• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds rd1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
great to see Toua get a shot - such a talented lad but has had heaps of injuries - reckon if he stays injury free, performs to ability then an outsider for higher honours this year

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
AWH has been exceptional in the trials and will have a blinder. Quirk needs to have a big game and I hope he does – I really really hope he does! Without Kev and DK we are missing some serious go forward. If we are not dominating the contact at the tackle then Pocock and Moore will have a field day. If our starting locks were AWH and big Ed that may help a bit as he loves the rough stuff even though he is getting on a bit and he has the benefit of experience in an otherwise youngish pack.

Our back line is capable of scoring plenty if given a solid platform but I don’t think there will be a 4 try BP on Sat night. I think we will be lucky to see 4 tries between the two teams. The Brumbies will be too organised in defence and I don’t think we will see a lot of quick ball. We may get lucky if they don’t kick well and get a few opportunities in counter attack but I'm pretty sure Lilo is generally a strong kicker so we can’t rely on this.

I reckon we will get home but it will be a low scoring and close affair.

Reds by 6.
16-10

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some of those young backrowers seem to be pretty good ball runners, so I would expect them to attack the Brumbies on the fringes. However, this tactic is fraught with risk if the ball is not secured properly in contact. And the Brumbies are perfectly capable of effecting numerous turnovers on the fringe. You are right Scoey, the likes of Ed are really going to have to front up. Same goes for Simmons.

In contrast, I would expect the Brumbies to send numerous runners down the 10 channel, and set themselves for a clean attacking raid. Forcing the Reds pigs to play tight would be key to the Brumbies strategy. That is what every super team attempts to do when playing the Reds.

What worries me is that the Brumbies have the personnel to shut down the Reds on the fringe. Nevertheless, I am predicting (hoping) the Reds will get up by 8. :)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm expecting to see more of Simmons around the paddock.
He needs to move up a gear after a disappointing finish to last year.
In the trials he played well in the line outs but nothing eye opening otherwise.
I hope he's motivated for this game. AWH might show him up a bit and get his mojo going.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
In contrast, I would expect the Brumbies to send numerous runners down the 10 channel, and set themselves for a clean attacking raid. Forcing the Reds pigs to play tight would be key to the Brumbies strategy. That is what every super team attempts to do when playing the Reds.

Agree about the Brumbies tactics, this was amplified last season with Larkham encouraging the 10 to run beside or through the opposing 10. Totally pumped to see Lealiifano playing again, he got 8/10 MoM awards last season before the injury, hope he can realise that same form again. Aleuia on the bench has shows how deep the brums squad is, as does Kuridrani not making the squad at all.

I really think the Brumbies have to much firepower for the reds in this one. Last season they choked against the reds, only playing worse against the blues. If they just play to their normal level they will account for the Reds, but if they freeze up again the reds are experienced enough to take it away.

My prediction : Brumbies by 12, practically full strength (I mean where would you slot McCabe anyway) and are stronger for last years experience. The Reds will miss Wills (Genia and Hor) their only hope is for some Quooper magic, but we all know it can cut both ways and I expect the crowd to be somewhat on his case.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It is going to take a massive effort from the reds forward pack if Queensland are going to win this game. With the emergence of Browning and Ah-Wong, the next few games may well be quirks last chance to step up. If not I can see him at the force or rebels next year.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
It will be interesting to see how Lilo and To'omua go after both had long layoffs from serious injury. I don't expect them to pick up where they left off. I think Genia will be the same when he returns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T

tranquility

It is going to take a massive effort from the reds forward pack if Queensland are going to win this game. With the emergence of Browning and Ah-Wong, the next few games may well be quirks last chance to step up. If not I can see him at the force or rebels next year.

I really don't understand this train of thought.

Browning and Ah-Wong are good prospects, who haven't done anything yet. Quirk is at this stage our starting blindside. The positions is his to lose.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The loss of Fainga'a for the Reds seals this. Lealiifano is going to have a field day, setting up Mogg, Speight and Rathbone, running at a backline without a defensive general.

Excellent news for the Brumbies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The loss of Fainga'a for the Reds seals this. Lealiifano is going to have a field day, setting up Mogg, Speight and Rathbone, running at a backline without a defensive general.

Excellent news for the Brumbies.

I don't know about that. Finger might be gone, but if the Reds go for Lance and Taps in the centres they lose nothing. There are a few other combinations the Reds have up their sleeve, losing Finger isn't as bad as it seems.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The second option is 12-Harris, 13- Tapuai, 15- Toua. This is also a relatively secure option, as explained above, along with Toua playing most of his rugby at 15. But given Morahan's absence, this doesn't make sense given that Morahan is surley ranked above Toua as a fullback.

Then you have the options including Jono Lance. Lance can play at 15 in the above situation, like he did in 2011. But he seems more at home in the midfield. So another confirguration is to have him line-up at 12 with Tapuai at 13.

I'm fairly certain we will see the set-up I first outlined. But Morahan must of played like shit in the trials to miss out on the 22 all together, he would of made at decent option on the bench at the least.

Reports of the Blues game were that Morahan played well. I'm hoping this is just a case of letting him play a full 80 minutes for Reds College rather than having him sit on the bench. He's can be a very effective player at Super level.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I don't know about that. Finger might be gone, but if the Reds go for Lance and Taps in the centres they lose nothing. There are a few other combinations the Reds have up their sleeve, losing Finger isn't as bad as it seems.

Agreed... Lance in particular is an extremely good defender, especially in the 10/12 channel. To be honest I think if anything we gain more in attack and lose next to nothing in D if they go for 12. Lance 13. Taps(without Ant). And it's not like Smith sets the world on fire with his attacking game

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
You guys have no idea how important Ant is to your game.

Uh huh. Funny thing about depth, you can lose an important player yet not have the team compromised. Exactly the case with Finger. I recognise that Finger is an important part of the Reds machine. However, I am not silly enough to write them off because he is injured. Why you might ask? Because I am confident in the guys who will replace him. Depth.

T

TOCC

He is the defensive lynchpin of the back line, but the reds are far better off in depth compared to last year when he was injured..he will be missed, but it's not the end of the world..

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
You guys have no idea how important Ant is to your game.
I think you will find that I do understand Ant is a huge cog in one of the Reds' game plans. What he does in defence, his work around the breakdowns out wider and his ability to stop the attack(momentum) as well as force a turnover is important when a large number of the reds tries are scored off turnover pill. And his straight running does hold up the D line. But Red Baron & TOCC hit the nail on the head... with the DEPTH we have this year it doesn't bother me as much as last year and I certainly don't think we are going to lose this game because Ant isn't playing. I'm excited to see others get a chance and offer something different... I'm excited to see 2 attacking centres with the ability to ball play as well as run the pill working outside QC (Quade Cooper). I'm hoping we gain another string in our bow in attack which was sorely missing last year(due to many factors).

T

tranquility

If we are to go with a center combination of Jono and Ben, I would still prefer that Ben play 12.

What are our other options, based on the squad...

Sautia - Probably too inexperienced, but how exciting would that combo be?
Toua -Having watched him play alot of schoolboy rugby it's odd to talk about Aidan as a center. He is a flyhalf cum fullback. In saying that there would be very few players in any Australian super rugby squad that understand footy the way he does. If he stays healthy, he is a genius.
Shipperley - I think one day that Shippers could play 13, but that day has not come.
Harris - I have touted this move before, but mainly due to the fact that I don't want to see Taps wasted at 13. The thought of 12. Ben, 13 Harris, 15 Toua is improbable but also pretty exciting. Harris is a good front on defender.

Morahan for mind has such potential at 13, and has played so much rugby there at club level where he has absolutely dominated. Strange that Link isn't too keen on the idea. He practically plays fullback as a 13 anyhow.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Morahan for mind has such potential at 13, and has played so much rugby there at club level where he has absolutely dominated. Strange that Link isn't too keen on the idea. He practically plays fullback as a 13 anyhow.
My thoughts exactly, would love to see him at 13 for the reds outside QC (Quade Cooper) and Taps... I wonder what he has done wrong/why link isn't keen on him at 13.

In agreeance with your thoughts on Sautia & Toua as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.