
10. Willie Ripia
11. David Smith
12. James O'Connor